HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggestions/Ideas Master List

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#21 HappyApathy1

HappyApathy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted June 03 2011 - 03:19 AM

Flyingdebris said:

3rd person would still allow for tactics such as peeking around corners without exposing yourself.

IMO, 3rd person isn't necessary and should be avoided.  Once you know what your mech looks like, what more do you want_  If you want to note how cool mechs look on the outside, pay more attention to your allies and opponents.

But you'll never get to how cool YOUR mech looks like from the outside  :cry: , there's a difference between viewing your mech idly standing in the garage versus seeing it all-guns-a-blazing-ground-shaking-glory.

While I have no problems with this been a FPS I do wish there was a way to see what others see, like having a sports car but only ever been allowed to see the interior of it while you drive it, it would also be great for screenshots of yourself too.

#22 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 03 2011 - 10:09 AM

beyond a cursory glance, i'm honestly not that curious.  I'm more concerned with how they look like from the inside.
Mech time all the time

#23 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 05 2011 - 09:22 AM

HappyApathy said:

Flyingdebris said:

3rd person would still allow for tactics such as peeking around corners without exposing yourself.

IMO, 3rd person isn't necessary and should be avoided.  Once you know what your mech looks like, what more do you want_  If you want to note how cool mechs look on the outside, pay more attention to your allies and opponents.

But you'll never get to how cool YOUR mech looks like from the outside  :cry: , there's a difference between viewing your mech idly standing in the garage versus seeing it all-guns-a-blazing-ground-shaking-glory.

While I have no problems with this been a FPS I do wish there was a way to see what others see, like having a sports car but only ever been allowed to see the interior of it while you drive it, it would also be great for screenshots of yourself too.

I personally am fine with either but I would believe it would be best (if they include 3rd person) to three playlists for first person, third person, and mixed.
(/^▽^)/

#24 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 13 2011 - 01:57 PM

This is definitely a nice list, Ashfire908. Keep it alive! ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#25 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 06:58 AM

Suggestions:

Option game play elements:

1. Option for infinite fuel and infinite ammo.

Flying and hovering is always fun.

2. Weapon tweaking.

How fast, momentum, damage and repetition on each weapon similar to Unreal III elite weapons "mutator".

3. Bots with degrees of difficulty.

Since the engine is the Unreal engine III, you can program your AI for practice and performance. Obviously that will require programming with the parameters on this game.

4. Damage option.

All these options are alternate. They don't have to be imposed.

#26 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 10:02 AM

Sorry for the long span of inactivity. I got a bit behind and catching up on all the posts became less and less appealing (I read every post and topic on the forums). I'm burning though my large backlog of posts right now and I should be able to get an update for the list out soon.

Edit: Finally done checking the posts on the other boards, on through the suggestions now (1.5 pages of topics, fun times)

Edit 2: Why did I ever make this list... Half the posts are still going to be duplicates made by people who joined to make sure that one thing they wanted in was included in the game and then they never come back... Oh well... I'm down to 1 page.

Edit 3: Polishing up the list, update will be done soon.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#27 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 02:23 PM

Stuff I'm not sure if I'm going to put on the list. If you disagree let me know, these are sorta borderline.

Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#28 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 03:54 PM

I finally completed updating the list. Let me know if I've made any errors.

Also just a heads up, you can discuss stuff in this topic, however unlike the SESC and TWST, the discussions will not be added to the list. For now, I'm just listing topics. If I switched to listing every idea in detail like the SESC, first it would be too long and defeat the point as being a jumping off point for discussion, and second, I'd have to re-review the 120 topics and 1045 posts on this forum to compile all the ideas. It took me like 5 hours just to catch up on the past couple weeks of posts on this board.

#29 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the list.

Good job keeping us updated. Besides It's interesting how this humble team can be easily compared to big league developers out there and the job of this humble team looks way better than well renamed franchises.

#30 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 17 2011 - 10:23 AM

Ashfire908 said:

Stuff I'm not sure if I'm going to put on the list. If you disagree let me know, these are sorta borderline.

Show me it! :P  ( j/k)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#31 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 20 2011 - 04:59 AM

Another suggestion.

Please release it for PC only.

Later focus on next generation consoles for 2012 or 2013. The PS3 and the 360 are weak old consoles for a game of this magnitude. It's dumb to throw a gimped version of Hawken tarnishing the reputation of the team who worked so hard to achieve quality like the one we are seeing now in Hawken.

#32 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 06:23 AM

Wow.  Are you serious_

No, these graphics will work fine on 360 or PS3.  A ton of people already have a PS3 or 360.  Even if those consoles were released in the middle of 2012(which they probably aren't) only hundreds of thousands would have them, instead of tens of millions.

Quit spouting hyperbole.

#33 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 21 2011 - 09:02 AM

MechMechanics1 said:

Another suggestion.

Later focus on next generation consoles for 2012 or 2013. The PS3 and the 360 are weak old consoles for a game of this magnitude. It's dumb to throw a gimped version of Hawken tarnishing the reputation of the team who worked so hard to achieve quality like the one we are seeing now in Hawken.

