HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Make Camera Shake _Mandatory_

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:03 AM

On the up side:  if they did make it mandatory, they could reduce the quality of the graphics because you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway. Accessible to more computers = accessible to more players :D

Hell, just make the shake so much that you can't see anything!  Wait... This puts me in the mood for a pillow fight in the dark...  WHO'S WITH ME!__!!!!_!

#22 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:08 AM

^ Michael J. Fox likes this post.
[Pilot Error]

#23 Hekatonkheires

Hekatonkheires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:26 AM

I remember some people deactivating all the textures on Quake arena (a lot of years ago). Sure they got some advantage on the performance and the fact to play without anny distraction, put the game just looked so bad...

Is really necesary to kill all the immersion just to win a few aditional frags_ That makes me sick.

Mandatory shaking please.

I think hardcore mode is just a different topic, OP should make a new topic about that proposal.

#24 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostHekatonkheires, on February 01 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

I remember some people deactivating all the textures on Quake arena (a lot of years ago). Sure they got some advantage on the performance and the fact to play without anny distraction, put the game just looked so bad...

Is really necesary to kill all the immersion just to win a few aditional frags_ That makes me sick.

Quake already had fullbright models, strafejumping and powerups.... it was hardly immersive
As far as Hawken goes, if we we're going to make something mandatory, why not take the more accessible option that doesn't make people nauseous_ The goal in a F2P title is to be inclusive after all, as you want lots of players around to keep the servers active so the paying players stick around

Edited by Beemann, February 01 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#25 Hekatonkheires

Hekatonkheires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostBeemann, on February 01 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Quake already had fullbright models, strafejumping and powerups.... it was hardly immersive
As far as Hawken goes, if we we're going to make something mandatory, why not take the more accessible option that doesn't make people nauseous_ The goal in a F2P title is to be inclusive after all, as you want lots of players around to keep the servers active so the paying players stick around

Good point.

But I still think that the people getting nauseous just by the camera movement could better make use of a visit to the doctor. Is a common symptom of the Photosensitive epilepsy.

Whathever, what I'm trying to explain, is that pretending to eliminate those effects for inclusion reasons, is the same that if I would demand the game being slowed down, because it feels too cumbersome after a pair of hours of gameplay.

I would like a more tranquil game, but I know that the game is this way because most people like that, so I just deal with it and play the way it has been designed.

I don't think the posibility of sacrificing immersion just to gain an advantage over the other users is positive for the game. For me it is like people sacrificing money for powerups in the game. That kind of things just doesn't feel good. It's prety hard to explain, just an opinion.

#26 Bowmangr

Bowmangr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 04:45 AM

I find it TOTALLY lame that someone would tone down his graphic levels just to be certain that he can get an artificial and out of the scope of the game advantage. It's something like a 16year old geek would do. It's power gaming in its worst form.

I totally get the whole motion sickness thing but the bottom line is that part of this game's allure is the whole piloting giant mechs thing. Having an experience of piloting something that large and cumbersome should be immediately felt by the player. If they give the option to remove all that fancy stuff, then the player is a super-stable and agile Call of Duty soldier dressed in metal. This is so lame.

Those who want to play COD should go play COD. Hawken is about mechs. Mech combat is all about explosions, smoke, debris, sparks and a lot of clutter on the screen for every hit. It's gritty and believable. Turning all these off for some shiny and 100% accurate control scheme completely destroys the immersion and creates a player base of two different types. Those who want a good MECH game and those who want to power game a COD-like game with giant robots.

So mandatory combat effects please. PLEASE. There are so many tricks that they could use to affect aiming in a way that it won't induce motion sickness to people who have that issue that it's not even funny. Plus it also creates a new way to affect gameplay as some weapons could affect aiming more than others.

Right now you either play like a pro player-wannabe with graphic options off or you try to have fun with the whole mech combat effects while get brutally killed by those with "dur dur all options OFF so I can make one more kill than the next guy" types. It sucks all the fun out of the game when those two gamer types meet in the same arena because only one of those types actually has any fun and it makes the game look bad strategy-wise too.

#27 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted February 01 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on January 31 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Should we then also create special modes only for those who use gamepads and specific modes for those who use joysticks_ How about special matches for people who only play on Ultra_

You choose to play at a disadvantage. Nobody forces you to play like that. If you are unwilling to break immersion to be competitive, it is your loss.

