HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Map Suggestions:

Art Community Game Forum Project Review

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 AzureShadow

AzureShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on January 23 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

The great pyramids of egypt_

No we can't do that, I would be afraid of squashing my friend's house. Her family is within seeing distance of the pyramids.

#42 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted January 27 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostAzureShadow, on January 26 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostSpliff_Craven, on January 23 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

The great pyramids of egypt_

No we can't do that, I would be afraid of squashing my friend's house. Her family is within seeing distance of the pyramids.

Also don't forget that the game does not take place on earth, however  "real places" can inspire the art direction, and bring some references / likeness. that would be cool for sure.

Posted Image

#43 j3lly90053

j3lly90053

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 05:47 AM

imagine a map inside a massive mettle smelting plant of the hawken universe :)

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 27 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd suggest a mini complex with 2 or more connected hangars within.

That would be something like: Our Garage is under attack... or our installations... or something like that.

I definitely think that this prototype concept for a new map or scenario in Hawken would be quite promising..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted January 27 2013 - 12:10 PM

Here's some unattributed concept art I found that seems fitting:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Blentech_Blender

Blentech_Blender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCentre du Québec

Posted January 29 2013 - 08:39 AM

Just an idea.

Maybe include periodic sand storm on some map. to mess up the visual for time to time.

Visibility would go down and up.

It would create an atmosphere of desolation and randomize the experience for the player.
It's Hawken smoke don't breathe this.

#47 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 09:38 AM

I recently went through the Training simulator... You know it wouldn't be a bad map_
Especially the area where the drones are. Make a Prosk and Sentium base areas like that with a triple wide high bank climbable canyon conduits and you have an excellent map for Siege, Missile and Deathmatches!

You could fight on the top of the canyons or sneak through the valleys below...
Terracing and maybe a cave or waterfall to explore... maybe a cave with a hidden waterfall to connect areas_
The possibilities would be AWESOME!

Apparantly I can't post the images I want here... So here's the links:

http://www.wallpaper...all-605149.jpeg

http://www.natyu.com...nd Canyon 2.jpg

http://www.hsd3.org/...and canyon3.jpg

I hope those images inspire!

Edited by Spliff_Craven, January 29 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#48 Chrunk

Chrunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 11:18 AM

suggestion for the feel of the maps: I personally love the feeling of having to look for the enemy, having more than a couple lanes of approach. I don't suppose it would be possible to create some larger, more empty feeling maps and a game type that emphasizes team-coordination. Of course, the maximum team size would need to be increased, and I'm not sure if that's possible with the Unreal Engine... (never seen a large multiplayer map in UR3 besides in TERA)

I dunno, I just quickly get bored of knowing basically where the enemy is coming from in the current 2-fort style maps. Having it so that I actually feel like I'm fighting a desperate battle with the unknown as my biggest enemy is compelling. with all the stuff crammed into the current maps, It's rather mind-numbing.

#49 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostChrunk, on February 03 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

suggestion for the feel of the maps: I personally love the feeling of having to look for the enemy, having more than a couple lanes of approach. I don't suppose it would be possible to create some larger, more empty feeling maps and a game type that emphasizes team-coordination. Of course, the maximum team size would need to be increased, and I'm not sure if that's possible with the Unreal Engine... (never seen a large multiplayer map in UR3 besides in TERA)

I dunno, I just quickly get bored of knowing basically where the enemy is coming from in the current 2-fort style maps. Having it so that I actually feel like I'm fighting a desperate battle with the unknown as my biggest enemy is compelling. with all the stuff crammed into the current maps, It's rather mind-numbing.
Everyone wants larger maps. That means more places to repair, more places to spawn, more places for sniping, more places for ambushes...everything.

#50 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:30 PM

I suggested this before but a mech graveyard would be such an ambush map, would love it XD

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#51 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 03 2013 - 12:37 PM

The interior of a massive space-borne battleship, with somewhat claustrophobic halls/tunnels connecting larger multi-tiered rooms (engine room, launch bay, storeroom, etc).

Also, some of my favorite levels on other FPS games (HALO, Quake III, etc) involve using portals/teleportation devices, but I'm not sure how you'd implement something like this without taking away from the existing Hawken lore.  Maybe a multi-leveled map with service elevators would be cool...

#52 Centipede

Centipede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, Tx

Posted February 03 2013 - 02:33 PM

I want a map inside a dark cavern below the surface of the gigastructure. It could be naturally lighted by bioluminescent vegetation or minerals. Perhaps it could be a mine for vitrolium or whatever that resource is called. I just like the idea of dark map with lots of tunnels, where gunshots would light up a whole area and echo around.

#53 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted February 03 2013 - 09:17 PM

I see you want stimulation... You want fresh... You want challenging and new...

I have a Soloution!

ANAMORPHIC MAPS!

I personally have never seen them done before. So I put it to you for review.

