HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to fix Bruiser in 3 easy steps!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted December 04 2012 - 11:59 PM

This thread is a recommendations compilation based on the discussion at http://community.pla...t-be-unchained/

The contents of this thread are intended for the developers' eyes, as we seem to have come to a consensus on how to repair the underpowered bruiser, in three simple steps! Because no one seems to be entering additional input in the original thread, I'll sum up our collective recommendations as follows:

1) Buff the Vulcan appropriately - Either increase damage per shot, Increase rate of fire, or reduce heat buildup. From what I hear, the heat buildup reduction is the most likely option, and I'm expecting about 9-10 seconds of sustained firing time.

2) Do not give the Vulcan to other light or medium mechs as lvl 20 unlocks - Specifically NOT any light classes. EVER. (say NO to Vulcan Berserker, comrades!) Bruiser should be the only medium mech class with the Point-D Vulcan (and Assault with its heat ventilation should never get this gun). Heavy mechs with the vulcan will be tolerable as a prestige unlock.

3) Buff the Bruiser's Damage reduction Ability: Currently, bruiser damage reduction falls at around 13%. Heavy playtesting has deemed this value insufficient. We recommend the damage reduction ability, which is a temporary bonus, to buff to 20-25% reduced damage instead. This should make the effects of the ability actually tangible in combat. As it is right now, popping the ability barely does anything.

4) OPTIONAL: We suggest providing the Mini-flak or FLAK cannon as the Bruiser's level 20 unlockable "prestige weapon", as it currently does not have any in CB3.

With these 4 3 easy steps, you too can help save the Bruiser from the scrapheap!

Edited by Conquistador, December 05 2012 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#2 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:20 AM

Honestly, put it back to how it originally was and were good. Pre-beta vulcan and all. Maybe a slight boost to active ability.

#3 chefboyardie

chefboyardie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:37 AM

What is wrong with the bruiser_  I kick tail with mine.  Damage reduction gets me through a tough 1v1 sometimes.  It definitely should not allow me to win every time.  I hardly ever use the Vulcan as the spin up time does not suit me, so I cannot give an opinion on it..

#4 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 05 2012 - 12:44 AM

Buff vulcan_ Yes
The ability though.. TBH I think the abilities just need to be more active while we're discussing changes here.
Also worth noting that the damage boost ability is similarly useless

Oh and level 20 weapons are silly. We should have less of them (IE 0) not more
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#5 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted December 05 2012 - 04:30 AM

I only wish Helfires launch in straight line so they where little bit better in CQB.

#6 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:07 AM

No need for a three step program...just bring back the Alpha 2 version :lol:
Posted Image

#7 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:23 AM

Vulcan buff = yes.. heat builds far too fast for the little dmg output.

vulcan only to B and C class_ No.... there is flak on scout for a reason.

ability buff - nooooooo it is not meant to be overpowering  I use the buff all the time to great success! But the trick with that buff is you have to hit it early or you don't gain the benefit from it. If you are already in the red it won't do squat to help you. If you start it at 675 health (stock B health) it will increase your effective hit points (ehp) by almost 88!!!! If you do it w/ only 200 health you will gain 26 ehp at best. It is an ability that requires knowledge of what you are going to be getting into... and less of an oh shhhhhhh button.

fix hellfire missiles and correctly get the vulcan where it needs to go and the bruiser will be a deadly guy to fight. He currently is now but it takes a lot of skill to pull off compared to the other mechs.

#8 TheChaffeemancer

TheChaffeemancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostAkrium, on December 05 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

vulcan only to B and C class_ No.... there is flak on scout for a reason.

The reason is that people make bad decisions.
Beep beep, Kiwi's a Chaffeemancer.

#9 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on December 05 2012 - 07:15 AM, said:

The reason is that people make bad decisions.

True.. but they are putting a CQC weapon on the smallest armor count mech. Kinda counter intuitive to living long. I find it balanced over all. People just need to learn to watch radar, listen to sounds and in general get better awareness and scouts will be less an issue. I typically have more issues with the peek-a-boo inful than any scout yet.

Then again, I play mostly A class so I can keep the distance in my favor.

#10 nightsky

nightsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:17 PM

(insert sycophantic, vacuous agreement post here)

But srsly, I'd love to see a more CQC-oriented B-class. The SS certainly isn't it, and the Assault with the SMC doesn't have the big punch of a Brawler or Scout either. With that in mind, however, the Hellfires are something of an odd choice for a CQC mech given their optimal range. I certainly don't want to see another mech using a TOW, but neither can I suggest a balanced alternative.

Assault - "Vae Victis" | Brawler - "Dominus" | Sharpshooter - "Memento Mori"

Bruiser - "Non Serviam" | Berserker - "Furia"

Posted Image

It's all good in the 'Hood.

#11 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hellfires are pretty awesome in CQC.  Blindfire them into the ground and watch the damage mount.  Their explosion radius is pretty small, so you generally dodge most of the damage.

#12 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 06:33 PM

1.  Yes plz

2.  I think there's more to weapon and class balance than just that, but it is a heavy weapon and fits better on B and C class mechs.

