HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

EMP - Overpowered and out of Control!!!! or is it_

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, 'Murica

Posted January 01 2013 - 03:49 PM

While the EMP is strong I think a lot of people forget that the H.E Charge is equally powerful. Both items can turn the tide of the battle yet its always people complaining about the EMP. And honestly people, until it's patched, just buy the countermeasures to restart your mech the second its disabled. Hawken Points don't have much use besides purchasing new mechs anyway.

#202 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 01 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostInhibitor, on January 01 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

While the EMP is strong I think a lot of people forget that the H.E Charge is equally powerful. Both items can turn the tide of the battle yet its always people complaining about the EMP. And honestly people, until it's patched, just buy the countermeasures to restart your mech the second its disabled. Hawken Points don't have much use besides purchasing new mechs anyway.
Nope
With an EMP if you're a competent player you can do AT LEAST as much damage as an HE, in addition to all the forced repositioning
And while the HE requires aim, the EMP requires hitting somewhere within the same zip code as your target
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#203 Inhibitor

Inhibitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, 'Murica

Posted January 01 2013 - 04:31 PM

It has enough drawbacks to keep it from being OP if you ask me. Yes, the radius is large but, more than often I see people shocking themselves along with their target with the EMP, or just missing. It still does require aim and simply spamming it won't net you first place alone. You need skill for that, and the EMP doesn't guarantee your win any more than the other equipment does. (In my opinion)

The time you're left without power could certainly be knocked down to 3 or 4 seconds like closed beta 2, or at the very least trimming the impact radius.

#204 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 01 2013 - 04:51 PM

The same amount of skill required to hit with an EMP is the same for a HE charge (i would argue easier though, as explained below) yet the EMP can incapacitate upto an entire team and prevent damage coming from them while they reposition for 7 seconds.. whereas the HE charge can at most do damage to a single target, and maybe splash a little.

Not to mention coordinated consecutive EMP shots will destroy any attempt at a response.

I'm not sure how you're seeing the part where because its 'harder' to point and push 1 at a mechs feet that this somehow brings it back from being OP over something like HE charge, which is actually harder to aim as it doesn't have the added bonus of detonating on contact with the ground and needs to hit directly.

People having trouble EMP'ing because they keep getting themselves with it as well_

That sounds like a them problem not a me(us) problem. I would not use that as a determining factor that somehow brings EMP back in line with HE charge.

Edited by Woobins, January 01 2013 - 05:00 PM.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#205 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 01 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostInhibitor, on January 01 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

It has enough drawbacks to keep it from being OP if you ask me. Yes, the radius is large but, more than often I see people shocking themselves along with their target with the EMP, or just missing. It still does require aim and simply spamming it won't net you first place alone. You need skill for that, and the EMP doesn't guarantee your win any more than the other equipment does. (In my opinion)

The time you're left without power could certainly be knocked down to 3 or 4 seconds like closed beta 2, or at the very least trimming the impact radius.
Only new players and bad players self-emp on any basis consistent enough to be considered a drawback. Same goes for missing
Any competent player will be able to get good use out of HALF of the EMP time
Balancing EMP for the people who self EMP and miss with the huge radius and on-impact explosion the item provides is the surest way  to ensure that EMP will continue to be banned in comp play
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#206 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 05:46 PM

What I've seen so far from the EMP is that it is definitely overpowered. I threw a shield down, saw an EMP hit it, and I got zapped when I was two full shield radii away from the impact point of the EMP on the shield. Lob one in the AA basement and there's a good chance you take out 3-4 people. In the hands of a competent player, it's a WIN button. Not just 1vs1, but your team. It's just too easy to use, to large a radius, too long a stun and too much of a disability when everything but basic movement is locked.
Not so competent players try to EMP a turreted Brawler and boost into his little den to finish the job at close range. That's just asking for a face full of flak.

#207 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yeah, I think the radius is currently the biggest issue with the EMP.  If it's splash were half what it currently is, I don't think it'd be too bad.  But splash radius or duration, one of 'em has to be reduced to bring it back in line.

#208 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 09:33 PM

EMP is OP and out of control.
/thread
Posted Image

#209 Giga_V_2

Giga_V_2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted January 01 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostPursang, on December 23 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'm not going to comment as to whether the EMP needs to be nerfed or not. I am going to say one thing, however: Balance needs to be achieved, somehow. Whether that be through nerfing certain items, or buffing others. Balance can take a fine line, but a good developer knows how to walk that line.

Doing nothing to balance the game is just as bad to the game as caving in to the torrent of useless whiners who plague this forum.
A much slower EMP recharge_
Posted Image

#210 Giga_V_2

Giga_V_2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted January 01 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, I agree that the EMP must never be nerfed.
Posted Image

#211 Soshomru

Soshomru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted January 01 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostGiga_V_2, on January 01 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Well, I agree that the EMP must never be nerfed.
This man here, is trying to troll the world.

Edited by Soshomru, January 01 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#212 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted January 01 2013 - 11:26 PM

Some people just want to see the world derp.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#213 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 02 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostWoobins, on January 01 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

The same amount of skill required to hit with an EMP is the same for a HE charge (i would argue easier though, as explained below)

-snip-

Yeh, I'm gonna stop you right there, and ask that you think about what you've just said.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#214 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostGiga_V_2, on January 01 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

A much slower EMP recharge_