HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Unplayable connection quality

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sage009

Sage009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:16 PM

Every game I've played all day today has given me 400+ ping, no matter what region I choose (nevermind the fact that US East/West are empty every time I play, apparently)

Edited by Sage009, November 26 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#2 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostSage009, on November 26 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

Every game I've played all day today has given me 400+ ping, no matter what region I choose (nevermind the fact that US East/West are empty every time I play, apparently)

Sounds like a connection issue on your end. What type of internet do you have and how are you connected to said internet.

#3 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:47 PM

^^ yep ^^ sounds like the problem is on your end.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#4 Sage009

Sage009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:51 PM

I have 9mbit down, 1mbit up and I know it's not on my end because I get 100-140 in other games and I've had no issues today besides in Hawken

#5 Metallforest

Metallforest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 08:14 PM

This is happening to me too, some times i get 988ms constantly during a match. I have a 4Mb connection and play Planetside 2 and Blacklight Retribution as well and don't have this issue.

#6 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 26 2012 - 09:51 PM

The biggest factors affecting ping times are the time of day, the number of people on the network, the number of people on the server and your internet subscription. If you still think there's something else going on, though, and you're playing on the US East or West servers, try running a traceroute and pathping on 54.245.132.130. This will show where along the path to the servers there might be an issue, if any. Also, try opening ports 7777 and 7778 on your router.

Good luck!

#7 Sage009

Sage009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:23 PM

Pathping gives me nothing, just stops at step 2.
I'll attach a screenshot of my traceroute, since I can't tell if the issue's on my side or not.

Thing is, I've never had any lag problems playing Hawken before today.

Posted Image

#8 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 27 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostSage009, on November 26 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Pathping gives me nothing, just stops at step 2.
I'll attach a screenshot of my traceroute, since I can't tell if the issue's on my side or not. Thing is, I've never had any lag problems playing Hawken before today.

Don't worry too much about the initial "Request timed out"; some routing connections might not respond to ICMP (pinging) messages as a security feature (like Amazon).

After the 3rd hop along your connection your latency jumps from the teens to the hundreds, and then briefly back down into the teens, and then it slowly ramps up again. This is indicative of routers prioritizing your ping requests. Generally speaking though, it's the last hop that really counts. If the last hop is low despite higher latencies earlier on, then you don't have a ping problem; the routers are simply prioritising your packets and sending them to the back of the queue.

If you're consistently having network issues going forward, try running NameBench to see if there are any faster DNS addresses available to you, and failing that, you could try adjusting your TCP ACK settings; this will do that for you.

#9 Sage009

Sage009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:53 AM

NameBench says I'm already using the fastest DNS servers, actually.
I ran a game of League of Legends to confirm and yes, it's not a problem on my end. For the entire match I never went above 103ms. In a game of Hawken earlier, I was bouncing around like a madman between 126 and 449ms

Edited by Sage009, November 27 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#10 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:44 AM

For comparison, here's what a bad connection might look like:

Posted Image

View PostSage009, on November 27 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

NameBench says I'm already using the fastest DNS servers, actually.
I ran a game of League of Legends to confirm and yes, it's not a problem on my end. For the entire match I never went above 103ms. In a game of Hawken earlier, I was bouncing around like a madman between 126 and 449ms

Hm, interesting. I've experienced a wildly fluctuating ping in game on a couple of occasions. I remember connecting to a Japanese server with a ping of 32 and by the next time I'd opened the scoreboard it was in the 140s. I wonder if this might have something to do with the game client pinging Adhesive's/Meteor's stat service or syncing data during gameplay.

Whilst it's impossible to get a real sense of your real network performance without solitary access to the network you're testing, someone at both ends, etc., it looks like it might be time to perform an uber systematic test of my connections.

Edited by Roundlay, November 27 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#11 Sage009

Sage009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 09:15 AM

Oh I was doing the wrong command, heh.
I get a ping of 115~ when pinging the server. Also, US East is still empty today :(

Edited by Sage009, November 27 2012 - 09:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users