HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Items to Help Dictate Range

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 02:54 AM

Perhaps the most glaring lack of tool right now is the ability for a mech to dictate or control the range of engagement. There are plenty of interesting, viable classes that are undone by their lack of DPS and the ability of opponents to tank their damage (and/or, the increased fuel reserves of CBE3 allowing for much longer forward boosts). Rather than attempting radical weapon rebalancing or map redesign, the most salient addition would be some item or items that allow these classes to better maintain range and therefore effectiveness against other high-DPS classes (vis a vis, anyone carrying some variant of Flak cannon).

There are two possibilities as I see it: either a slowing turret that when deployed slows all mechs in its area of effect, or an EMP-style launchable projectile that slows opponents caught in it's area of influence for a certain amount of time. Also possible is some kind of fuel-siphon that drains opponent's fuel reserves, preventing boosting/dodging/flying for a time or in an area of influence.

Draco

#2 z121231211

z121231211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:02 AM

I disagree completely with preventing people from moving around. There's a reason why the turret mode on C classes is extremely ineffective even with all the buffs to damage, defense, and even a regen.

Standing still in this game is death.
Desert Fox

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 07 2012 - 03:17 AM

You already can dictate the terms of engagement. I do it all the time.

It's not something that's a "Press button to do" thing; it's something that separates the average player from the good one.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#4 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted December 07 2012 - 04:28 AM

This would be genocide in coordinated team matches. Decent players in A-class frames already run circles around slower mechs.

The only viable (though I wouldn't support it) would be a support item short range teleport as in Dishonoured  X axis only. That way any advantage it gave could be cancelled out by packing your own teleport and it would only effect a single mech so team games wouldn't become a cluster-fuzzy bunny.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users