HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Random CTD, then can't join game for a while

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AcmeKillerRobot

AcmeKillerRobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:04 AM

I get random crash-to-desktop's on a regular basis, sometimes it's when the map Origin is loading, the rest of the time it's during a match on any map, and always immediately after I get killed. Usually happens in the first 20-30 minutes of starting playing, after I restart and finally get back into matches it's generally ok. It does take quite a while sometimes to be able to get back into a match, as I get the error "rejecting connection because the player is already on a server" or something along those lines. I've submitted a bunch of bug reports through the crash reporter, I don't know if they go anywhere or not, lol.

I'm not all ragefaced about it as I know it's a beta, but I do want to know if others are experiencing the same thing.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic dance music..." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

#2 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 03 2012 - 10:37 AM

Most aren't, I'd think. What's your system specs, including whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit_
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#3 AcmeKillerRobot

AcmeKillerRobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 11:13 AM

Win 7 x64
c2d e8500 @ 3.16ghz
4gb ddr3 1333mhz
gts 250 1gb
p43 mobo

Game runs fine, it's just these random crashes. All drivers up to date, nothing else running to cause issues, etc...
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic dance music..." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

#4 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 01:38 PM

A bit old, but nothing the game shouldn't be able to run on, yeah.

I would wager that 4 GB of RAM is the likely culprit; 3 GB is the minimum needed for the game - and obviously, that's not factoring OS stuff taking RAM either.

Just to be safe, though, check to make sure your CPU and GPU temperatures aren't overheating, as that can cause stuff to bomb too.

#5 AcmeKillerRobot

AcmeKillerRobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:20 AM

Just played a few rounds and monitored my temps throughout, GPU hit 67, CPU hit 46, so no problems there. Didn't CTD on me during the three rounds I played, so that's a good sign, can never really tell when it's gonna happen though.

edit: forgot to mention, I'm playing with settings of gfx - mediaum, textures - medium, physx off, aa/af off, all other extra's off, smooth framecap on. Nothing forced through Nvidia control panel, A/V disabled. Screen res of 1680/1050

Edited by AcmeKillerRobot, December 05 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 12:41 AM

Okay. Was that the same settings as before, or did you turn them down from something you had them at with my suggestion_ I ask that because, obviously, better quality textures take up both RAM on the videocard as well as system RAM, so higher level detail might need more RAM than your system can give it, basically.

#7 AcmeKillerRobot

AcmeKillerRobot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:08 AM

No, I've never put it past medium, I was playing on low for both gfx and textures at first, and eventually decided to try medium and it ran the same so I just stuck with that. Wasn't sure how performance would be with this game, but it's really well optimized. I'm very satisfied with the graphics/framerate on my pc as it's getting out of date now. The devs have done a fantastic job with this game. :D

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, the hardware isn't the best, but it should still be playable on your system.

In your case, the main concern is really keeping the RAM usage down. The minimum requirement is 3 GB, and the OS has to carefully shoehorn itself into the last 1-1.5 GB of your RAM, depending on how much the game uses.

You can definitely help improve stability by closing down any memory-hungry apps before launching Hawken.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users