HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Devs, question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 13 2011 - 05:38 PM

Have you taken any position on mods_

the mods i speak of are like the ones for Hon (heroes of newerth), They modify just about everything in the game including GUI. Some even automate things ingame that the player would normally have to do manually.  S2 directly supports the modding of their game.
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#2 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 13 2011 - 11:45 PM

If the Devs, after release, allow us to create maps using their UDK content...expect a map from me!  :mrgreen:
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#3 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 14 2011 - 12:41 PM

i'd love to get in on some modding fun. Thats for sure.

Lots of people will undoubted love the game, but some parts of the sim crowd might find the vanilla game a bit too fast, bits of the arcade crowd might find it too slow, some people might want an even more claustrophobic cockpit, others might want it more open, some want more hud, some want less,  Some want fights to more be quick, deadly and decisive than they already are, others might want fights to last longer and allow more time for both participants to use all sorts of abilities vs each other. Some might want more jump jetting, others might want minimal jump jetting.  So on and so forth.  And some people might just have some crazy idea that fits well for the framework of the game, and create all new original content.

Now you can't normally cater to everyone, cause then you please no one.  But you can give people the means to cater to their own taste, and thus people that normally would have passed the game up for being "too X" or "not having enough Y" will have to reconsider when they get told by someone "oh yeah someone made a mod for that, you should totally play!"

Just look at STALKER, that game is still going strong, and a lot of that is owed to the fact the game is so flexible.  Entire communities have sprung up around certain mods.  And they constantly promote the original game to newcomers and teach them how to get started.  Often with the often repeated tagline, "play the vanilla game first, then play with (insert mod here)"
Mech time all the time

#4 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 15 2011 - 04:07 PM

Modding enlarges the life of the game, despite what the publisher says on this matter. Although the real world is like it is most of the times.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#5 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 15 2011 - 08:15 PM

The mod i am talking about modify the game just for the player using the mod and are used in "vanilla" games. Some claim they are like hax.
Posted Image

#6 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 16 2011 - 05:00 AM

oh, those kinda mods, ehhh....

beyond keybindings and graphics i'd rather not see individual modding that can be taken into the vanilla multiplayer.  As that would really open the doors for people to gain unfair advantages.  

For MMOs and RTS it works cause most of the game is based on character abilities rather than player abilities.  And as such changing the skin of your opponents or rearranging your GUI makes no real impact on the game beyond personal preference and ergonomics.

For a game that is more reaction based however, its better to keep things on an even playing field.  You don't want players running around with their cockpit interior completely transparent, all their hud info neatly stacked in a bottom corner, and all their enemies appearing with bright neon orange skins, as it gives unfair advantage. (reminds me back to ye old days where the asshole quake 3 players would play the game with the graphics turned so far down that enemies stood out like sore thumbs as bright red or blue textureless models on flat backgrounds, and all weaponfire fx looked like flashing squares) If a mod wants to make it so everyone gets these features, fine, but if i'm  playing against someone in a vanilla game, i'd like them to have to deal with the same issues i do, more or less.
Mech time all the time

#7 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 16 2011 - 11:46 AM

Flyingdebris said:

beyond keybindings and graphics i'd rather not see individual modding that can be taken into the vanilla multiplayer.  As that would really open the doors for people to gain unfair advantages.  

For MMOs and RTS it works cause most of the game is based on character abilities rather than player abilities.  And as such changing the skin of your opponents or rearranging your GUI makes no real impact on the game beyond personal preference and ergonomics.

For a game that is more reaction based however, its better to keep things on an even playing field.  You don't want players running around with their cockpit interior completely transparent, all their hud info neatly stacked in a bottom corner, and all their enemies appearing with bright neon orange skins, as it gives unfair advantage. (reminds me back to ye old days where the asshole quake 3 players would play the game with the graphics turned so far down that enemies stood out like sore thumbs as bright red or blue textureless models on flat backgrounds, and all weaponfire fx looked like flashing squares) If a mod wants to make it so everyone gets these features, fine, but if i'm  playing against someone in a vanilla game, i'd like them to have to deal with the same issues i do, more or less.

very good points, I agree. i use those kinds of mods in a game called hon, but it is close to an rts, and is mostly based on player skill. That is why i am asking if the have taken a side on these kinds of mods.
Posted Image

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 16 2011 - 01:06 PM

Flyingdebris said:

For a game that is more reaction based however, its better to keep things on an even playing field.  You don't want players running around with their cockpit interior completely transparent, all their hud info neatly stacked in a bottom corner, and all their enemies appearing with bright neon orange skins, as it gives unfair advantage. ...

LOL , that is a very bad scenario, indeed! :D

I'd better like to see new scenarios/maps and 2D/3D stuff as mods.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#9 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted May 17 2011 - 02:21 AM

I think that community maps at least would be a good thing!  :)
There are some excellent mappers in the gaming community that can keep a game feeling fresh long after it's release date!  
If they are given the tools, which they have in this case (as UDK is free to download), and are allowed access to the game assets then some great community maps shall be made :!:
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users