HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Repair Drone Initiative

Announcement Community Exclusive Forum Game Project Update Website Review Preview

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Offensive/Defensive Repair Drones (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Repair Drones have the additional capability to auto-defend you while repairing your mech_

1. Yes (11 votes [13.92%])

Percentage of vote: 13.92%

2. No (68 votes [86.08%])

Percentage of vote: 86.08%

If repair drones were given minor offensive powers what should they be_{Select your favorites}

1. Like the deployable MG Turret (3 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Like the Deployable Rocket Turret (1 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

3. Limited Range Flamethrower with Timed Burning Splash Damage (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

4. Lazer Pulses (7 votes [7.29%])

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

5. Mini Grenade Launcher With Splash Exlosive Damage {damage reduced as is a mini grenade} (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

6. Stealth "Reduced Visibility" Cloak that renders you Nearly Invisible for the duration But Takes Slightly Longer to Repair{Think Infiltrator Ability } (14 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

7. All of the Above {but can only select one option per drone} (8 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

8. Other {Please supply your choice by adding to the forum} (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. None of the Above {Leave it the way it is} (59 votes [61.46%])

Percentage of vote: 61.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:01 AM

I got some inspiration while writing in the following thread: Vanguard Initiative Dec 6

View PostSpliff_Craven, on December 05 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

OMG! The TURRET MODE IS BROKEN!
With all due respect...What are you thinking_!_ :angry:

Why offer the CUPCAKE class with such a terrible ability nobody but noobies use_ :blink:
If you don't believe me, check out what your players think:

http://community.pla...91-turret-mode/
http://community.pla...-official-poll/

I certainly hope the CUPCAKE class is fixed by 12/12/12.

Don't get me wrong I know you all mean well, but the turret mode is suicide.
Watch how many people play that class. Look at the survivability. I guarantee the people that do not transform live dramatically longer.
I do love playing the Turret class. But transforming is too punishing. It is a death sentence!
For the love of all thats Hawken please fix this class!

One improvement would be the PY-R0 H0G Repair Drone repairing yound "Attacking" anyone shooting at you {like a deployable rocket/machine gun turret} so you are not completely vulnerable while attacking. :D
Another would be to make the turrets able to withstand a few attacks. Actually boost the defence capability while deployed! :angry:

So What do you think_{Be sure to vote in the poll}

Should your repair drones be able to "defend you" to some extent_ :D

If so, what would you like to see as their new abilities_
Rockets_ MG_ Mini-Grenades_ Limited Range Flamethrower_ Lazers_ Infiltrator cloak_ Something else_

Edited by Spliff_Craven, December 05 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:04 AM

God no. Repairing is supposed to be when you're at your most vulnerable. If you need to be defended while repairing, go back to base or find some teammates.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:10 AM

This is a wonderfull idea.

Repair drones should be equipped with a miniature seeking hydrogen bomb on a half second cooldown, just in case something survives the first blast.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#4 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Posth0B0, on December 05 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Repair drones should be equipped with a miniature seeking hydrogen bomb on a half second cooldown, just in case something survives the first blast.
I feel like I'm rubbing off on you.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#5 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 05 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

View Posth0B0, on December 05 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

I feel like I'm rubbing off on you.

That sounds just wrong...  but yet I have a goofy grin.

But also not a fan of the idea. Repairing is something I see that takes some skill to do. It is what helps separate who sits at the grown up table and who sits at the kiddie table. You cannot go forever without healing, and you gotta find a time that suits you right. And it has to be a good spot and time because you cannot attack back nor respond very fast.

Over all, love it as it stands.

#6 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:36 PM

Regardless of the killjoys and mockingbirds above; I think it would add a new and exciting dynamic to gameplay.
I guess some people aren't into fresh and innovative thinking.

It's really no different than a Brawler getting a repair boost while deployed as a turret and being able to attack while deployed.

#7 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 05 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on December 05 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Regardless of the killjoys and mockingbirds above; I think it would add a new and exciting dynamic to gameplay.

It's really no different than a Brawler getting a repair boost while deployed as a turret and being able to attack while deployed.

The whole point of repairing is being vulnerable otherwise it just breaks the game if you can repair and kill people at the same time you don't have to make choices that push the gameplay forward. And the whole point of the bruisers turret ability is that its the bruisers turret ability not the entire cast of mechs ability.

Also as an ex LoL player i will reference this thread: http://na.leagueofle...ad.php_t=293417
This perticular case features "Power without gameplay" and "Conflicted purpose"

Edit: Joy i really enjoy when people "rub off on me" but you have a lot to discover about me ;) wink wink.

