HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Request] On Team players..

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the idea_ (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the idea_

1. Yes (39 votes [81.25%])

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

2. No (9 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 27 2012 - 12:45 PM

This is a quite simple request/suggestion for the devs:

If we have a total of 16 or 12 players per match, could you arrange players by slot number and placing that number before any player's callsign into the game, please_

This would speed up COMMs between players. No matter if these players are in the lobby or in the game; or if players are typing text into a chat window or just team speaking..

If you're not a dev then you obviously may discuss on this too. I've cooked up a poll as well; so go it! :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted August 29 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'm not really sure what you are requesting here.
Do you mean that upon joining a game, players get assigned a number (based on the order they joined) and that is used as the unique key for sorting the scoreboard_
Or do you mean that every player that logs in to the game gets a unique number attached to them- and only them- so that no matter what game they join, their place on the scoreboard is determined by that number_

Why not points earned during the round ordered descending down the scoreboard, so that the player with the most points is on the top regardless of their name or what slot on the server they occupy.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 29 2012 - 12:43 PM

Sure,
the idea would be having 1. The_Silencer in the game rather than only the player's callsign. You know, that little label hovering on the player's mech...
From a communication standpoint and also tactically this would be good idea due that you could refer to me as just 1 during the game. In other words, this would speed up things. Not to mention players using special characters; thing which I'd personally would not allow in this game.

Anyways.. For example:

"1,3 and 5, attack the heavy".
"Kill 2!"
Et cetera ...

Yes_

P.S. This could work well for the radar as well; for those mechas which you have already scanned or recognized by visual contact (at close/medium range_). The number of the radar's dot might be reseted once the pilot shuts down his mech though. Just an idea.. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 05:07 AM

Ooh right, I see what you mean now.

Eh, I like it, but I sometimes forget what team I'm on, let alone what number I get assigned in each game I join.

That aside, I can tell you now that almost nobody will really use it.
Pub games of all kinds are notorious for lacking any real player communication, and even when there is some, its either rage/insults or simply ignored 99% of the time.
Also, what clan doesn't use some kind of voice program_ Why would they have any need to call each other by numbers_ I'm 100% sure they will just use each others names.

So, in the end I think it is not worth the effort of putting it in, due to the lack of use it will actually get.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#5 FatnSassy

FatnSassy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 09:32 AM

i like it, the idea it self is pretty good. but as the previous poster said, not a lot of people would use it, or recognize "3 get the heavy!" as "Brevillance get the heavy!" most people wouldnt recognize that "3" was them, because they wouldnt pay attention, only players of like minds, such as myself and you silence, and possibly Nitris would pay attention and know what # they were assigned. Also, as Nitris said, most guilds would just say "Bill, Zack and Ryan, go get control point 3" because thats what they are used to, while saying number instead would be faster.

Overall, i think while it would be a good idea, and nice to impliment without much work, truthfully i find that the lack of coordination in pub matches (without guildies or clan members) is usually minimal, or not at all.

However, in the end i voted yes, i would like to see it, i always give hope to communities to come together and play as a team, wether i believe they will or not, and having a faster and easier way of talking to randoms would be much better then calling out "Nitris, The_Silencer and Brevillance go secure C" because in this game typing that long could get you killed. So We shall see what others think, good idea though!
3-5-12 -> Enlisted to Fight
8-13-12 -> Joined Forums
12-12-12 -> Playing Hawken_

#6 Gruber

Gruber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted August 31 2012 - 11:04 AM

The_Silencer said:

Sure,
the idea would be having 1. The_Silencer in the game rather than only the player's callsign. You know, that little label hovering on the player's mech...
From a communication standpoint and also tactically this would be good idea due that you could refer to me as just 1 during the game. In other words, this would speed up things. Not to mention players using special characters; thing which I'd personally would not allow in this game.

Anyways.. For example:

"1,3 and 5, attack the heavy".
"Kill 2!"
Et cetera ...

Yes_

P.S. This could work well for the radar as well; for those mechas which you have already scanned or recognized by visual contact (at close/medium range_). The number of the radar's dot might be reseted once the pilot shuts down his mech though. Just an idea.. :)

Loved it. +1

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 31 2012 - 02:11 PM

Cool, ty :)

Would be as easy as to add just a number to the player's callsign (or name). You could see your team player number on the HUD (as well as you might see other player names and their numbers). And also you could check this data via, for example, pressing TAB and viewing player number plus stats, et cetera.

This could even be extended via standard mesages which you might send to certain player. I think that would be a good improvement from a tactical standpoint. Maybe certain users would not use this but I'm sure on that at the end they would use it at certain extent..

