HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Software - Was it just UDK_

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VTeixeira

VTeixeira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hello everyone,
first I would like to congratulate everyone.
What an amazing work you have all done - congratulations.
I read about Hawken in here: http://www.udk.com/showcase-hawken and theres was something that keep me thinking:

“We had some initial worries that using only what was available in UDK might limit us artistically, but overall the artists have been very happy with the ease and power of UDK. It enables our small team to create triple-A quality visuals.”

Did you used only UDK_ Didn't you used Max to create the objects or any other type of 3D software. I really searched about this and didn't get any info about it. It's just curiosity.
Thank you all and i wish you all the best of luck.
Cheers

#2 LordPorkSword

LordPorkSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Auzzie

Posted June 28 2011 - 02:57 PM

As far as I'm aware there's no 3D modelling component within UDK.
Maya or Blender are the more popular 3D moddling & animating progs out there so I wouldn't be surprised if they used one of those.

The primary purpose of the interview itself was a plug for UDK and the lack of a modelling & animating component is a shortcomming of that software...hence the absence of discussion for that part from the interview!  ;)
"The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!"
Unreal Old Friends

#3 HitmonInfinity

HitmonInfinity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted June 28 2011 - 05:29 PM

Maya and Photoshop for sure.  Probably crazybump or xnormals, and some other simple software options probably.

#4 VTeixeira

VTeixeira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted June 29 2011 - 12:41 AM

I would go for Max I think.
Just guessing.

#5 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted June 29 2011 - 12:07 PM

VTeixeira said:

I would go for Max I think.
Just guessing.
The UDK includes the Unreal editor, and it's awesome. It also has the Autodesk FBX importer so for creating content like meshes etc you can use Maya, Max or whatever else you like to use.

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 29 2011 - 03:06 PM

Maaaax ! :D

Cool :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted June 30 2011 - 12:14 PM

VTeixeira said:

“We had some initial worries that using only what was available in UDK might limit us artistically, but overall the artists have been very happy with the ease and power of UDK. It enables our small team to create triple-A quality visuals.”

Did you used only UDK_ Didn't you used Max to create the objects or any other type of 3D software. I really searched about this and didn't get any info about it. It's just curiosity.
Thank you all and i wish you all the best of luck.
Cheers

UDK isn't a modeling or animation package, it isn't used in that way to create art assets from scratch.  What Khang's talking about in that quote is engine tools, lighting, and other facets of Unreal that let us modify and arrange our art assets into cool looking levels and the game in general.

Some of the other software we use is Maya, Photoshop, SketchUp, CrazyBump, Flash, among others.

#8 VTeixeira

VTeixeira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 01 2011 - 01:15 AM

I see.
Thank you for the answer.
congratulations on your awesome work.
Wish you the best...

#9 knessi

knessi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 13 2011 - 07:39 PM

hey thanks for answering my query in UDK royalty thread ChrisLalli.

in the Showcase interview... it was said that UDK was the frontrunner, what was the other
engines you guys considered, like second or a third runner.

Was Unity3d Considered .... if you guys did considered it, what was it's limitations ___
I could see some of the stuff being faked in Unity, the heightfog and glows on objects, hmm, i wonder if that would ground unity to a halt, seeing that you have so much stuff going on in UDK, and the size.

thanks agian ChrisLalli

#10 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:58 PM

I personally use a combination of tools, Cinema 4DXL, Rhino, MAX, softimage and Zbrush plus Digital Fusion and Musix Maker. So UDK3 is just one part of the total equation.
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users