HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Notice to Noobies

Announcement Community Event Exclusive Forum Game Introduction Website Patch Update

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Starting out: Tutorials (334 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of tutorials would you like to see_{select all that apply}

1. Player based interaction (111 votes [12.92%])

Percentage of vote: 12.92%

2. Video scripted (54 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

3. Combination Tutorial {Of the Above 2 Choices} (96 votes [11.18%])

Percentage of vote: 11.18%

4. Interactive Arena {Test my mech without penalty or pressure} (252 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

5. Mech Specific {Video Based} (93 votes [10.83%])

Percentage of vote: 10.83%

6. Mech Specific {Player Interaction} (133 votes [15.48%])

Percentage of vote: 15.48%

7. Sink or Swim {No tutorials, Give me Battle!} (32 votes [3.73%])

Percentage of vote: 3.73%

8. Team Tutorial {Video Based} (88 votes [10.24%])

Percentage of vote: 10.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted November 24 2012 - 07:42 PM

This is my welcome and introduction to all new players:

Greetings Pilot & Welcome to Hawken!
We all start out new and inexperienced. This is a thread to help you guys off on the right foot.
Read this post & I will help you make yourself the best possible player you can be.

Here's my experience and suggestions to new players:
  • Go a Few Rounds with Your Starter Mech. See how people play other styles and pick one that says "I can do that" to you

• Buy the Mech: Battle with it a few more rounds. Pay attention to the "extras" being used. Turrets, Radars and Scramblers used correctly can easily turn the tide of battle. Shields and regen shields can extend team survivability and also make the difference. Pick the ones that really appeal to you.

• Respec the Mech: Now that you have some Ideas on how you think you can fit in to battle, buy the items you selected. Specialize in these. It can make all the difference. Also check out the Internals. Internals can give you a bit of a battle edge {sometimes at a cost so be careful what you pick}

• Test it out: You get to try the new and improved you on the battlefield. Remember you can change your internals if you wish to try other things, just buy them and equip them.

• Use a MIC in game or Pay Attention to Typed Messages: Team communication really makes the difference. Winning teams have goals and each others backs. Co-ordinating an attack secures the win. If you don't know what's going on or where to provide your best support for the team; how can you expect to win_

• Play Your Role: You need to play your best to enjoy any game. Don't be a player you're not. Going with a class you aren't familiar with is only gonna aggrivate you and your team. If you die quickly or often evaluate your position in the game. Hang back and take pot shots or come around the mountain and blindside the enemy.

• Choose the Right Match: If you like soloing; Don't play a objective oriented mode like Silos or Siege. If you like team based action; don't play a deathmatch {unless it's a team deathmatch}.
Ultimately you need to be comfortable in the role you choose. You are what you bring to the match. Be the best you, you can be.
We were all noobies once but we learned we became deadly.

Also:

If you have questions: Ask a Pro.
Most of us would be glad to help. It'll only make the games better.

Now My fellow pilots. Take what you've learned here and bring it to the battlefield!
I'll be wailting... :ph34r:

#2 Vinushka

Vinushka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted November 25 2012 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for great advice. I like the idea of having a training mode with bots. It would be a great way to familiarize ourselves with mechs and new play styles without worring about ruining a  team match due due to inexperience or completely bombing in DM.

Posted Image

☯ NΣPTVNΣ ☯

Metallic.Uniframe.Super.Hybrid.Armor

#3 Deaod

Deaod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:23 AM

If you are piloting a class with the TOW Rocket Launcher as secondary weapon, note that you can manually detonate the rocket while its still in the air by pressing the firing button again (usually Right Mouse Button - RMB or MOUSE2). I see so many players not using this to their advantage and its really a shame because it usually still deals a hell of a lot of damage, even if its not a direct hit.

