HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Max Altitude! Needs to feel smoother and maybe changed_

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Max altitude (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the max altitude be a point on the map or be calculated from where you started flying_

1. A point at the top of the map. (17 votes [58.62%])

Percentage of vote: 58.62%

2. Calculated from where you are flying. (12 votes [41.38%])

Percentage of vote: 41.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:07 AM

The feeling of hitting max altitude is almost like there is a net when you hit max altitude keeping you down.

The feeling I get should be more your jets just run out of propulsion and you start falling back down. It needs to be a bit smoother and less jerky is basically what i'm saying.

As a side note

It seems like the max altitude is calculated from where you left off so I have been able to fly up somewhere and for a split second hit the ground at my Max altitude and then keep flying up.
This might because devs don't want players flying way too high but it feels very off to me.

Poll for opinions on it.

Edited by Necro, November 22 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#2 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:20 PM

at the very least, make it a smooth balistic curve. Right now it pretty much feels like hitting an invisible ceiling

Edited by Hipnox, November 22 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 22 2012 - 01:26 PM

And what you think about  : use thrusters for longer periods of time.

For me overboard, now instead of one to overcome such a ramp upwards, can easily jump to a height of two and still have a lot of fuel in reserve. Where is the place for learning maps.

A - class mech just flies around the map and overcome larger distances are no problem

TDM changed into a bunnyhoping fest.

I understand the need to increase Possibility gets a higher place on the map and and it gets the AA guns without burning all fuel but taking into account how it can be further enhanced is way to much now imho.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#4 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted November 22 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hey Guys,

This has already been explained in a thread of mine and likely many other threads, here is a quote from Scapes himself (Meteor Entertainment)

View PostScapes, on October 26 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

The "max altitude" refers to the height your mech is capable of hovering above the surface below it. You aren't hitting an invisible ceiling; your mech simply cannot hover any higher above the ground. To climb to new heights, you'll want to hover over incrementally taller platforms which will send your mech skyward again. Think of it as your mech "pushing" off the surface beneath it. This will allow you to scale many of the buildings in HAWKEN's maps.

http://community.pla...maps-is-to-low/

After having it explained properly how the mechanic actually works, I have no issue with it. I do though think the actual stopping at max altitude could be smoothed out somewhat, so you come to a gradual halt instead of just stopping against what seems an invisible barrier.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#5 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostGagzila, on November 22 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

This has already been explained in a thread of mine and likely many other threads, here is a quote from Scapes himself (Meteor Entertainment)

The "max altitude" refers to the height your mech is capable of hovering above the surface below it. You aren't hitting an invisible ceiling; your mech simply cannot hover any higher above the ground. To climb to new heights, you'll want to hover over incrementally taller platforms which will send your mech skyward again. Think of it as your mech "pushing" off the surface beneath it. This will allow you to scale many of the buildings in HAWKEN's maps.

After having it explained properly how the mechanic actually works, I have no issue with it. I do though think the actual stopping at max altitude could be smoothed out somewhat, so you come to a gradual halt instead of just stopping against what seems an invisible barrier.

Cheers,

Gagzila

Thanks for the info and the thread link but the thread is mostly about smoothing the feeling out, not the mechanics behind it and why it acts like it does, The poll was just a side note to add more too it. I prolly should have put it in the suggestion forums but too late for that.

Edited by Necro, November 22 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#6 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:33 PM

Needs a third option, "Calculated from what is currently underneath you" which is how it it now and works fine.

IMO, hovering should cost slightly less fuel to make platform climbing faster/less incredibly stressful, but the max altitude itself is fine. It's a great tool for map designers and benefits smart players.

Posted Image

#7 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostImmie, on November 22 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Needs a third option, "Calculated from what is currently underneath you" which is how it it now and works fine.

IMO, hovering should cost slightly less fuel to make platform climbing faster/less incredibly stressful, but the max altitude itself is fine. It's a great tool for map designers and benefits smart players.

That's what the 2nd option is_ you start flying from where you left the ground no_

#8 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 07:52 PM

Where you start flying has nothing to do with what's directly under you. If the max altitude was based on where you started, you wouldn't be able to climb up ramps/buildings etc.

Edited by Immie, November 22 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well that just semantics, it's the same thing really.

I changed a word for you there :)

#10 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:20 PM

Works for me. :P

Posted Image

#11 Snoof

Snoof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:23 PM

Voted on calculated height, then read the explanation *facepalmed*
Posted Image

#12 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostGagzila, on November 22 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

Cheers,

Gagzila

Pretty much this, felt weird at first but then you get used to it an realize what's really going on. Then buildings with a small addons are basically steep ramps, albeit only mountable while floating.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#13 BucketOfSkin

BucketOfSkin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationYour mom's house

Posted November 29 2012 - 12:43 AM

How about an option to push past the max alt feature by overheating your mech_