Now (as usual) you are resorting to just plain silly arguments. You know full well that "hardcore" game modes are a staple of many FPSs games these days and is nothing unusual or outlandish like your suggestions above.

The guy simply wants to play the game at its maximum graphical and immersive capability without having to sacrifice competitiveness, this fits well into what could be a Hawken hardcore mode without upsetting all the people that enjoy the regular gameplay.

Hawkens graphics, aesthetic design and overall feel to it are big draw cards and people understandably want to fully experience this.

Also if there were a hardcore mode, no one is forcing you to play it. If you're unwilling to break competitiveness for immersion, it's your loss that you miss the point of it being a "game" and winning isn't the be all end all. People that do things like modify settings in AVP so aliens are bright yellow so they can easily be seen or turn their gamma right up in ARMA 2 to see at night are entirely missing the point and are simply too focused on always winning and so miss out on actually just enjoying the game experience. The developers spend a lot of money and put a lot of hard work into creating a world to immerse you in.

View PostMajic12, on February 01 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Yeah, let's make it a realistic mech game by piloting this guy up and down a small set of stairs in an controlled environment.

Seriously, talking about realsim here is untenable. It's about what makes the game feel immersive and not about cold hard facts.
If I die everytime I dodge into a wall, that probably would make things pretty frustrating. Shaking cockpit and HUD_ Can't see fuzzy bunny captain but this surely feels awesome. I'll gladly suck and have a good time rather than having little to no details but pimping my kd to a 4:1 ratio. But that's something that everybody has to decide by themselves. Therefore I also don't like the idea about splitting things up into regular and hardcore modes.

Definitely on the money here, Hawken is not about absolute simulation or realism but having fun while immersing yourself in the experience...part of which is feeling like you're piloting a mech.

View PostBeemann, on February 01 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Hekaton, this what I'm talking about, some people get so focused on winning that they loose perspective about it being a game when most are generally playing for fun. Sure you can get hell competitive but there's a point where it just goes beyond a joke.

Beemann, you make it too inclusive and you'll loose what defines it. Adding a hardcore mode sure isn't going to drive people away, it just diversifies the game modes. BF3 must have 20 or more gamemodes, let alone adding hard core on top of any of them and they have no shortage of players I can tell you now! Hawken has 4 game modes, of which one is broken...

Also I think the OP needs editing as people are still posting for mandatory shaking which wont happen...a hardcore game mode that has a hard coded level of this may get implemented if there's enough interest in the community.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#28 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 05:23 AM

Nope. Still don't support this. If you like to play with a feature you consider a handicap, it's on you... But don't force your preferences on others for flawed reasons. People have different preferences, the way to deal with it doesn't include forcing YOUR ideal feature down the other players throats.

Edited by TwiceDead, February 01 2013 - 05:25 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Owngasm

Owngasm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 05:32 AM

Solution: Make it a server option. Like this "[x] - Forced Camera Shaking" just like how MW4 could force players to use first person perspective. Otherwise, as everyone already mentioned, forcing this on all players could cause health issue and honestly just makes TOWs more OP.
Posted Image

#30 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 01 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostGagzila, on February 01 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on January 31 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Should we then also create special modes only for those who use gamepads and specific modes for those who use joysticks_ How about special matches for people who only play on Ultra_

You choose to play at a disadvantage. Nobody forces you to play like that. If you are unwilling to break immersion to be competitive, it is your loss.

Now (as usual) you are resorting to just plain silly arguments. You know full well that "hardcore" game modes are a staple of many FPSs games these days and is nothing unusual or outlandish like your suggestions above.

The guy simply wants to play the game at its maximum graphical and immersive capability without having to sacrifice competitiveness, this fits well into what could be a Hawken hardcore mode without upsetting all the people that enjoy the regular gameplay.

Hawkens graphics, aesthetic design and overall feel to it are big draw cards and people understandably want to fully experience this.

