HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On radar jammers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: could these work well from a tactical standpoint_ (26 member(s) have cast votes)

could these work well from a tactical standpoint_

1. Perhaps (8 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. No (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. Yes (17 votes [65.38%])

Percentage of vote: 65.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 10 2012 - 11:52 AM

You may discuss on this ( again )

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 BrainBox

BrainBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and nowhere.

Posted March 11 2012 - 08:17 AM

Deployable or passively around the mech equipped with a jammer_
"Of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing can ever be made."
-Immanuel Kant

#3 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 11 2012 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

it jammed somthing
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#4 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 12 2012 - 03:50 PM

Could you ellaborate a little more_.

On the other one hand, jammers might add an interesting set of tactics, at least, on certain maps as well as in certain gamemodes.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#5 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 05:41 AM

Keekenox: That looks like an EMP that automatically creates a situation like an overheat from your weapons would.

Here's a question, I've not really seen radars on the HUDs in the mechs. If they implement that for, like, scout mechs then yeah I would say a jammer would be totally useful, but I'd want it to be kind of a one-off weapon of some kind. Maybe a secondary weapon with a crazy-long reload time. Sort of like those grenades that spread little metal flak to mess with electronics.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 13 2012 - 11:29 AM

ThinkTank said:

Deployable or passively around the mech equipped with a jammer_

Yep, those would be the 2 main ideas or approaches on jammers.

IIRC, we were discussing on the following details, prior to the forum's anomaly:

1.- Deployable Static Jammers:

- Once you deploy it then you can not move it again.
- Bigger size. ( So pilots do not deploy these on unaccessible places on the maps )
- Bigger umbrella than the mech's version.
- More efective than the mech's version.
- Someone suggested making these visible on radar. So pilots can remove them making the whole thing more fun...

2.- Mech jammering equipment:

- Not so efficient as the static version.
- Smaller range or umbrella.
- Cooldown required or to limit jammering to some few seconds.
- Smaller range or umbrella.

I think that this is basically what we were discussing on the matter. Go it, guys! ;)

Posted Image

#7 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 12:29 PM

Those are some awesome thoughts. Do we know if they're going to be implementing radar_ Having an emplacement option beyond the minigun turrets they've shown so far would be great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNZL

Posted March 13 2012 - 03:42 PM

i like the deployable jammer idea.

Only problem is as as was pointed out preventing them from being placed in "bad" locations.

On board radarjammers may be the way to go.

Im not sure about what other items will go in your accessory slot (if you have one) but perhaps the other accessories  could be valuable enough that the mech based jammer provides a large area. so you have a kind of "someone on our team take jammer'

or a "hey mate, one of us take jammer, the other go (somethingelse)"  Making the jammer a support item. (i love support classes )
Heres to clan support! With me Qirex pilots, for the motherland!

#9 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 08:14 PM

Producing a RJ with a cooldown therefore it won't be abused.

I support 'radar jamming'.
Naraklok

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 14 2012 - 07:20 AM

Psygnosis said:

i like the deployable jammer idea.

Only problem is as as was pointed out preventing them from being placed in "bad" locations.

On board radarjammers may be the way to go.

Im not sure about what other items will go in your accessory slot (if you have one) but perhaps the other accessories  could be valuable enough that the mech based jammer provides a large area. so you have a kind of "someone on our team take jammer'

or a "hey mate, one of us take jammer, the other go (somethingelse)"  Making the jammer a support item. (i love support classes )

I like your approach on jammers up there. I think that 1 team mate could significantly sacrifice his own firepower with a jammer and in order to support his team. I also like the 1 jammer per team option, indeed. This suggestion makes me not to be interested on deployable static jammers anymore.

Additionally, short duration (some few seconds)  plus one fair cooldown should be the right way for jammers (as equipment for a mech per team or in 1vs1), IMHO.

So good point, Psygnosis! ;)

Posted Image

#11 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 08:24 AM

The advent of support mechs in Chrome Hounds was freaking brilliant. Some of the ideas were a little game breaking (like communication only being possible by activating com towers that were planet every half mile) but others, like mechs that supplied radar and and radar jamming capabilities to the team were amazing. As long as the team didn't leave the support mech in the dust, they could provide a backbone to the team that quickly became vital. I wouldn't mind seeing equipment that could effectively create the same layout here. Creating support class primary and secondary weapons would be terrific.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I definitely think that jammers ( if well handled [balanced] and implemented ) could be a good twist from a tactical standpoint; as well a great addition to this game.

I'm pretty curious on whether pilots will be able to pick up and drop stuff during the fight. Time will tell... :D

Posted Image

#13 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted March 25 2012 - 11:15 AM

you could even implement a spear/dart that could, upon hitting an object, start generating a sensor jaming field in a certain radius of the spear/dart and it be a RPG point purchasable item or what ever they call the in game money thing.  basically creating an area of sensor interference for the other team's mech.  could even possibly attaching it to other mechs once deployed.

almost like a reverse motion sensor from Battlefield

because bow ties are cool

#14 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 29 2012 - 04:25 AM

or a rawket lawnchah that actually explodes when it hits :/
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 30 2012 - 12:07 PM

Odin said:

you could even implement a spear/dart that could, upon hitting an object, start generating a sensor jaming field in a certain radius of the spear/dart and it be a RPG point purchasable item or what ever they call the in game money thing.  basically creating an area of sensor interference for the other team's mech.  could even possibly attaching it to other mechs once deployed.

almost like a reverse motion sensor from Battlefield

Or this dart could interfere the jamming system of your targetted mech.

I like this idea for when you visually see a mech not showin on radar. One quite neat way to counter jammers! :D

Posted Image

#16 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted April 02 2012 - 05:43 AM

Silencer said:

One quite neat way to counter jammers!

Indeed! I never thought of it that way.
Wandering gun #45

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted April 06 2012 - 12:25 PM

:)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users