3.  Abilities on the whole are pretty boring, honestly.  Pretty sure this has been discussed to death.  There's no feedback on when your opponent uses them, they're pretty bland, and they're pretty uninteresting.  There's more problems with abilities than just being weak.  Abilities should feel like they define your class better imo, right now your weapons do.  The infiltrator and the C class turret mode (while not very good) are good examples of class defining abilities.

4.  No level 20 weapons.  Just, no.  No no no no no.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#13 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:13 PM

View Postnightsky, on December 05 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

But srsly, I'd love to see a more CQC-oriented B-class. The SS certainly isn't it, and the Assault with the SMC doesn't have the big punch of a Brawler or Scout either. With that in mind, however, the Hellfires are something of an odd choice for a CQC mech given their optimal range. I certainly don't want to see another mech using a TOW, but neither can I suggest a balanced alternative.

The assault is just a slower higher armor beserker... and I do plenty fine with him tbh. The "burst" both are supposed to have are to come from a fledged out vulcan. Of which currently it isn't...  and even in CBE2 i enjoyed the smg over the vulcan on my beserker because I could take on multiple opponents and not end up over heating. But I guess i'm one of the few...

#14 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted December 05 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostTimber_Wolf, on December 05 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

4.  No level 20 weapons.  Just, no.  No no no no no.

I would like to point out that while I totally empathize with you (and barring the fact I've been a loud advocate against including level 20 unlockable weapons), the devs have pretty much ignored our protests and are releasing mechs in open beta with level 20 prestige weapons.

View Post[MTR]Hugs, on December 04 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

The Cupcake is a Heavy class mech, she's fully loaded and ready for battle. Cupcake arrives with the following gear and exclusive chassis:

Class: Heavy

Chassis: Cupcake

Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Ability: Artillery Turret

Primary Weapon 1: Rev-GL

Alternate Primary Weapon 2: Heat Cannon

Max Level Unlockable Weapon: Point-D Vulcan

Offense Item: HE Grenade

Support Item: Hologram

Offensive Internal: Explosive Munitions

Defensive Internal: Heat Resistant Armor

Functional Internal: Fuel Canisters

Have a look at this thread if you don't believe me. Unfortunately, this means that we're getting level 20 unlocks, whether we like it or not. In that case, I'll be damned if the bruiser is the only mech with no level 20 prestige weapon. Hence my recommendation for a flak or miniflak cannon.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Edited by Conquistador, December 05 2012 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 06 2012 - 04:39 AM

the devs have stated they are looking to somewhat copy cod in some aspects. And cod does have weapon unlocks as you level up. I would prefer it not be all the way to level 20 before we get it... but I don't see it going away one way or another.

#16 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted December 06 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostConquistador, on December 05 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I'll be damned if the bruiser is the only mech with no level 20 prestige weapon. Hence my recommendation for a flak or miniflak cannon.

The Sharpshooter doesn't have one either.

But a flak on a Bruiser would be interesting. I'd be fine with that.

#17 Timber_Wolf

Timber_Wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostConquistador, on December 05 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

condensed for readability

I can still not like it though, and do what little I can to voice my opinion whenever I can.
Honestly, most people on the forums are against it, it seems, and I don't understand the point of it, still.
When you level up you level up your main weapons, right_  The two primaries and your alt, and get nothing for the prestige wep in terms of levels, just another new, slightly different, playstyle.  I'm fine with having unlockable weapons, but they should be available at level 0.  The only thing I can see is that it incentivises buying an xp booster...

Of course, leveling up/optimizations/etc. are probably going to change, so, who knows...
I still think it's a dumb idea, as do most people on here, from what I can tell, but I haven't seen a poll done anywhere.
Chicks dig giant robots.

#18 nightsky

nightsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 06 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostAkrium, on December 05 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

View Postnightsky, on December 05 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

The assault is just a slower higher armor beserker... and I do plenty fine with him tbh. The "burst" both are supposed to have are to come from a fledged out vulcan. Of which currently it isn't...  and even in CBE2 i enjoyed the smg over the vulcan on my beserker because I could take on multiple opponents and not end up over heating. But I guess i'm one of the few...
I've got nothing against the assault (barring the level 20 vulcan unlock), I think it's the best balanced mech in CB3. As well it should be, given that it's the default option. I can see playing the Assault as a fatter Berserker by using it with the SMC, maxed movement tree, and the appropriate internals, but I tend to prefer the more general purpose capability granted by the AR. But I'm wandering off topic...

As you said, the Bruiser should be the short range powerhouse of the B-classes, if the vulcan didn't overheat in nanoseconds. The Hellfires are a poor pairing for the vulcan, and I also sort of feel like the TOW is a bit too broadly used (4 out of the 9 classes in CB3 have a TOW). I dunno, does anyone have an opinion on a Bruiser with a (reasonably) buffed vulcan and a GL as a secondary_ Perhaps the mini-flak as a level 20 unlock_

Assault - "Vae Victis" | Brawler - "Dominus" | Sharpshooter - "Memento Mori"

Bruiser - "Non Serviam" | Berserker - "Furia"

Posted Image

It's all good in the 'Hood.

#19 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hellfires are a great match for the Vulcan.  Soften 'em up at range with rockets, move in for the buzzy screaming death.  That's my usual MO for bruiser play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users