Also if there were a hardcore mode, no one is forcing you to play it. If you're unwilling to break competitiveness for immersion, it's your loss that you miss the point of it being a "game" and winning isn't the be all end all. People that do things like modify settings in AVP so aliens are bright yellow so they can easily be seen or turn their gamma right up in ARMA 2 to see at night are entirely missing the point and are simply too focused on always winning and so miss out on actually just enjoying the game experience. The developers spend a lot of money and put a lot of hard work into creating a world to immerse you in.
I'm being silly_ I'm not the one resorting strawman arguments, red herrings and ad hominems.

Tell me, how many FPSs out there have hardcore modes based on graphical immersion_

How does making a hardcore mode physically unplayable for some people or exclusive to people only with better hardware "hardcore"_ Do you even understand what a hardcore mode is_ "Hardcore" does not mean it's more immersive or realistic, but only that it is more punishing.

You are ignoring the fact that perhaps people who can't play with the more "immersive" and who are more competitive may want to play a hardcore mode too. They should be excluded from this mode just because they can not physically or mechanically play_
Because you know what makes people miss out on playing and enjoying the game more than lowering their immersion_ Not being able to play the game at all.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#31 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostBowmangr, on February 01 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

I find it TOTALLY lame that someone would tone down his graphic levels just to be certain that he can get an artificial and out of the scope of the game advantage. It's something like a 16year old geek would do. It's power gaming in its worst form.

I totally get the whole motion sickness thing but the bottom line is that part of this game's allure is the whole piloting giant mechs thing. Having an experience of piloting something that large and cumbersome should be immediately felt by the player. If they give the option to remove all that fancy stuff, then the player is a super-stable and agile Call of Duty soldier dressed in metal. This is so lame.

Those who want to play COD should go play COD. Hawken is about mechs. Mech combat is all about explosions, smoke, debris, sparks and a lot of clutter on the screen for every hit. It's gritty and believable. Turning all these off for some shiny and 100% accurate control scheme completely destroys the immersion and creates a player base of two different types. Those who want a good MECH game and those who want to power game a COD-like game with giant robots.

So mandatory combat effects please. PLEASE. There are so many tricks that they could use to affect aiming in a way that it won't induce motion sickness to people who have that issue that it's not even funny. Plus it also creates a new way to affect gameplay as some weapons could affect aiming more than others.

Right now you either play like a pro player-wannabe with graphic options off or you try to have fun with the whole mech combat effects while get brutally killed by those with "dur dur all options OFF so I can make one more kill than the next guy" types. It sucks all the fun out of the game when those two gamer types meet in the same arena because only one of those types actually has any fun and it makes the game look bad strategy-wise too.

The funny thing is, those who adjust their graphics for maximum kills would still be the ones winning every match even with camera shake, smoke, or whatever else you want to throw at them.  Why_  Because they are the ones that know how to adjust to environments (hence the reason they are good in the first place).

Setting your graphics low to get maximum fluidity does not make one a good gamer.

For example:  I come from a fairly fast paced FPS shooter background.  People would call the games I like, "arcadey".  MWLL was my first ever mech game, and based on what others have said who have played the MW series extensively, it's pretty good as far as MW goes.  I quickly became the #1 player on the most populated server.

So people can argue "realism" and "immersion" and all that fuzzy bunny all they want, but the fact is, the good gamers will win, and the bad will lose.  Regardless of playing like a "pro player-wannabe" or not.

#32 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 10:27 AM

I agree with RedVan here. Adjusting your settings accordingly does not make you pro or anything. Between two equally skilled players a match with both different settings would probably end up in favor or the player with the cleaner setup, but in general, I also think the effects are marginal.

Theres so much more to the matter than just what you see through your cockpit like situational awareness, movement, tactics et cetera.
Like he said, "better" players always will end up having the upper hand.
[Pilot Error]

#33 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 01 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostHekatonkheires, on February 01 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Whathever, what I'm trying to explain, is that pretending to eliminate those effects for inclusion reasons, is the same that if I would demand the game being slowed down, because it feels too cumbersome after a pair of hours of gameplay.
Do you feel nauseous or run into other actual medical issues because of the game's speed_ Or are you just asking that they change a major point of balance (movement) to suit your preferences_
Cuz there's a huge difference there. Those examples aren't comparable

View PostHekatonkheires, on February 01 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

