HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken + depth of field = WRONG

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 04:57 AM

Depth of field [DOF] should be removed from Hawken's gameplay.  As of now, Hawken's DOF is always on, which is highly unrealistic.  And as a result, it impairs vision of distant objects and causes eyesight discomfort because the eye is always trying to sharpen the blurred distant objects.

This is how DOF works in reality...
When your eye/camera focuses on very close objects, distant objects are blurred.  But when your eye/camera is looking into the distance, there is no DOF blurring.

In Hawken [and games in general], we're always looking into the distance, so there's not supposed to be any DOF blurring.  The only practical use for DOF would be in cinematic cutscenes to artistically draw the viewers' focus.  DOF doesn't belong in gameplay.

Edited by ghostXzero, December 01 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 01 2012 - 11:01 AM

"Always on"_

Unless you turn it off. Which is a single checkbox in the Advanced section of the graphics menu. Boom, done.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 01 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm not going to debate people's preferences on these sorts of settings. I've never had any issues with it, some people do. But allow me to ask this question:

Which is easier_ Asking the devs to modify the game's code just because you don't like the way the settings are defaulted, or clicking a couple of little boxes in the video settings menu_

#4 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostElix, on December 01 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

"Always on"_

Unless you turn it off. Which is a single checkbox in the Advanced section of the graphics menu. Boom, done.
I seem to have a bug in my game where I cannot turn it back on... :/

#5 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostghostXzero, on December 01 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

This is how DOF works in reality...
When your eye/camera focuses on very close objects, distant objects are blurred.  But when your eye/camera is looking into the distance, there is no DOF blurring.
Wrong! When your eye is focusing on distant objects, near objects are blurred. When you focus on near objects, distant objects are blurred.

This is because the objects you are not focusing on enter your peripheral vision, meaning that they blur. You only ever have perfect clarity with whatever your vision is focused on.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#6 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted December 02 2012 - 06:34 AM

But when your eye/camera is looking into the distance, there is no DOF blurring.

This is just wrong. I think you're confusing infinite focus for Depth of Field. Please don't make me find a bunch of examples.
Posted Image

#7 ghostXzero

ghostXzero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 08:30 AM

ok ok, if any of you really believe it's correct for gameplay to have distant objects in a constant state of blur, then up to you!

#8 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 09:15 AM

It should focus on the distance of the object your crosshair is on. When I was using Sharpshooter it was impossible to zoom in on things because only the things close to me were clear. Its not a terrible concept, its just put in poorly.

I think it is 1000's of money. IT IS 1000,s OF MONEY!!!.

#9 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted December 02 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostghostXzero, on December 02 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

ok ok, if any of you really believe it's correct for gameplay to have distant objects in a constant state of blur, then up to you!

View PostElix, on December 01 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Turn it off, which is a single checkbox in the Advanced section of the graphics menu. Boom, done.

It's illogical for a developer to remove a feature which can much more easily and quickly be done by the player.  If there is some kind of bug preventing the DoF effect from being entirely removed (even after modifying Hawken's .ini files, which is easy), then it's the bug that should be addressed and not the effect as a whole.

Edited by OverWolf, December 02 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#10 JonnyO2

JonnyO2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted December 02 2012 - 07:52 PM

DOF, Motion Blur, Bloom, etc.... are all en vogue effects that are probably on by default to make the game look hip and modern, so I get why they're in the game (makes for fancier-looking screenshots, etc.) but I turned all of that off after playing for a while when I realized it was hampering my ability to hunt.

I.E., even if DOF were implemented "properly", I'd turn it off. Until low-latency eye-tracking systems could be used with adaptive DOF, I think it would just get in the way of playability. ... and even then I'd probably turn it off.

#11 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:12 AM

Leaving DOF enabled is demonstrably disadvantageous when sniping at long range. I think leaving DOF effects in the game is a cool idea, but this needs to be tweaked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users