HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"Classes" for different mech levels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maoman

Maoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Location<insert humorous location>

Posted December 08 2012 - 07:15 PM

I realize with the current optimization system, there usually isn't a significant difference between a level 0 and a level 20. Just wanted to say that first for all the people who freaked out when they read my title. :)

However, I assume that in the future, maybe in open beta, or in the full release, we will see an optimization menu that has been significantly altered, if not completely replaced, which will hopefully have a more significant impact on your mech. After all, it's a bit pathetic at the moment.

So, if this is true, then in the future, there will be a huge difference between brand new level 0 mechs and top end, maxed out level (insert future level cap) mechs. I propose a "class" system, so level 20s will only ever fight against other level 20s, and you could split up the rest of the levels in small groups, such as having 0-4, 5-9, 10-14, and 15-19 all play together.

Having groups, rather than strictly allowing only level 1s with other 1s, 2s with 2s, etc, would allow a much larger pool of players on the lower levels, and since every mech will eventually get to level 20, there should be no shortage of those to choose from.

However, having such a small group of only 5 levels playing together will allow your optimization points to have a minimal impact on the outcome of 1 vs 1 battles (or similar somewhat-evenly matched battles), and your own personal skill will have a much greater impact on the outcome of the match.

#2 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 08 2012 - 07:28 PM

what about people who buy new mechs_ Also why should there be considerable vertical progression rather than meaningful horizontal progression_
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#3 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 08 2012 - 08:05 PM

There's been a lotta similar discussion, especially towards creating a sort of universal ranking system regardless of mech level, like a skill level or player level, and also discussion into putting players into 'rank bands'. Can't remember where it is, but I've commented on it before XD

Just as an FYI, biggest overall benefit from being level 20 IMO is the weapon leveling. Reduced spread, heat, etc. is more than some of the current optimisations put together.
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#4 Maoman

Maoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Location<insert humorous location>

Posted December 08 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 08 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

what about people who buy new mechs_

Um... isn't it obvious that they would start from the beginning of the ranks again_ As I said - the ranking would allow the player's skill to have the most significant impact over the outcome of the battle. Obviously a veteran player in a lvl 0 mech will be much better than someone playing for the first time, but there's not a lot to do about that - plus it's kind of expected to meet players much more experienced than you when you first start playing.

View PostBeemann, on December 08 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Also why should there be considerable vertical progression rather than meaningful horizontal progression_

I have no idea wtf this is supposed to mean.

#5 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 08 2012 - 08:51 PM

What're you going to do if I switch from my level 1 brawler to my level 17 assault_ Or would I just be completely unable to use an assault mech unless I purchased a new one_ If the match requires a change of tactics, am I just completely hamstrung because the only mech I own out of X different mechs that isn't level 20 is the one I'm strapped into_ Because that would sure suck to be trying to level a C-class mech against a full team of A-classers who know what they're doing.

There could, however, be a level cap of sorts. Alternatively, and I have brought up this before when this whole topic was discussed previously (out of many), Hawken could take a page from Blacklight: Retribution and have Proving Grounds servers. Proving Grounds servers are designed for newbies and have a maximum level cap; once you're higher than this, you have to go and play on the uncapped servers where the max-level players can run around much faster than you and go invisible (ugh). But, you at least get a while to find your footing against power-limited opponents.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#6 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:38 PM

You're splitting the matchmaker too damned many ways, and ignoring the fact that people have access to multiple mechs every match

As for vertical and horizontal progression, best way to explain is that vertical = WoW-style leveling, Horizontal = TF2's weapon system if it were balanced correctly
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#7 Necro

Necro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 08 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

As for vertical and horizontal progression, best way to explain is that vertical = WoW-style leveling, Horizontal = TF2's weapon system if it were balanced correctly
the topic between vertical progression vrs horizontal is something pretty huge.

They both have their pros and cons and neither on is essentially better then the other one.

Vertical progression is your stats essentially and horizontal is your play-style and skill essentially.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users