Either your selfish or you truely believe that releasing a game for consoles will tarnish the teams reputation.

Either way your view is biased towards the belief that PC is superior to consoles.
Why must you have all the fun to yourself_
(/^▽^)/

#34 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 10:46 AM

Varaka said:

MechMechanics1 said:

Another suggestion.

Either your selfish or you truely believe that releasing a game for consoles will tarnish the teams reputation.

Either way your view is biased towards the belief that PC is superior to consoles.

lol

I feel ashamed that I had to waste 45 seconds of my life to read that post.

FYI their using the UDK. Please Edge-A-Ma-Kate ur self.

Their REP. lol
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#35 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 21 2011 - 05:50 PM

1)aKillArmy said:

Varaka said:

MechMechanics1 said:

Another suggestion.

lol

I feel ashamed that I had to waste 45 seconds of my life to read that post.

FYI their using the UDK. Please Edge-A-Ma-Kate ur self.

Their REP. lol

Please forgive me for my post fueled by PC anger, I completely apologize.
But what does UDK have to do with this.
(/^▽^)/

#36 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 09:04 PM

innociv said:

Wow.  Are you serious_

Yep, I am.

The game should be released only for PC. The PS3 and the 360 are old weak console for a game of this caliber. The game will be gimped to no end on the consoles. Better to develop for PC and then focus on the next generation of consoles like the 720 and the PS4.

innociv said:

No, these graphics will work fine on 360 or PS3.  A ton of people already have a PS3 or 360.  Even if those consoles were released in the middle of 2012(which they probably aren't) only hundreds of thousands would have them, instead of tens of millions.

Quit spouting hyperbole.

Wrong, you obviously know nothing about computer graphics. The PS3 and the 360 are old architecture with 256 and 512 of Ram memory. The video cards are very old and they don't have support for DX11 and procedural tessellation. Those consoles are weak, old and powerless for a game of this quality.

Sorry but you have to spend on a good PC. Get a better job. It's easy.

#37 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 25 2011 - 09:10 PM

Typical clueless console peasants, lol.

Varaka said:

The game is designed for PC and the PC gamer. Consoles only bring up more constraints for the game designer gimping the game quality, graphics, level design and destructibility.

Varaka said:

PC > consoles.

That's a fact. I don't need to prove it. You rather accept it learning to live with it. I have consoles and a good rig. You can easily do the same. There are games that work fine for consoles and games that are better suited for PC. Hawken is a game destined for PC only.

Besides check out the polls. 75 persent agree on PC only release.

viewtopic.php_f=3&t=32&start=80

There.

#38 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 25 2011 - 09:16 PM

MechMechanics1 said:

Another suggestion.

I wrote the message below eariler today to blow off some steam (and not actually post it), but now that Mech Mechanic is actually pushing this still, I'm just going to post it.

Dude, shut up already. Just cause you hate consoles (I suspect you hate consoles because you blame them for all the issues in gaming, in the same way all the issues in the United States is blamed on the president) doesn't mean you have to keep spreading your hate around. I thought you got it out of your system earlier in the Preferred Platform thread. At this point I've stopped actually reading your arguments as you just keep using the same couple over and over. The horse is dead, you can stop beating it.

#39 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted June 27 2011 - 06:06 AM

Let me ask you this:

Are you serious_

Results speak by themselves. What else do you need_

viewtopic.php_f=3&t=32&p=3175#p3175

Ashfire908 said:

Dude, shut up already.

Being condemned of repeating history may be a foult. A mistake happens when you do nothing to remove the foult. The trade of development becomes compromised when your architecture is limited. I don't know of you are aware of the downgrade of many games due to the limited architecture. A constraint happens when you project a game destined to one medium.

If for economical reasons you change your schedule, your project becomes compromised to the architecture. You loose control of your design and loose control of your projected parameters. This is not my way of thinking. This is what happens when you work in architecture, engineering or game design.

Ashfire908 said:

Just cause you hate consoles (I suspect you hate consoles because you blame them for all the issues in gaming, in the same way all the issues in the United States is blamed on the president) doesn't mean you have to keep spreading your hate around.

You are free to give away quality. It's up to you. As a designer and student of architecture your expectations are inscribed to the best result. When you work with five year old hardware with a limited Ram you are forced to do compensations. In the early design process you compromise the expectations of the game adjusting your parameters to the lowest denominator, the 360. That compromise the quality on the PS3 and the PC. Up to now we have cards like the 6990 HD with 4 Gb of ram memory.

Once you enjoy this type of quality. It's hard to turn your back. The open world and the nature of the quality goes off on fixed SKUs. If good hardware is built, the intention of it is to use it.

You misunderstood my claims with the word of hate. Sorry but those are evident facts. Those can't be denied or insinuate any possible discussion on them. The technology is built with the intention to progress. You harness resources and harness the computational power of the I7 with the intention to extend the boundaries on what games are.

