HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken on Wii U

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 10 2011 - 04:30 PM

There.  I said it...

Based on what's been shown on using the touchscreen as an add-on to a game's UI, I think it could make an awesome Hawken release.  Granted, Adhesive is in line to release Hawken probably before Nintendo gets around to releasing the Wii U, but a man can daydream right_

#2 Maligkno

Maligkno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted June 10 2011 - 05:54 PM

i dont think so, its still a year away and the game its set to launch 2d quarter of 2012, besides the wii U its not a viable platform at the moment so dont get your hopes up.

Posted Image

#3 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 10 2011 - 09:39 PM

I meant it more of a neat idea rather than a suggestion...

#4 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted June 11 2011 - 03:37 AM

The entire WII U thing seems like a silly gimmick to me.

#5 bfcunion351

bfcunion351

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted June 12 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hehe
Be good or be good at it, otherwise you'll be pushing a pram.

#6 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted June 13 2011 - 06:32 PM

I personally don't think the Wii U controller is a gimmick.  Nintendo have merged the Wii and DS together to create something new and innovative!  It's a shame that MS or Sony don't think forward like Nintendo do! ...on the flipside, it's a shame that Nintendo don't go for better hardware(although the U *might* be different)...

I like the concept that the software companies at E3 have been showing with the Wii U.  Good example is the Ghost Recon game where the U controller can be used to display a floor plan showing locations of squad mates. It'd be handy then to be able to draw on this surface to work out strategies etc.. with team mates.
The concepts mentioned for Aliens:Colonial Marines on the Wii U sound like superb ideas as well.  eg.. using the controller as the movement tracker and map layout viewer. Nintendo have got a great concept on their hands and it's now up to the software devs to come up with creative ways to use it!

In relation to Hawken, imagine something like having your weapon loadout on the U controller and also visual weapon icons that show heat buildup and cooldown statistics.  Maybe also display an overhead map displaying team mates, resource collection stations etc...
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#7 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 13 2011 - 06:56 PM

Lord_Porksword said:

In relation to Hawken, imagine something like having your weapon loadout on the U controller and also visual weapon icons that show heat buildup and cooldown statistics.  Maybe also display an overhead map displaying team mates, resource collection stations etc...

Agreed!  I would image resource management could be pretty cool on the touchscreen.

#8 aethernet

aethernet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted June 14 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'll wii on u.
mecha srw anime vg gundam vocaloid touhou programming etc

#9 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 10:24 AM

Lord_Porksword said:

I personally don't think the Wii U controller is a gimmick.  Nintendo have merged the Wii and DS together to create something new and innovative!  It's a shame that MS or Sony don't think forward like Nintendo do! ...on the flipside, it's a shame that Nintendo don't go for better hardware(although the U *might* be different)...

[snip]

It's certainly new, but I wouldn't call it "innovative". It's just a mashup of console controllers and handheld systems. I don't think constantly switching between two different screens would be terribly fun... I don't see why it couldn't just be on one screen. Having a touch screen would then have you switching between different control schemes as well...

I think Hawken would be perfectly fine with just traditional controllers and a traditional screen to play them on.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#10 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 11:52 AM

Still missing the point...

Is the wii u needed to make hawken successful_  Heck no.  Would a wii u version be better than pc and/or ps3/360_ no.  COULD it be neat and possibly fun to play on it anyway_  yes.

#11 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 12:37 PM

hitmonInfinity said:

Still missing the point...

Is the wii u needed to make hawken successful_  Heck no.  Would a wii u version be better than pc and/or ps3/360_ no.  COULD it be neat and possibly fun to play on it anyway_  yes.
Well the same could be said for a version which uses only Kinect where you act out moving around and such. I wouldn't make one though.

Usually I've tried not to go down on most of the ideas here, in an attempt to foster ideas and let them be discussed, refined, and revised (allow brainstorming to occur), though honestly I've grown tired of some of the ideas being thrown around. The Wii U was just announced at E3, and it's not going to even be talked about again until next year. Hawken right now is headed to a release in the first half of next year. The game will be out before the console is, let alone after the devs have had enough time with the Wii U to actually design for it. Hawken (1) on Wii U will not be made (beyond some post-release port), and we will not be worse off for it.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#12 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 04:32 PM

hitmonInfinity said:

I meant it more of a neat idea rather than a suggestion...

Repost from before...

#13 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted June 15 2011 - 05:14 PM

I'm with you hitmon :!:
It'd definately be a neat idea and I for one would look forward to seeing Hawken if it ever came out on the Wii U packing some intelligently designed, multi screened gameness!  :mrgreen:

No idea about all this negativity towards the thought of taking advantage of the Wii U's control scheme and the un-necessary/irrelevant arguments about when the Wii U will be available!  
...maybe peeps should re-read your first post before responding!  ;)
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users