HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

MUTE!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cybrex

Cybrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 15 2011 - 07:20 AM

One thing I ALWAYS want in an Online Multiplayer game that will be on a console is the power to mute people in the game.  Quick and easy, or even better, the option to have player auto-muted and if you want to hear them, you can unmute them.  Or, perhaps a way to list the people that are not to be muted, ie.  friends list.

There just have been too many games that I stopped playing on my PS3 because I couldn't mute the large amount of people I had to listen to which made it difficult to play the game.  Especially when they are screaming at other players, cursing, swearing and of course being extremely raciest.

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 15 2011 - 08:17 AM

Indeed, you should be able to mute every player during the battle down there.

Would be a good idea to show who is muting you as well. So this way you have a chance to behave and/or not to scream that much and to subsequently get unmuted again. :)

Most of the times, users can get muted because of background noise and/or annoying breathing, chumming, et cetera. Hahah.. We all should have that into consideration in the moment we start to play online games using some sort of team-chat gear.. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 15 2011 - 02:15 PM

I'm for muting, though I don't think it should be displayed if someone muted you. Why_ A couple of reasons:

1. Muting is a client-side feature. More crap having to be passed over the network.
2. 1 person a team of people muting does not make. Do you display the "you have been muted" if only one person muted you_ If so do you distinguish it down to the people who are muting you_ That might cause issues between the two (which leads me into #3)
3. Instigates the muted player. Think of that one guy. Yeah, you know the one. Ranting and raving about crap, yelling, etc. Imagine he gets a message saying "you have been muted". That's only going to make him worse for any players not muting him. If you are also showing who's muting him, hellllooooo personal attacks...

Xbox 360 has a part where you can rep down for stuff (it never shows though). One of the options is for communication, and I believe breaks it down by noise/distraction, language, etc. Although it's sadly underutilized...
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#4 Cybrex

Cybrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 08:38 AM

Ya, I'm not keen on the idea of seeing who's muting you, especially if there is to be Clan features.  You could get angry at people, and then their's the muting war, and that would just be problematic.  I just want to make sure I can mute the peopl that are extremely annoying.

#5 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 16 2011 - 06:00 PM

Easy way too mute a player

as what was said the guy you mutted shouldn't know

Clan options that you can talk to your clan members better although i dont know were you all are going with this but sound nice maybe one can elobrate on it...

One more thing, in mechassualt 2 we saw alot videos being uploaded, which was nice but EVEYONE wanted the chat to be recorded especialy during clan matches,  If there was an EASY was to record the chat in game would be great. An option that will record only the voices that you have unmuted.  With a time index so any other video made  can be sync'd all up.  For that matter all high level clan matchs should be recorded not just POV but all movment on the map.  Better stratagies can be devloped this way.
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 17 2011 - 09:43 AM

Ashfire908 said:

I'm for muting, though I don't think it should be displayed if someone muted you. Why_ A couple of reasons:
3. Instigates the muted player. Think of that one guy. Yeah, you know the one. Ranting and raving about crap, yelling, etc. Imagine he gets a message saying "you have been muted". That's only going to make him worse for any players not muting him. If you are also showing who's muting him, hellllooooo personal attacks...

I'd be one of those saying "who cares if I've been muted or not..". But as ash says, in the worst of the scenarios would not be so good idea to report on it.

Although mute is a must in every modern game today. I think that there're not many difficulties on the netcode to be coded by the devs and currently the bandwith required to run the whole thing is, for the lack of a better word, minimal.

So no problem at all. Just throwing our ideas on here; as always. Although I'd be more worried on observers, topic which deserves its own thread on here, now that I mention it. .:)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 17 2011 - 10:11 AM

The_Silencer said:

Although mute is a must in every modern game today. I think that there're not many difficulties on the netcode to be coded by the devs and currently the bandwith required to run the whole thing is, for the lack of a better word, minimal.
Oh yeah, totally. You actually could do it with zero additional data being passed around, just drop the sound coming from the player on the system where the person was muted. I just don't think you should report it to any of the players.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#8 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted June 18 2011 - 04:15 PM

I wish there was an caps lock/row of exclamation marks mute button for my browser. ;)

#9 Cybrex

Cybrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 07:11 AM

Provi said:

I wish there was an caps lock/row of exclamation marks mute button for my browser. ;)

/signed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users