HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Do some of the effects bother you. Screen grain and cockpit jerking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:14 PM

To me the most annoying thing is the fact that my cockpit is jerking all over the place even when on the lowest setting. Its destracting and can make me feel as if ny game is lagging or im seeing motion blur (also off). The second piece is the blue screen grain effect after moving the mech around. There is a reason i turned off the film grain but it seems that there is a second effect.

I like my game visuals to look crisp and beautiful but both of these effects in a way ruin this experience because i still feel like im looking out of a screen istead of glass.

Im a player from the second alpha but because of school and a new job i havent been able to get back to hawken till now. These are my opinions from the last 30min of playtime.

#2 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:17 PM

its called realism as if you were actually in a cockpit. personally I say deal with it. but thats just me.

Edited by Decoy101x, December 03 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#3 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:18 PM

Screen distortion is rumored to be the cause of the Hawken virus that the dev's hid. In our Sunday matches we had a discussion about the cockpit jerking and one of the players mentioned that the game felt more natural with a high cockpit jerk setting and that the weapon recoil lined up better.

#4 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 03:23 PM

In some cases the cockpit jerking could cause virtual motion sickness. For me It just doesnt look right on my screen.

#5 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:46 AM

Turn off film grain in settings.

Turn down cockpit lag in settings.

Turn up FOV to 90.

Topic over.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#6 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 08:56 AM

are you sure about 90 on a 1920x1080 screen. BTW im a gamer not someone looking for realism in game. Some of these effects just hurt my experience. Yes they may be realistic but in the competition world its all about the easiest ability to see the enemy and the highest frame rate. The grain effect that is still there after turning off the film grain takes away from this visual ability. The cockpit lag makes it harder for you to wage combat at a competitive level because your jerking all over the place and its a distraction. These are features where there should be an option to turn off.

Like i said some dont want realism some want tweakability to get the highest fps and the best visual acuity.

One other mild annoyance is the fact that the FPS is locked at a cap of 90. I await the time the devs unlock it so we can run upwards of 100+.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, December 04 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#7 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on December 04 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Like i said some dont want realism some want tweakability to get the highest fps and the best visual acuity.

You can turn off or lower both aspects giving you issues.

#8 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 07:49 PM

The problem is the Added blue hazz to the screen besides the Film grain which is disabled, can not be disabled unless you find it in the ini files. And you cant edit the ini files in this closed beta.

Editing the INI files I could also disable the cockpit lag which is what its listed as in the INIs.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, December 04 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#9 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 04 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on December 04 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

are you sure about 90 on a 1920x1080 screen. BTW im a gamer not someone looking for realism in game. Some of these effects just hurt my experience. Yes they may be realistic but in the competition world its all about the easiest ability to see the enemy and the highest frame rate. The grain effect that is still there after turning off the film grain takes away from this visual ability. The cockpit lag makes it harder for you to wage combat at a competitive level because your jerking all over the place and its a distraction. These are features where there should be an option to turn off.

One other mild annoyance is the fact that the FPS is locked at a cap of 90. I await the time the devs unlock it so we can run upwards of 100+.

Yes.

And there is no point freeing up the fps to go above 90 unless you have a 120Hz monitor, and even then you cannot physically tell the difference between anything much higher than 60Hz or maybe 75Hz.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#10 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:12 PM

Your eyes get use to it. I can tell the difference between 80 and 60 as i can 120 and 90. it has to do with how smooth the images are. the faster the framerate the smoother the image. I can tell the difference between a 120Hz monitor and a 60Hz by looking at how the pointer moves on the screen.

#11 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted December 04 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostReachH, on December 04 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

And there is no point freeing up the fps to go above 90 unless you have a 120Hz monitor, and even then you cannot physically tell the difference between anything much higher than 60Hz or maybe 75Hz.
You're a funny person. Just because you're generating more frames than the monitor can output does not mean those frames do not effect what you see.

And people have noticed differences in pictures that lasted less than 1/200th a second. The human eyes do not perceive in frames per second. Do not pretend they do.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I sort of agree with the OP on numerous counts. I'm just waiting till dedi support comes out to make my arguments.

#12 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:54 AM

What is this "blue haze" that you're talking about_ I've never seen any kind of visual distortion after turning off film grain, except when I get hit by an EMP, and I've never heard of it being mentioned before.

Are you sure you're not just imagining it_ :huh:

#13 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostDM30, on December 05 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

What is this "blue haze" that you're talking about_ I've never seen any kind of visual distortion after turning off film grain, except when I get hit by an EMP, and I've never heard of it being mentioned before.

Are you sure you're not just imagining it_ :huh:

I am playing on maximum settings. Dont know if its just in there or not. But its like the film grain but i cant get rid of it unless i go looking in INIs which is a no no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users