I don't think the posibility of sacrificing immersion just to gain an advantage over the other users is positive for the game. For me it is like people sacrificing money for powerups in the game. That kind of things just doesn't feel good. It's prety hard to explain, just an opinion.
Another totally not comparable set of examples. Graphics options are available to everyone, for free
They're there to allow people with slower computers to run at an adequate framerate, as well as to allow the user to customize their experience to an acceptable point. Paid power is something that is locked, by definition, behind a pay gate. If you don't have extra income to spend on a video game, you can't access that content, and it's a much larger advantage than lowered settings

And again, you're ignoring the fact that many people do it because they find the game unplayable otherwise. I turn down the settings until I get a reasonable framerate, and until the visuals don't bug my eyes. Motion Blur and Screen Shake generally go because they bug my eyes, other settings go because they drop my framerate like a rock. I shouldn't have to sacrifice either of those things for any part of the game because some people like to intentionally put themselves at a disadvantage by having them, just like I don't have to play a virus ridden wreck of a computer on a shoddy connection just because there's probably someone out there who does

Hekaton, this what I'm talking about, some people get so focused on winning that they loose perspective about it being a game when most are generally playing for fun. Sure you can get hell competitive but there's a point where it just goes beyond a joke.
I mentioned being competitive where_
My argument was that we should be inclusive

Beemann, you make it too inclusive and you'll loose what defines it. Adding a hardcore mode sure isn't going to drive people away, it just diversifies the game modes. BF3 must have 20 or more gamemodes, let alone adding hard core on top of any of them and they have no shortage of players I can tell you now! Hawken has 4 game modes, of which one is broken...
Okay, and you understand that I'm trying to be inclusive, but then you make weird assertions that have nothing to do with screen shake. BF3 has a large team and a lot of funding. They also have a finished product and can add whatever the hell they like to it. Hawken is a small team that already has to deal with matchmaking, server browsers, new mechs at a constant rate, new maps at a constant rate, fixing siege, adding competitive functions to the game, whatever game modes they already have planned, and whatever extra stuff they have to do for the Project Shield/Tegra/etc. stuff that Hawken is meant to be using on official release

Additionally your example doesn't really hold up. Battlefield's "hardcore" mode is actually a bunch of arbitrary balance changes and a UI swap. It doesn't force motion blur or any of the other eye-irritating settings on its players. Asking the Hawken devs to work on a mode like this just seems.... out of touch, for the reasons I listed above
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#34 Hilljack

Hilljack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:32 PM

I support an optional gameplay mode that forces the immersive graphical elements listed in this thread such as screen shake. As I see it, being optional this mode doesn't exclude anyone as all players would still be able to enjoy the stagnant-motion gameplay with lowered settings as they do now while also catering to players that seek a fair and balanced game in a full motion, gesticulating environment.
PSA: Follow the white arrow, not the red dot.

#35 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostHilljack, on February 01 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I support an optional gameplay mode that forces the immersive graphical elements listed in this thread such as screen shake. As I see it, being optional this mode doesn't exclude anyone as all players would still be able to enjoy the stagnant-motion gameplay with lowered settings as they do now while also catering to players that seek a fair and balanced game in a full motion, gesticulating environment.

The problem with doing this is you risk SPLITTING the community, and that's usually not a good idea unless you have a large enough player base that it doesn't matter.. even then though, it should be avoided.  Think of how many times you'd see an empty server if there were only ONE game mode in Hawken.  Currently with four modes, it can seem kinda empty out there in the Hawken queue at times.  Now, if you add in some hardcore "immersion" mode for all those modes, you have the community potentially split EIGHT ways now.

Be careful of what you wish/ask for.

#36 Gagzila

Gagzila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVIC, Australia

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostTwiceDead, on February 01 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Nope. Still don't support this. If you like to play with a feature you consider a handicap, it's on you... But don't force your preferences on others for flawed reasons. People have different preferences, the way to deal with it doesn't include forcing YOUR ideal feature down the other players throats.

You might want to re-read the OP, he realises that you can't force such a setting on people and simply wants a mode where he can play with these immersive settings on and know it's a level playing field. You could also look at it on the flip side - if Hawken didn't allow you to adjust the camera shake and a minority wanted it removed because it makes them feel ill, you are asking for the same thing...to force your preferences for how the game plays on everyone else. You could simply not play or ask for a server option that allows such people to play without affecting the majority and then everyone is happy.

