HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Repair Drone Initiative

Announcement Community Exclusive Forum Game Project Update Website Review Preview

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Offensive/Defensive Repair Drones (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Repair Drones have the additional capability to auto-defend you while repairing your mech_

1. Yes (11 votes [13.92%])

Percentage of vote: 13.92%

2. No (68 votes [86.08%])

Percentage of vote: 86.08%

If repair drones were given minor offensive powers what should they be_{Select your favorites}

1. Like the deployable MG Turret (3 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Like the Deployable Rocket Turret (1 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

3. Limited Range Flamethrower with Timed Burning Splash Damage (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

4. Lazer Pulses (7 votes [7.29%])

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

5. Mini Grenade Launcher With Splash Exlosive Damage {damage reduced as is a mini grenade} (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

6. Stealth "Reduced Visibility" Cloak that renders you Nearly Invisible for the duration But Takes Slightly Longer to Repair{Think Infiltrator Ability } (14 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

7. All of the Above {but can only select one option per drone} (8 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

8. Other {Please supply your choice by adding to the forum} (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. None of the Above {Leave it the way it is} (59 votes [61.46%])

Percentage of vote: 61.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Postnanocage, on December 08 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

An offensive repair drone should lose some of its healing capabilities. It may defend you while you're healing, but it should also heal you at a slower rate or it can only heal your mech up to e.g. 80 % of your total health max.

Edit:
Hallo, Baslok! ^^
Bwahahaha. Just give it fight club repair rates.
Sure, you can heal while being defended, but you'll spend the next 5 minutes hunkered down. 20 minutes if your a C-mech.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#22 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostQuanZen, on December 08 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I just want my fracking bobblehead for my cockpit :ph34r:
Wrong game... Try MWO. :angry:

#23 nanocage

nanocage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNRW

Posted December 09 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 08 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

An offensive repair drone should lose some of its healing capabilities. It may defend you while you're healing, but it should also heal you at a slower rate or it can only heal your mech up to e.g. 80 % of your total health max.

Edit:
Hallo, Baslok! ^^
Sure, you can heal while being defended, but you'll spend the next 5 minutes hunkered down. 20 minutes if your a C-mech.

Well. I see a defensive repair drone more as gimmick. More as some cute little pea-shooter called "The Pea-Shooter" dealing less damage then a turret. Only dangerous to critical health mechs and warning you, that someone is nearby. Combine that with a slight increase in repair time to make it even.

It is sort off plausible: A repair-drone with an optional in-built defence mechanism originally designed against foot-soldiers hiding in buildings. Now obsolete in battle, but still in use.

c12c3c4c5c1c6c7c8c2c9c1c3c2c3c4c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c9c8c9c1c2c1c2c3c4c3c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c8c9c1c1c2c3c2c4c5c6c3c7c8c1c23

#24 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 09 2012 - 11:19 AM

Bad memories. BAD memories!
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#25 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 09 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on December 09 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Bad memories. BAD memories!
I actually loved trying to stall people long enough for a buddy to repair back up to 50% plus so they could flank
Some of the most exciting fights I had came from low repair rates hindering potential reinforcements
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#26 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted December 09 2012 - 03:16 PM

cloak is the only thing i like here but only at a severely reduced rate to repair. maybe just make it so that the infil doesn't uncloak while repairing. actually, now that i think about it, its just way to satisfying to blast a person repairing. scrap the idea.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#27 Adreni

Adreni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 11:13 PM

Edit:
Hallo, Baslok! ^^

Fight Club___ Oh, wait. First rule.

Also, the guy's talking sense. In fact, it might be interesting to have something a little like "Armored Core's" Exceed Orbit. Drones that deal damage rather than repairing you. Of course, having one of those would completely disable any hope of repairing yourself. You would have no choice but to rely on a mech with a torch, or on drops and unloads. Conversely, you have sustained, auto-targeting DPS. THAT I like.

A sort of half-and-half might be a good idea, too. Looks like that's what that Veteran's pack thing is.

NOTE: Damage output would probably best be equal to damage repair rate.

Edited by Adreni, December 10 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#28 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 07:59 AM

I rather like the idea of a drone defensive item, but I think that'd drive it further into AC territory, which I wouldn't honestly want.  This game has less of a far future feel than Armored Core, and I like that.

#29 Thane_4

Thane_4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 08:03 AM

I voted on, but maybe a upgradable radar system that detected nearby enemies would be ok.

#30 Unholy_Champion

Unholy_Champion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostWestrim, on December 08 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

The repair drone should stay unarmed; I think it's a crucial element of strategy and good gameplay tension that we're sitting ducks. There's little more nail-biting in the game then boosting out almost dead and hunkering down to repair while hoping that the enemy doesn't find you, you can repair in time, your team will cover you, or all three- and the subsequent rush of relief when you make it okay and get back into combat is great. Automatically having some protection every time would severely injure that.

I concur.  I would not want to have my repair drone giving away my location by attacking someone who may just happen to be near me and has not seen my yet while i'm at half health X_x.  Especially if the repair drone does less damage than my main weapon.

I also like the idea of having a customizable mobile drone that can either repair/do damage hovering around the tank. - but thats for another thread.

#31 Chefslayer

Chefslayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL

Posted December 18 2012 - 09:43 PM

You guys are complete idiots repair bots are to repair you nothing else... if you choose not to spend your points to half the repair time then your screwed... go find team mates. if you want repair bots to do something else go play another game... this is good
Posted Image

#32 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:23 PM

That was.. uh... a bit of an overreaction to a discussion of ideas....

#33 Strikermodel

Strikermodel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:04 AM

Goodness no. While I hate being caught with my pants down I love catching people with theirs.

#34 jalmar

jalmar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 19 2012 - 03:09 AM

I also feel that an offensive ability would be out of place in the context of a repairdrone.

To contribute to the topic, here's another wild idea; give players the option to replace the repairdrone with a scoutdrone.

ScoutDrone
Cooldown: 90s
Ability: The player deploys a remote controlled drone that can stay airborne for ~15s or until shot down. Able to use 1 "tag enemy"-callout.
Negative aspect: Leaves the player vulnerable to attacks during use, and makes him depend on repair charges.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Exclusive, Forum, Game, Project, Update, Website, Review, Preview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users