HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Allow SS to see radar while scoped

Beta Game

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:49 AM

I feel that the sharpshooter should still be able to see its radar HUD element while in scope mode.

Gameplay: The sharpshooter really doesn't need to be punished for using its most defining characteristic. The restricted FOV inherent to zooming is enough of a drawback.

Realism: I find it enormously hard to believe that the engineers of these machines would just decide to stop projecting such a crucial piece of information, just because a different exterior view is being shown. Remember- the pilot isn't leaning out of his window and peering through a literal optical scope. No- the mech is just projecting a different exterior view on the inside of the cockpit. It's obviously possible to display SOME elements of the HUD overlay (health status), so why not others_

Brought up from the 6th post, for clarity / further reasoning:

View PostFrenotx, on January 08 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

I am fully aware of how you "should" be using the scope. I've got my SS up to 25 with plenty of overflow, and have a tendency to fight in, or right next to, the fray. It is not infrequent that I end the match on the top of ye board. People who've played with / against my SS can surely vouch for my efficacy.

Radar is extremely important, and losing it for even a moment (especially with your FOV reduced) can be a serious issue.

For instance- we've all had those peek-a-boo moments with another mech in the opposite side of a piece of cover. When the opponent exposes themselves, you need to fire instantly before they have a chance to dodge back into cover- you don't have time to wait for your rifle to zoom. However, you can't  preemptively zoom in on where they might pop out, because they might hover up, or pop out of the other side. You're only in your scope for a moment in this situation, but access to your radar is crucial.

No other mech has to deal with this issue. With access to their radar, they can easily see what side / elevation the enemy is about to pop out from, and preemptively fire their weapon such that the grenade / rocket intercepts the enemy right at the moment of exposure.

That second or so is hugely important in those situations, and not having radar information puts you at an enormous disadvantage. The SS really doesn't need anything else making its life more difficult.

Edited by Frenotx, January 08 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#2 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:53 AM

un-scoping frequently would be a solution too, thats what I was doing when I played SS...there is no startup time so it shouldn't be a problem.
Posted Image
pm me for hire :)

#3 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:05 AM

I voted no because you shouldn't get lost in your scope and it would promote you doing this even more.

I only scope to use my secondary.. that is it. I am only in it for a few seconds and back to full view.. radar doesn't show you everything.

#4 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:30 AM

I voted yes and would even like to see my radar during repair.

#5 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:31 AM

You are not a full blown sniper,the rfle is your secondary weapon,you are suppose to pick up a target on radar,scope in,kill the target,scope out,and scout for more.
Posted Image
   I dreamed a thousand new paths...I woke and walked my old one.

#6 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 08 2013 - 07:09 AM

I am fully aware of how you "should" be using the scope. I've got my SS up to 25 with plenty of overflow, and have a tendency to fight in, or right next to, the fray. It is not infrequent that I end the match on the top of ye board. People who've played with / against my SS can surely vouch for my efficacy.

Radar is extremely important, and losing it for even a moment (especially with your FOV reduced) can be a serious issue.

For instance- we've all had those peek-a-boo moments with another mech in the opposite side of a piece of cover. When the opponent exposes themselves, you need to fire instantly before they have a chance to dodge back into cover- you don't have time to wait for your rifle to zoom. However, you can't  preemptively zoom in on where they might pop out, because they might hover up, or pop out of the other side. You're only in your scope for a moment in this situation, but access to your radar is crucial.

No other mech has to deal with this issue. With access to their radar, they can easily see what side / elevation the enemy is about to pop out from, and preemptively fire their weapon such that the grenade / rocket intercepts the enemy right at the moment of exposure.

That second or so is hugely important in those situations, and not having radar information puts you at an enormous disadvantage. The SS really doesn't need anything else making its life more difficult.

Edited by Frenotx, January 08 2013 - 07:12 AM.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#7 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 07:17 AM

yes and if you do not scope the hevy gun aims at what it feels like.

