HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

LOW fps on ATI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Apehunter

Apehunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 06:42 AM

Dear Devs,

as far as i have tested gameplay is really nice, graphics very good, all in all very promising game, good work!

BUT as a ATI user (7870) i wont play the game because of massive fps drops and lags (in action around 30-25 fps). Although you seem to optimize everything for nvidia please do some optimization for ATI users too!

In the actual state the game is nearly unplayable for me.

PS: The usual workaround for ATI GPUs with ini tweaking doesnt fix fps drops and lags.

Edited by Apehunter, December 14 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#2 ibm5155

ibm5155

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 09:36 AM

Lol so my intel hd 3000 is running almost like a ati 7870 xD

#3 Knuddeltrauma

Knuddeltrauma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 11:13 AM

Same here, problems with the fps ingame with my ATI - can play on high or low, same fps ingame... thats realy frustrating.

#4 8lackSt33L

8lackSt33L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:12 PM

radeon 6850hd medium>high>ultra- same fps

#5 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted December 14 2012 - 01:44 PM

Radeon 6950 1GB, High Graphics, Ultra Textures.  Will have to measure but from the looks of it, I'm seeing around 40-50fps normally, but drops down to 10-15 in fights containing 5 or more mechs.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#6 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted December 14 2012 - 02:20 PM

The main prob with AMD cards is that AMD made 0 effort to work with the Hawken team during development while I believe Nvidia worked fairly closely with Hawken.

Was a post made awhile ago about this.

#7 SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!

Technical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted December 14 2012 - 03:09 PM

Our game is generally more cpu limiting.  What CPU do you have_

#8 FR33JACK

FR33JACK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 14 2012 - 04:44 PM

So the new open beta is interesting, the menus are killing performance for me (4870×2 Catalyst 12.6l), but it’s pretty decent in game. Everything is maxed and I appear to be cpu limited (q9550 at 3.6ghz). Moving around does result in lower framerates like the closed alpha and beta, but maybe it’s a bit more stable now. Also, lowering resolution increases performance when not cpu limited, compared to before where for some reason it ran fastest for me at 1920×1200 native. So try the open beta, do not be alarmed at the awful menu and garage framerates, just start the tutorial or play a match, and remember to force triple buffering if using vsync.
Seems like this is another odd case of poor vsync coming from a recent Unreal Engine 3 game. So if you want to play Hawken with vsync, you better force triple buffering in D3DOverrider, RadeonPro, or similar programs.
As for the driver profile, the exe name is incorrect. The current beta and previous alpha are HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe, while the driver is expecting just HawkenGame.exe. Maybe the developer renamed the game exe recently, oh well.
So what you want to do is either rename your game exe to HawkenGame.exe, or make a crossfire profile in CCC/RadeonPro to load the driver’s Hawken profile.

my rig: AMD Phenom II 955BE OC 4.4Ghz; 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz; ATI 7850 1Gb OC 1050/ 5200Mhz; Win 7x64U;
In-game settings: 1920x1080; Ultra, 4xMSAA (*through "HawkenSystemSettings.ini") + Adaptive AA in CCC; ingame MLAA OFF (HawkenSystemSettings.ini); vsync OFF; AF ingame default; fov 80; **Physx OFF
with Catalyst 12.11 beta11 cap2

Personally, I have 60-100 FPS (intense shootouts - 45-70) at "Bazaar" and "Uptown" maps most of the time, but with odd (not too frequent) lags wich drops my FPS to 20-30-40 for one or two seconds. Huge FPS drop I have at "Prosk" and for the most, at "Sion" maps...very frequent 30-35 - doesn't matter low ingame settings or high, ultra.

* - forcing AA through CCC and I've got an common, Unreal Engine 3 "white outline bug" on antialiased objects - MaxMultiSamples=4; bAllowD3D9MSAA=True in "HawkenSystemSettings.ini" will do the trick just fine = no "white outline bug"

** - While I can set physx to "on" or "high" and have with it just about same amount of FPS (50-70), it increases lags duration from 1-2 sec. to 2-3 and most of all, the frequency of it - not depending on the number of rendered particles in the visible field of view...but just "overal lag" ...plus, physx debris and particles look ugly, too big, not too realistic and badly interfere with aim and dog fights...so, I just don't care for them for now. But if devs in the future will make them better and more beautiful, I will be using them with joy and such :)

EDIT:
My lags doesn't depending on fights or shootouts...they occur randomly while looking around or walking/ running. FPS drop at "Prosk", "Sion" maps are also doesn't depending much on intensity of rendered objects - on that maps I have overal poor performance regardless on game settings or display resolution. As I see it, there something wrong with material parameters in Unreal Engine Editor...invalid settings for streamIng textures/ objects maybe_..

Edited by FR33JACK, December 14 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#9 Brakskit

Brakskit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 14 2012 - 06:05 PM

The framerate is fine (122+) on my freshly built (days old) computer (3570, 16gb ram, 7870) but it feels sluggish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users