Hawken is a realistic looking game that demands details, reflection, refraction, speculation, photon bouncing, fracture, partial destruction, dynamic fog, complex motion blur, camera blur and many other things for the immersible factor.

Anything on console works perfectly like Red Dead Redemption but the design idea behind Hawken is to cause a sense of realism. That artistic intention and sense demands resources and graphical quality. Morover, you need a steade frame rate of 45 to 60 frames for it.

Ashfire908 said:

I thought you got it out of your system earlier in the Preferred Platform thread. At this point I've stopped actually reading your arguments as you just keep using the same couple over and over. The horse is dead, you can stop beating it.

Obviously you are clueless. While you try to get out of your naive point of view think on the following:

1. Do you want to trade quality at this stage of development cutting in half the capacity of the game_

2. Do you want to compromise the quality because other people want to play them in console, a caprice of commodity instead of convenience_

3. Do you think that developing for PC first, built up resources, reputation and a basic infrastructure should be compromised due to the need of quick money making on consoles_

This dead horse, as you call it, compromised Crytek sales. The same dead horse took BioWare by surprise with Dragon Age II and their next Star Wars. You see, this dead horse has the ability to cut off large companies from their standards. Do you want a small team follow the same road with their first game_

If you want that, then I honestly don't know why you even care to play games. You should drop it and do something else with your life.

#40 Varaka

Varaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted June 27 2011 - 09:38 AM

MechMechanics1 said:

Let me ask you this:

Are you serious_

Results speak by themselves. What else do you need_

viewtopic.php_f=3&t=32&p=3175#p3175

Ashfire908 said:

Dude, shut up already.

Being condemned of repeating history may be a foult. A mistake happens when you do nothing to remove the foult. The trade of development becomes compromised when your architecture is limited. I don't know of you are aware of the downgrade of many games due to the limited architecture. A constraint happens when you project a game destined to one medium.

If for economical reasons you change your schedule, your project becomes compromised to the architecture. You loose control of your design and loose control of your projected parameters. This is not my way of thinking. This is what happens when you work in architecture, engineering or game design.

Ashfire908 said:

Just cause you hate consoles (I suspect you hate consoles because you blame them for all the issues in gaming, in the same way all the issues in the United States is blamed on the president) doesn't mean you have to keep spreading your hate around.

You are free to give away quality. It's up to you. As a designer and student of architecture your expectations are inscribed to the best result. When you work with five year old hardware with a limited Ram you are forced to do compensations. In the early design process you compromise the expectations of the game adjusting your parameters to the lowest denominator, the 360. That compromise the quality on the PS3 and the PC. Up to now we have cards like the 6990 HD with 4 Gb of ram memory.

Once you enjoy this type of quality. It's hard to turn your back. The open world and the nature of the quality goes off on fixed SKUs. If good hardware is built, the intention of it is to use it.

You misunderstood my claims with the word of hate. Sorry but those are evident facts. Those can't be denied or insinuate any possible discussion on them. The technology is built with the intention to progress. You harness resources and harness the computational power of the I7 with the intention to extend the boundaries on what games are.

Hawken is a realistic looking game that demands details, reflection, refraction, speculation, photon bouncing, fracture, partial destruction, dynamic fog, complex motion blur, camera blur and many other things for the immersible factor.

Anything on console works perfectly like Red Dead Redemption but the design idea behind Hawken is to cause a sense of realism. That artistic intention and sense demands resources and graphical quality. Morover, you need a steade frame rate of 45 to 60 frames for it.

Ashfire908 said:

I thought you got it out of your system earlier in the Preferred Platform thread. At this point I've stopped actually reading your arguments as you just keep using the same couple over and over. The horse is dead, you can stop beating it.

Obviously you are clueless. While you try to get out of your naive point of view think on the following:

1. Do you want to trade quality at this stage of development cutting in half the capacity of the game_

2. Do you want to compromise the quality because other people want to play them in console, a caprice of commodity instead of convenience_

3. Do you think that developing for PC first, built up resources, reputation and a basic infrastructure should be compromised due to the need of quick money making on consoles_

This dead horse, as you call it, compromised Crytek sales. The same dead horse took BioWare by surprise with Dragon Age II and their next Star Wars. You see, this dead horse has the ability to cut off large companies from their standards. Do you want a small team follow the same road with their first game_

If you want that, then I honestly don't know why you even care to play games. You should drop it and do something else with your life.

1. I for one do not care about graphics and would still be happy if it had Halo 3 Graphics.

2. Yes I believe compramise(sp_) should be taken to give everybody an experience with this awesome looking game.

3. Consoles aren't quick money. Adhesive wants to share the experience with more than just the PC.

4.Also Adhesive already has controls made for consoles and PC so the controls do not need to be dumbed down.

5.I actually Quite enjoyed Crysis 2.

6. Also peoples platform preferance doesn't mean they want to withold the game from others.

7. Also I really hope no new consoles are released I am completely content with my 360.

8. Not everybody in the world has a hardcore gaming PC .
(/^▽^)/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users