The following submission is based on a SIEGE model:

Core Concept:
  • Terrain would change locations like a jumble puzzle and remain in position for the duration of that map. Next load of the map the positions change again and again remain fixed... {rinse and repeat}
  • Siege would have 3 AA silos. 2 would release energy and 1 would be the real AA.
  • After each launch and demise of the Battleship, 2 of the silo's would change function at random. Thus resulting in a new AA and 2 "new" energy locations.
  • This constant shifting would make use of the Scout's capabilities to scout the new locations and encourage team play.
  • Snipers would have to find new positions
  • All Mechs in general would be challenged
  • All Mech's would have to work as a team to obtain the new objectives

Addendum:

Subtle changes to the rules for the Anamorphic model would be as follows:
  • Reduce base armor to 1500
  • Launch requirements to 1500 EU
  • Submit: The anamorphic puzzle pieces would use a HEX style Base for terrain slugs {terrain would be modeled on a hex  base for simplicity of random computer generated plug and play maps.}
  • Battleship armor would remain the same integration
  • Base distance remains the same from the enemies base {depending on server size}
  • Maps would be given "optional" ANAMORPHIC tags. {Origin ANA, Bazaar ANA, etc} All the base work is done on a map it is just randomized terrain every time the server is refreshed
  • OPTIONAL: Silo distances could be randomly shifted further apart or closer together pending final polish
Why This Would Work:
  • This asymmetric model would provide constant stimulation and challenge for the players on both sides.
  • Would appeal to long time players looking for more between map releases.
  • New approaches and sniper locations would need to be found every map.
  • Never the same match twice.
  • Boost the collective immersive experience and challenge for all parties.
  • Less steamrolling more communication!
What do you all think of this_

#54 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:16 AM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on February 03 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

ANAMORPHIC MAPS!
  • Terrain would change locations like a jumble puzzle

I like the overall idea and the possibilities it could bring, but i don't know how this would work or look-like, something like a transformers/cybertron map _

What happen to the players during the shift_ are the hex "moving"_ or everybody respawn to their base/garage until the new configuration is loaded_

Nevermind I got it : the map configure itself -before- the match, not during it
The challenge would be to design HEX cells in a way that it won't unbalance a team to another whatever the configuration.

As you said : -Would appeal to long time players looking for more between map releases.-

About this I hope they drop some maps in the next patch
(was the plan right_ 1 mech each month 1 map each 2 month_)

2 maps for Siege make the mode boring fast

Edited by erathic, February 04 2013 - 03:30 AM.

Posted Image

#55 cpl_bradders

cpl_bradders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted February 04 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'd quite like a night/dusk map if it's possible :)

Operation of this mech binds you to the terms outlined in the Life/Death Policy Agreement, Section 2.

You are immediately liable for any and all damage incurred to this mech.

#56 Chrunk

Chrunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostGree, on February 03 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Everyone wants larger maps. That means more places to repair, more places to spawn, more places for sniping, more places for ambushes...everything.
more places for open combat as well. Basically I'm saying I'd like to see a little more strategy be involved other than "let's all sit on this ledge and snipe the fuzzy bunny out of them as they get bottle-necked" or "run at them and push all the buttons"
I've never seen "we need to know where they're coming from first" Even mechwarrior online has this "though currently I'm disappointed in their approach to these maps as well (basically the same problem, I know where they start, and I know where they want to go)"

#57 Chrunk

Chrunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 04:51 PM

View Posttamazomby, on January 20 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on January 18 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

An unreleased scenario I made in 2006..
Posted Image
I think too much wide open space is a bad idea for Hawken because it would turn the game into a non-stop slugfest and you need to have a lot of places for cover imo to repair and just to break up the action somewhat in general.  It would be cool for some maps to have a courtyard area in the center where we can get it on, but I don't want to be constantly engaged.  Also to much flat ground is boring, it should keep the heavy use of the z-axis and multi tiered environments.

I like the gritty theme of Hawken's maps, yet I'd also like to see fun maps like a lunar base or underwater base or whatever.

I don't think that's necessarily the case in large maps, because that's exactly what Hawken's been so far is a non-stop slug fest with squirrely pilots finding ways to retreat for about 10 seconds until somebody like me chases them down to finish the job (quite a bore, really). So far each map has shown at least a fair bit of creativity, but too much is just too much. having some places where a pilot is forced to use an adaptive strategy would be warmly welcomed by many. IE: the team must sometimes move either as a group or in a guerrilla style.

-side note- this may also lead the way for necessety of more extensive mech modification. For example: most Hawken mechs are optimized for close-quarters combat ONLY. The current inability to decide whether I want to be able to boost for noticeably longer periods or bolt down some armor plating leaves the open map option rather awkward. (though this in and of itself may actually prove to make things more interesting) perhaps once the game has been completed, I might find the garage experience to be worthwhile in actual matches.

Edited by Chrunk, February 04 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#58 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:50 PM

On the Anamorphic Map Idea:
All that would be needed by the dev's is a "servercode" and the numbered pieces would be arranged accordingly.
This way nobody needs to waste large bandwidth constantly redownloading maps.
All "Puzzle Pieces" would be part of the game coding.

#59 Teraclips

Teraclips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 09:48 AM

a snowy map, also some kind of dangers on each map like for example if you are fighting in a nuclear silo/launching platform every now and then it woulld activate and you can get killed or kill by the rocket's launch

also a low gravity map/ maybe the moon or whatever that if you jump to high you can end up dead in space or be killed by a random meteor shower
Posted Image

#60 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 06 2013 - 02:17 PM

Due that I felt in love with the Frosty Prosk map released during Operation FrostBurn and then (temporarily_) removed from Hawken...

--> Yes! An snowy map, please! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Community, Game, Forum, Project, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users