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 01 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

I'm being silly_ I'm not the one resorting strawman arguments, red herrings and ad hominems.

Tell me, how many FPSs out there have hardcore modes based on graphical immersion_

How does making a hardcore mode physically unplayable for some people or exclusive to people only with better hardware "hardcore"_ Do you even understand what a hardcore mode is_ "Hardcore" does not mean it's more immersive or realistic, but only that it is more punishing.

You are ignoring the fact that perhaps people who can't play with the more "immersive" and who are more competitive may want to play a hardcore mode too. They should be excluded from this mode just because they can not physically or mechanically play_
Because you know what makes people miss out on playing and enjoying the game more than lowering their immersion_ Not being able to play the game at all.

Yes you were being silly.

I never suggested basing the mode solely on graphical immersion but as part of a future hardcore mode. You could say BF3's hardcore mode is partly graphical immersion due to having no HUD which makes you mindfully keep track of your ammo and firing mode as well as relying on your sensory and situational awareness to enemies rather than knowing where they are via a radar. This definitely immerses you much further into the game as it's closer to the experience as if you were there yourself (in this case real world realism but you can have fantasy "realism" as well, there's less between you and the raw game experience). Many people would have varying degrees on what they get out of playing a hardcore mode, but it basically brings you closer to a pure form of the gameplay that isn't watered down for the masses or holding your hand.

I agree that others who are affected medically by these settings should also be able to play any hardcore mode that comes along and so the suggestion of "[x] - Force camera shake" is more appropriate and means you'll only have a handful of servers catering to these people which hardly "splits" up the community as some people seem to think it would be the end of Hawken.

Also I am not suggesting the option also include a minimum graphical requirement as that is simply unfair and beside the point that the option is for people wanting that extra immersive experience without having to in turn make themselves an easy target.

View PostBeemann, on February 01 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I mentioned being competitive where_
My argument was that we should be inclusive

My response you replied to above was actually directly in response to Hekaton, not yourself.

View PostBeemann, on February 01 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Okay, and you understand that I'm trying to be inclusive, but then you make weird assertions that have nothing to do with screen shake. BF3 has a large team and a lot of funding. They also have a finished product and can add whatever the hell they like to it. Hawken is a small team that already has to deal with matchmaking, server browsers, new mechs at a constant rate, new maps at a constant rate, fixing siege, adding competitive functions to the game, whatever game modes they already have planned, and whatever extra stuff they have to do for the Project Shield/Tegra/etc. stuff that Hawken is meant to be using on official release

Additionally your example doesn't really hold up. Battlefield's "hardcore" mode is actually a bunch of arbitrary balance changes and a UI swap. It doesn't force motion blur or any of the other eye-irritating settings on its players. Asking the Hawken devs to work on a mode like this just seems.... out of touch, for the reasons I listed above

Agreed that BF3 is much larger than Hawken, I think a hardcore mode should come in further down the track. I don't see it being a problem to allow a server option for forced screen shake which is the same as rFactor have an option for forced camera views so that you know you're on a level playing field and can enjoy the game in the viewing fashion you want to.

BF3's hardcore mode has parrallels in that removing the normal HUD / UI brings you closer to the raw experience the game is trying to recreate for you. Playing a mech game, you want to feel like you are piloting it, part of which is enhanced by the screen shake and cockpit lag, simulating the experience.

It's a rather simple request really, one that I can see the merit in and find it funny that some people would argue against so much when they need not even trouble themselves with it since it would be optional and actually in favour of maximising the Hawken experience for those not medically affected.

Cheers,

Gagzila
Posted Image

#37 Calaban619

Calaban619

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:49 PM

What the power gamers do is:
"-ok, download and install the game.
- Before launching a battle, go to game options
- Turn OFF this, this and this default setting.
- Now its easier to play!"

... that does NOT sound like "optimizing". That sounds like "dumbing down the interface for an advantage"

If the gamer kiddies of this generation need that to feel better, then they can still have that, just give me a HardCore option, so the kiddies can all be left at the kiddie table. With their dumbed down game.

If that sounds elitist, then I'm guilty of aspiring to be more elite. not in a stat way, but in a meaningful way.