Edited by h0B0, December 05 2012 - 03:05 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#8 rdKNIGHTMAREZ

rdKNIGHTMAREZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 03:45 PM

if a minion was something you had instead of lets say... emp....that would help balance the feature.

#9 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted December 05 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on December 05 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

You asked for people's opinions...you got them.

AJK's first post nailed it on the head and is clearly the design AG intended behind such a mechanic.

What is with this new mentality of some people that post ideas and think everyone will instantly agree with them just because THEY think it's a great idea and can't see it from any of POV.

Why don't you try coming up with some new and innovative ideas of things to ADD to Hawken that actually fits into Hawken as it already is, instead of trying to change the core gameplay.

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 05 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

if a minion was something you had instead of lets say... emp....that would help balance the feature.

Minion_ What world are you on_ We are talking about Hawken here, not WOW or Skyrim...

Cheers,

Gagzila

Edited by Gagzila, December 05 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Posted Image

#10 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted December 06 2012 - 02:17 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 05 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

God no. Repairing is supposed to be when you're at your most vulnerable. If you need to be defended while repairing, go back to base or find some teammates.
I agree. If this was ever implemented, it would be a gamebreaker.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#11 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:27 AM

I honestly can't imagine a way for you to still be considered vulnerable while it not being completely useless. Maybe have the ability to sacrifice half your repair speed for cloaking or muffled repairing.
Desert Fox

#12 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:41 AM

I can't see this working. As others have said, this should be a point where you are at your most vulnerable (it's why you're repairing, after all).
What should be happening when you're repairing is that you find your team and they cover you. This is what I try to do for others when I see them repairing and I'd encourage others to do the same.
It's playing as a team which should keep you safe whilst repairing.

Of course, that only applies to the team modes. DM is a free-for-all and you're on your own, literally. Vulnerability is part of the game-mode and brings out the best fights for survival.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:05 AM

Repair drones should be able to immediately end the match with a victory for you or your team.

Oh, and they can also immediately capture all missile silos, fill your EU tanks to maximuim, and one-shot battleships.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#14 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 07 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

Repair drones should be able to immediately end the match with a victory for you or your team.

Oh, and they can also immediately capture all missile silos, fill your EU tanks to maximuim, and one-shot battleships.
We should just play as repair drones, who needs those silly mechs_ There's a reason only scum who can't shell out $60 only get a mech and not a repair drone.
Desert Fox

#15 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:32 AM

How about a straight offensive drone that takes the place of the repair drone_ Preferably glowing with fairy wings.

#16 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostRoundlay, on December 07 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

How about a straight offensive drone that takes the place of the repair drone_ Preferably glowing with fairy wings.
Imagine this: Your mech is about to be destroyed, you go to a corner and press C. An offensive drone pops out, giving you just enough firepower to help your pilot climb out and escape the battlefield (or get out a wrench and repair the mech).
Desert Fox

#17 Westrim

Westrim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAbove you

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:30 AM

Rather than arming the repair drone itself, I've been toying around with the idea of a deployable drone with a limited lifespan (say, 25 seconds) that orbits your mech. You could deploy it and repair while it keeps watch, or you could use it as minor source of firepower when storming the enemy. It would probably have the firepower and health of one of the two turret types, and have to stop and hover when firing (hopefully coded so that isn't into a wall, but considering the things I've seen turrets do...).

The repair drone should stay unarmed; I think it's a crucial element of strategy and good gameplay tension that we're sitting ducks. There's little more nail-biting in the game then boosting out almost dead and hunkering down to repair while hoping that the enemy doesn't find you, you can repair in time, your team will cover you, or all three- and the subsequent rush of relief when you make it okay and get back into combat is great. Automatically having some protection every time would severely injure that.

Edited by Westrim, December 08 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#18 Baslok

Baslok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Locationruhrpott

Posted December 08 2012 - 03:41 AM

like he said,

View PostrdKNIGHTMAREZ, on December 05 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

only emp everything more is to OP and break the game balance

Posted Image

#19 nanocage

nanocage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNRW

Posted December 08 2012 - 11:29 AM

An offensive repair drone should lose some of its healing capabilities. It may defend you while you're healing, but it should also heal you at a slower rate or it can only heal your mech up to e.g. 80 % of your total health max.

Edit:
Hallo, Baslok! ^^

Edited by nanocage, December 08 2012 - 11:31 AM.

c12c3c4c5c1c6c7c8c2c9c1c3c2c3c4c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c9c8c9c1c2c1c2c3c4c3c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c8c9c1c1c2c3c2c4c5c6c3c7c8c1c23

#20 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted December 08 2012 - 11:47 AM

I just want my fracking bobblehead for my cockpit :ph34r:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Exclusive, Forum, Game, Project, Update, Website, Review, Preview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users