#8 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 07:43 AM

Sure, why not. Another toy to my advantage that should've already been there is never bad.

Speaking of realism... Why didn't the engineers include an ejection seat_ It's like the top priority thing to have on any machine built today! Safety!

Sidenote: I am not really much for realism though...

Edited by TwiceDead, January 08 2013 - 07:43 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Snacuum

Snacuum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 08:16 AM

Why didn't the engineers include an ejection seat_

I think it would be pretty funny. Maybe the ejector could cause a short range radar spike.

#10 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostTwiceDead, on January 08 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Sure, why not. Another toy to my advantage that should've already been there is never bad.

Speaking of realism... Why didn't the engineers include an ejection seat_ It's like the top priority thing to have on any machine built today! Safety!

Sidenote: I am not really much for realism though...

Why bother_ So you ejected out of your mech just before it exploded. Now you're a dude just kinda hanging out with a bunch of angry mechs that just tried to kill you. How long do you think you'll last_ :P

View Postrobotokom, on January 08 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

yes and if you do not scope the hevy gun aims at what it feels like.

I've played with you before. Do you remember if I was in my SS_ It's got a brommans chassis, res strut arms, a dark green paint job, and orange trim lines. Slug + sabot.

Edited by Frenotx, January 08 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#11 Thermite

Thermite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:49 AM

The charge up time is already very very short. Cycling between scoped and un-scoped not really an issue.

The game already automatically tags mechs on the radar that it sometimes feels like  a console game.

#12 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 08 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostThermite, on January 08 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

The charge up time is already very very short. Cycling between scoped and un-scoped not really an issue.

The game already automatically tags mechs on the radar that it sometimes feels like  a console game.

Did you read the situation explained in the 6th post_ That small amount of time spent zooming can have a massive impact on how a fight pans out.

#13 Thermite

Thermite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:00 AM

There should be not radar. However I would like to see the sabot SLOWLY charge to a higher (instant kill) damage. This way it rewards the SS that wants to snipe balanced out with the FOV sacrifice and loss of information about their surrounding environment that a scoped mode produces.

#14 Squabbles

Squabbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostThermite, on January 08 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

There should be not radar. However I would like to see the sabot SLOWLY charge to a higher (instant kill) damage. This way it rewards the SS that wants to snipe balanced out with the FOV sacrifice and loss of information about their surrounding environment that a scoped mode produces.

Kinda like the sniper in TF2.  I like this idea a LOT.

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:14 AM

Could be good idea, IMHO.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#16 tamazomby

tamazomby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'd have to say no to this,  I like my idea of a zoomable scope more and would work much better imo.
Being scoped should make you lose track of your surroundings,

Edited by tamazomby, January 08 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:59 AM

No because it's a part of the mechanic for the ss.

#18 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted January 08 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostThermite, on January 08 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Getting instagibbed is a very unpleasant experience, especially when you potentially had no real way to know it was coming / avoid it. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the devs intentionally avoiding this possibility. It just makes for a potentially unfun game experience. Additionally, it would fuzzy bunny up the pacing of the game. You lose a lot of the "I'm in a big heavy war machine" feel and sense of scale when you can one-shot-kill (or be killed). In a word, no.

View PostCyclonus, on January 08 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

No because it's a part of the mechanic for the ss.

Just because it's the way things are, doesn't mean it's they way it should be. You used to not be able to see your health while scoped / turret mode-ed, but that got changed. Radar, and thus situational awareness, is just about as important as knowing your HP.

Do either of you guys play SS at all_

#19 Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostTwiceDead, on January 08 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Same reason nobody bothers with ejection seat for cars/tanks or pretty much anything that's not combat-aircrafts ;)

Edited by Gaizokubanou, January 08 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#20 Seedling

Seedling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 06:23 AM

Don't give SS radar while scoped... I don't want them to run away when I'm sneaking up on them in my Brawler!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users