#38 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 01 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostGagzila, on February 01 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

BF3's hardcore mode has parrallels in that removing the normal HUD / UI brings you closer to the raw experience the game is trying to recreate for you. Playing a mech game, you want to feel like you are piloting it, part of which is enhanced by the screen shake and cockpit lag, simulating the experience.

It's a rather simple request really, one that I can see the merit in and find it funny that some people would argue against so much when they need not even trouble themselves with it since it would be optional and actually in favour of maximising the Hawken experience for those not medically affected.
Actually the immersive parallel in this case would be forcing the cockpit HUD, which already happens. Screen shake is parallel to.. well... screen shake, and motion blur too to a degree
Both of those are toggleable options in just about any competent game, because they're frustrating to deal with and don't add any real depth to the game
And again, wasting time on a game mode that specifically shuts people out based on what are essentially health concerns is silly
Taking the time to implement said hardcore mode could be better spent creating a mode that everyone can play or in some way benefit from

View PostCalaban619, on February 01 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

... that does NOT sound like "optimizing". That sounds like "dumbing down the interface for an advantage"

If the gamer kiddies of this generation need that to feel better, then they can still have that, just give me a HardCore option, so the kiddies can all be left at the kiddie table. With their dumbed down game.

If that sounds elitist, then I'm guilty of aspiring to be more elite. not in a stat way, but in a meaningful way.
"People don't like the things I like, and that makes me better than them"
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#39 cougurt

cougurt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 07:03 PM

well aren't you just the coolest guy around

#40 NBShoot_me

NBShoot_me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 04:55 PM

... . . one sec.. just... hold on for a sec... elite_. .. ..  pffftt.. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!  MY SIDES! TEH HURT!

Holy cow!  I need to save this one to HD!  This is priceless!  OK, too many problems to really go into depth here, but.. LMAO.

You really need to understand the difference between switching from default settings and outright stripping the game down.  If the devs are kind enough to make a video (and gameplay) settings window, and to even throw in the ability to manually disable certain effects (once the advanced settings are working again), I don't see what all the drama is about.  This isn't cheating, this isn't making the game THAT much easier, it's people switching off special effects that really don't do anything for them and actually lessen THEIR ability to enjoy Hawken.   This isn't people stripping out the world textures, hooking in an aimbot, or breaking outside the realms of what the devs apparently intended for us to change.

YOU obviously like having your screen look like someone smeared Crisco all over it, messed with your brightness and contrast settings while shaking your monitor violently about and screaming "BOOM" in your ear.  If you like playing that way and aren't getting slaughtered, pat yourself on the back, fight on, feel good that you can play Hawken with some of the more annoying settings on and are doing better than someone who by chance might have said options toned down or switched off.  Just ignore the fact that most people probably don't care and that it really doesn't make that HUGE of a difference.  Also, DEFAULT settings are generally set base upon performance factors of the PC said game is running on, if someone is playing on a PC that struggles with Hawken, you shouldn't force them to play a slideshow version of Hawken just to play a given mode... remember, a hardcore mode means EVERYTHING MUST BE ON, everyone MUST HAVE ALL THE SAME SETTINGS... well, maybe with the exception of volume levels.. screen resolution, key mappings... wait, no, EVERYTHING!!! :P

Heck, I used to play with nearly all the special effects turned on till film grain was forced on me above a setting of low (advanced settings broke/removed, don't feel like editing config files..), didn't make a huge difference on playability for me.  Camera shake and all that, meh, not a HUGE problem, just annoying, motion blur was ok, but only made the game look cool.

Now quit falling into your "insecure kid who places his self worth into his kill/death ratio stats fluffing up the place." description and game on, or don't.  This suggestion would... SPLIT THE COMMUNITY FURTHER and right NOW, that would be a BAD idea.  Maybe when you have at least a few thousand people running around in Hawken at the absolute least (and I'm talking concurrent number of players here), something like this could be done, but you're opening up the flood gates for people to find ways to abuse a "Hardcore" mode... because remember, this is something that your PC has to report to the game server, NOT something that's server side only.

Aspiring to be elite.. yeah.. Posted Image , elite, LMAO...

Edited by NBShoot_me, February 02 2013 - 05:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users