Next, if you have a mobility advantage, use the terrain against the enemy. Dodge behind cover - always. Come out on your own terms, blast the enemy, and hide again. I cant tell you how important using cover is. This should really be common sense, but always try to avoid having no obstacle between you and your opponent when its not advantageous for you to have a direct line of fire.

Keep moving, and if you cant aim while moving, learn how to do this. Its one of the most basic and useful skills youll ever learn. Learn how to compensate for your own dodges, so that once you finished dodging you still have your crosshair on the enemy.

Study the maps, remember where paths lead, and which way is the quickest to intercept enemy players running away. Keep these paths in mind to not fall into traps when you yourself are running away.

Use your jumpjets. Enemies dont expect you to come around the edges flying in the air usually, so this should give you a slight edge. Being in the air also avoid getting blasted by TOW rockets aimed around your feet, which noone should do (remember the manual detonation i talked about earlier_ - Use it), but it ensures youll hit the enemy even if you dont detonate the rocket in the air.

Anticipate enemy movement. Watch the minimap and when you see enemies moving into a certain direction, figure out where theyre going to be in a disadvantageous position, usually somewhere they cant get out of easily and/or have little to no cover, and engage them exactly there. This is the big stuff, but theres also the little stuff. You can anticipate enemies coming around corners, and fire your weapons accordingly. With more experience youll also be able to anticipate more complex movement, like when and in which direction the enemy is going to dodge.

When running away, seek teammates or an advantageous position (higher ground, lots of protection). Again, try and use the terrain to your advantage. Use a route thats not a straight line, use a route where youre always covered from behind for long enough that an enemy player cant get a shot off before youre behind the next piece of cover. If necessary, use teammates as cover (last resort).

When youre low on health, seek yellow orbs dropped by killed enemies and teammates. These should be the preferred way to gain health back because youre not immobile while picking these up and can react immediately should danger arise again. If there are no yellow orbs around and youre in desperate need of health, youll need to find a good spot to heal. This can be anywhere where you have a good overview of potential danger (incoming enemies). Keep being alert while repairing, and immediately stop repairing yourself when you see an incoming enemy.

A few notes on the minimap. You can see if enemies are above or below you. Those are the yellow arrows on the minimap. The offset from the red dot signifies how far lower or higher the enemy is. Teammates are white arrows that point in the direction the teammate is currently facing. There are also small white dots on the minimap. Those are yellow orbs of health dropped by downed players.

I hope someone can use this.

#4 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:44 AM

FYSA (For Your Situational Awareness), Mechwarrior/Battletech genre has the "Solaris Arena" to do training for new pilots without concequences and the Battletech community always has people willing to help teach.

This helps to bring in friends and teach them how to pilot a mech 1 vs 1 or a group of people so that they can practice or get tips on movement.
Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#5 Deu

Deu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationWhite Base

Posted November 25 2012 - 05:14 PM

Don't run at people shooting. Only move and shoot what you can capitalize off of. Not dying is my favorite strat though.

Posted Image

#6 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:29 AM

I can't wait for bots, hopefully they come back in open beta
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#7 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostG4M5T3R, on November 26 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I can't wait for bots, hopefully they come back in open beta
Bots are great for practice but are no substitute for teamwork and communication with real players ;)

#8 Aurstraux

Aurstraux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:31 PM

Bots and training/ shotting range levels are always good for new people like myself to start off in before attempting a real match with other players.

Few games made these days seem to use them as they are so reliant on the multiplayer aspect providing the cannon fodder so to speak, and for new people the inability to hit or kill effectively is depressing and detrimental to their continued playing.  Some may even leave altogether, that means less players and less profits.

Tribes Ascend had some good freeplay modes against stationary and moving targets.  Battlefield 2 had small bot singleplayer levels and that is what made me buy and play it so much in multiplayer.  Actually spent the whole night against bots in the demo before buying the game a few days later.

#9 Grafix

Grafix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBehind Evolwar and SS396 stealing thier Kills

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:47 PM

Just like in the Battletech/Mech Warrior Universe, they have the "Solaris Arena"  which we used to test out wepon loads, movement/counter movement practice, hovering, etc.

