HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On the current matchmaking system.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:58 AM

New functionality I'd suggest:, as control buttons or a drop-down list on the form..:

1.- Challenge: To find a game against players with higher rank and/or experience. Pilots succeding under this condition might be rewarded somehow.

* Variants per team_

2.- Support: Find a game in which your team mates have lower rank than you. Pilots succeding under this condition might be rewarded somehow as well.

* Variants per team_

3.- Random: To find a game without considering XP nor rank of involved players.

Pretty raw analysis I know but I think these concepts may be pretty promising.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by The_Silencer, November 22 2012 - 01:47 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 22 2012 - 11:37 PM

*bump*

"Can you see it_"..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 23 2012 - 06:20 AM

How about being able to play a game with your friends...
Posted Image

#4 NY_TimeBombTimmy

NY_TimeBombTimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationB-LO

Posted November 23 2012 - 07:45 AM

I like where you're going with this. Here's my revision.

1. - Random: Find a game without considering XP/rank/play time of involved players. No rewards. (Default selection)

2. - Balance: Find a game against players/teams with similar XP/rank/play time. No rewards.

3. - Challenge: Find a game against players/teams with higher XP/rank/play time. Automatic reward of 1.5x XP for the match made game, any further games on the server do not have the reward.

(Team games only)

4. - Support: Find a game in which your team mates have lower XP/rank/play time than you. Automatic reward of 1.5x XP for the match made game, any further games on the serve do not have the reward.

Mentioned rewards are just initial thoughts.

Edited by NY_TimeBombTimmy, November 23 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 23 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostStealth_303, on November 23 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

How about being able to play a game with your friends...

That would certainly be great.

View PostNY_TimeBombTimmy, on November 23 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

I like where you're going with this. Here's my revision.

1. - Random: Find a game without considering XP/rank/play time of involved players. No rewards. (Default selection)

2. - Balance: Find a game against players/teams with similar XP/rank/play time. No rewards.

3. - Challenge: Find a game against players/teams with higher XP/rank/play time. Automatic reward of 1.5x XP for the match made game, any further games on the server do not have the reward.

(Team games only)

4. - Support: Find a game in which your team mates have lower XP/rank/play time than you. Automatic reward of 1.5x XP for the match made game, any further games on the serve do not have the reward.

Mentioned rewards are just initial thoughts.

Looks good. ;)

Posted Image

#6 Binary_Agenda

Binary_Agenda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 23 2012 - 12:55 PM

I don't think there is any match making right now.  I just finished a game that started with a level 14 and level 11 on a team with three level 0's agains a team with me being level 3 and two level 0's.  Needless to say we stood no chance playing 3vs5 and I'm pretty sure having almost no upgrades didn't help us against their high level team members.  So I'm thinking some kind of autobalance at a minium would be nice.

#7 Titzilla

Titzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationBehind Cover

Posted November 23 2012 - 01:46 PM

I don't know if I like the idea of adding a "Challenge" option. What if the player isn't good enough to tackle the more experienced players_ You may argue that the point of the options is to make it a challenge, but that disregards how the more experienced players feel about that. It's not like they want to always be playing people who they stomp every time. Also, how would the matchmaking work_ Does it just look for a room that fits each criteria and it changes depending on the player_ Would the same room apply for all three suggested options for three different players_

Overall, I feel like it would just lead to even more imbalanced games. The best direction to take is to find a way to accurately create games with players of similar skill.
Posted Image

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 23 2012 - 03:31 PM

Team modes should be balanced taking that what you mentioned above into consideration. Although a common Challenge option could fit better in DM matches. But 2 approaches of it look pretty interesting.

Posted Image

#9 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted November 23 2012 - 08:46 PM

Are you suggesting pulling XP / rank information from the player's overall information or from a given mech_  Don't forget that you don't chose your mech until after you've joined a game and can have a choice between a level 20 assault and a level 0 rocketeer.

#10 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 24 2012 - 10:41 AM

See my other post - on vote on rebalance
Posted Image

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 24 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostNBShoot_me, on November 23 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Are you suggesting pulling XP / rank information from the player's overall information or from a given mech_  Don't forget that you don't chose your mech until after you've joined a game and can have a choice between a level 20 assault and a level 0 rocketeer.

Then calculate an average value according to what toys the players own.

An special check of the latency spikes would be appreciated as well (at the start and at the end of the procedure ). Once thing is for certain, if a guy with a high ping gets in the game then it's gonna be laggy as hell (big maps a side).

Edit: Don't know on whether the MM system refreshes the "pilots in game" lists to be more current on half-empty matches and fill 'em up more efficiently.

Edited by The_Silencer, November 24 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users