HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Earn more exp for killing higher level mechs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Maikeru

Maikeru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostConquistador, on November 27 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I have an idea. As an ardent social-capitalist society, why don't we just raise the tax on experience earned_ We need to pay our dues to the megacorporate overlords somehow. A percentage of all experience earned is lost based on level and redistributed to all team members based on level. That way we can tax the 1% for all they're worth and reallocate that experience to the lower classes. I'm all for experience redistribution. I want my welfare experience checks in the mail.

I am the 99%!

(Also I'm being sarcastic. It's a shame I have to spell out literary devices on the internet.

This thread contains some terrible ideas that would encourage skilled players to create new accounts or buy new mechs just to troll newbie players. Additionally don't forget the skill tree is incredibly impotent right now and there's very little difference between mechs of different levels since the skill tree nerf, so all this talk of reward and punishment is utterly fallacious.)
People troll in every online game, reguardless of what measures you take to prevent it. Buying a new mech just to troll noobs seems like a complete waste of time and resources. Even with creating a new profile to troll, it serves no point and can already be done anyways.

Yes, the skill try is lacking in power at the moment, but do you really think this will always remain the same_ Rarely does skill tree stay the same after beta. This game already has systems of reward (earning more points) and punishment (earning less), and I am just adding to what is already there. There is no re-allocation or punishment for pros, just a small incentive to noobs to make them want to challenge the pros.

Edited by Maikeru, November 27 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#22 Maikeru

Maikeru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 27 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on November 27 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on November 27 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

would not be bad idea earning some award for killing a pilot with, let's say, 5 more levels than you. But lemme add something... without anyone assisting you with that kill. What ya think_

More xp for lone kills will just encourage players to wander off on their own. Fine in a Deathmatch but extremely annoying in team games.

Mostly yep.. although I'm one of those who think that in the future Kills and "Assists" will be handled differently in DM as in the rest of game modes. You mention to encourage players to wander off on their own. I'd like to mention on why rewarding players who are mostly focusing on stealing kills from other pilots. Not an issue, IMO; but I'd like to know what you guys think on this..
I agree, it would definately inspire lone wolf tactics and raging for helping out other players. I think the only way a person would not get the boost is if he or she only applied a tiny bit of damage. It would just follow the same exp logic that is already in place.

Edited by Maikeru, November 27 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#23 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:11 PM

Just to throw in some additional variations on this discussion.

What if instead of mech lvl, it used  the mech mastery number found when you click on your name from the garage_ I actually have no idea where this number comes from but it might be a better way of rewarding a lesser player for killing a better player.

Another idea, what if it's not on a per kill basis but instead just an end of the match bonus_ It would be tricky to figure what level mechs everyone used and for how long. or maybe just the mech mastery number again.

Halo used a similar concept. A team with a bunch of lvl17s had more to gain if they won against a team with a bunch of 20s. Though in that game you could actually LOSE levels which is not something I suggest but it was a good way to get a lesser skilled team to stick around through a match if there was a higher reward.

#24 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 04:48 AM

I quite like Giant Killer bonuses, they have been successfully implemented in a wide range of PvP games; however, if it’s going to work for Hawken it needs to be based on player Mech Mastery rating, not mech level.  Matchmaking is meant to ensure that folks of wildly disparate skill aren’t matched against one another so if you accept that MM will eventually become a workable engine the ‘need’ for a Giant Killer bonus diminishes.

#25 Maikeru

Maikeru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 27 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

What if instead of mech lvl, it used  the mech mastery number found when you click on your name from the garage_ I actually have no idea where this number comes from but it might be a better way of rewarding a lesser player for killing a better player.

Another idea, what if it's not on a per kill basis but instead just an end of the match bonus_ It would be tricky to figure what level mechs everyone used and for how long. or maybe just the mech mastery number again.

Halo used a similar concept. A team with a bunch of lvl17s had more to gain if they won against a team with a bunch of 20s. Though in that game you could actually LOSE levels which is not something I suggest but it was a good way to get a lesser skilled team to stick around through a match if there was a higher reward.
That is an intresting idea. I never noticed the mech mastery number, and will look into that.

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 27 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Hah, I've never seen the mech mastery number until now. It is a mysterious number that I'm not sure how it works in hawken. It does seem like it would be a more accurate measure of a player's skill rather than the level of the mech. If the devs were to do something based off of the mech mastery number, I would support it. Maybe the devs could give us a little more information about it sometime.

#26 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yeah I have no idea what it means, if my number is good, where it comes from, etc etc. Feels like my credit score.

#27 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted November 28 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostItsThatGuy, on November 28 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Yeah I have no idea what it means, if my number is good, where it comes from, etc etc. Feels like my credit score.

In honesty, do we actually know what system is currently being used to match up players_ I'm not really in a position to say what can be improved without knowing.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users