Right now the only way to do that is have a 4 on 4 with your close friends to do the practice until some other people join the match and hopefully they realize you guys are practicing instead of actuall game play in which they participate also or just leave.
Grafix™  
Inner Sphere Wars Developer and BattleMech Hanger Developer - Hawken Beta Tester: C-BETA 1, C-BETA 2, C-BETA 3, Open BETA    
System Specs: Win7 64 Bit, AMD 6 Core 3.3ghz, 16Gig DDR3 RAM, Liquid Cooled, 2x Dual DVI Nividia GTX 560 2gig video cards for Quad Monitor usage during 3D Graphical projects.  Currently only use 1 monitor for Hawken.

#10 Telley

Telley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUlladulla, Australia

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the advice! Hope to see you on the battlefield!
"Let war be our stronghold".

Posted Image

#11 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted November 30 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostGrafix, on November 27 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Just like in the Battletech/Mech Warrior Universe, they have the "Solaris Arena"  which we used to test out wepon loads, movement/counter movement practice, hovering, etc.

Right now the only way to do that is have a 4 on 4 with your close friends to do the practice until some other people join the match and hopefully they realize you guys are practicing instead of actuall game play in which they participate also or just leave.
I think an arena would be an excellent idea.
Super Monday Night Combat has a similar concept in place. There is even an opportunity to go 4v4 private practice and a bots map as well.
Tribes Ascend also has a version of this concept in place.

That why the poll on this forum.
I think players are more savvy on a player interaction model than a video based one {like we currently have}.

Edited by Spliff_Craven, November 30 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#12 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hey Noobies!

If you have any questions or request's; feel free to ask me.

#13 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted December 04 2012 - 06:25 PM

The bots in single-player mode were horrible. They'd need to do a lot of work to get them even to UT3 levels... not impossible, but probably still a ways off from being considered.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#14 Rodar

Rodar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:44 AM

I jumped into this game last weekend and my first round, got thrown against some you higher level players. got owned. then figured out which buttons did what. getting better. sucks to bots. gimme deaths and kills. preferably kills. :)
Posted Image

#15 Sizla

Sizla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 05:30 AM

Can  yOu healp me wit  a website which provides data on avaible mechs ,upgrades/skills , equipment  __

#16 V0LTA1RE

V0LTA1RE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBritish shores

Posted December 07 2012 - 10:38 AM

wHAT do you think on big slow- mo spot bombs,as you enter every thing s  l  o  w s  do w  n..._

#17 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostSizla, on December 07 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

Can  yOu healp me wit  a website which provides data on avaible mechs ,upgrades/skills , equipment  __

Perhaps this will help you: Wiki Mechs

I think it will suffice your needs.

Just in case it doesn't; follow this link to Favored Mech Builds

View PostV0LTA1RE, on December 07 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

wHAT do you think on big slow- mo spot bombs,as you enter every thing s  l  o  w s  do w  n..._
Although a great idea; it's the wrong thread. Try posting it in suggestions as a new thread of your own and attacha poll to it. I would love to see what people would say aboyt a "Time Distortion Bomb".

Hope this helps you guys!

Edited by Spliff_Craven, December 07 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#18 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 07 2012 - 09:42 PM

Cool, welcome to the forums ... bit delayed though XD

Anyways, here's the usual, I have a hawken tips and tricks thread also, link in my siggy :D

EDIT: i might borrow some of this stuff, lol

Edited by ArnieF4440, December 07 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#19 BLTasty

BLTasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSmall Town next to a REALLY big city

Posted December 11 2012 - 01:23 PM

thanks for the tips. all of this is really useful.

#20 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:54 AM

Glad to be of assistance.

Keep those terrific tips coming! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Event, Exclusive, Forum, Game, Introduction, Website, Patch, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users