Maybe this could be reinforced via some subtle wave-sound in the moment someone sends you a message. Or a blinking icon. You could always disable this via settings if it annoys you somehow. Nevertheless I've always liked the concept of, at least, one team leader for an squad. The whole thing is to improve communications between the team members during the fight.

I'm not sure on whether spawn points on levels are going to be arranged in some kind of formation for certain game modes or not. But if that would be the case then to have numbered slots in the game lobby (if any..) would be a good thing too. For example, heavy in the middle, medium mechs around the heavy and light wherever else.

If you have any related idea on in-game team communications then, please, post it on here ;)

Edited by The_Silencer, November 12 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#8 FirstSgtDan

FirstSgtDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, SP - Brazil

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:43 PM

I like the idea but I have a cliché suggestion... Why not use phonetic alphabet instead_
Posted Image

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 11 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well.. why not_

Another example:
Iif I'd type  "1: 2 C mechs in the middle..", assuming that I want to adress this to player 1 in my team and who is piloting an sniper, then the "1:" chunk would adress and display the message to him only.

Edited by The_Silencer, October 11 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Posted Image

#10 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted December 24 2012 - 05:37 PM

I like it! There's like a Player Identification code thingy in Halo MP that's similar (just throwing that as an idea)

But I like being personal and calling peeps out by their names, lol. Would be good if they got ingame voice player identification working already XD
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 24 2012 - 06:36 PM

Following the lines of my prior-pre-alpha suggestion I made, by typing  ->
1: (your text here)
the associated pilot's nickname would be displayed in the chat window and game' screen plus the message you typed.

Posted Image

#12 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 24 2012 - 08:08 PM

I voted no because I don't want to call people out by a number... a number they might not even realize they have. I rather use their name, as it is a nicer way to game. I don't want to remember that player #3 did an awesome job of covering my butt. I want to remember that it was <insert player name here>. This is how I make friends...

Just seems like pure laziness to call someone a number. Learn their freaken names or just call them "Hey you... yeah the one stuck on the wall".

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:36 AM

You don't get it, I'm afraid.

A numer which could be shown on the scorboard window. A number which you may type in the chat window but displays the nickname of the pilot in the public or team chat window and in the game' screen.

I do understand your point though. However, if you want to be friend of some pilot then just add it to your friends list. On the other hand, there're players running by certain alias or nicknames which are difficult to remember or which also maybe are too long or well contain certain characters which can confuse you somehow at the time of typing these in the chat window. Just to mention some few cases.

Anyways, if the devs do implement this concept and you don't like it then just don't use it. The player-label numbers thing would work localy at yoiur client side. If the player number would not exist or would go with some typo (for instance 99: , 5 :: , et cetera) then no pilot nickname would be displayed..

Take it easy, dude. :)

Posted Image

#14 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostAkrium, on December 24 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

-snip-

It presents a choice, its not forcing you to call people by numbers only since it could still display names, you can still call people by names if it works for you, but other players that perceive this method as being more organised/easy to use can also choose to use numbers. It doesn't mean everyone will suddenly start calling people numbers unless its easy and valuable to do so in which case, whats the issue_ It is simply a tool to make communication easier at a time where time isnt on your side, after the game people can recognize those player names for whom they really are anyway.

From a different perspective would this have been an issue if it were the case between choosing our real names and a made up alias like Akrium, The_Silencer or Woobins_ Its simply presenting more options to be more efficient in communication.

(voted yes)

Edited by Woobins, December 26 2012 - 05:58 AM.

THREADS -{  Who wins_ -//- Alternative EMP -//- Hawken OST_ }

Posted Image

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostWoobins, on December 26 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

View PostAkrium, on December 24 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

-snip-

It presents a choice, its not forcing you to call people by numbers only since it could still display names, you can still call people by names if it works for you, but other players that perceive this method as being more organised/easy to use can also choose to use numbers. It doesn't mean everyone will suddenly start calling people numbers unless its easy and valuable to do so in which case, whats the issue_ It is simply a tool to make communication easier at a time where time isnt on your side, after the game people can recognize those player names for whom they really are anyway.

From a different perspective would this have been an issue if it were the case between choosing our real names and a made up alias like Akrium, The_Silencer or Woobins_ Its simply presenting more options to be more efficient in communication.

(voted yes)

IIRC, we have received word from the devs on that is going to be possible for us to freely change our nicknames in the games.
Still, that would not imply any problem into all this. Due that, and according to this functionality we're discussing about in here, what would be shown in the game should be your current alias ( in real time). -If am I understanding your point well enough.

Posted Image

#16 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:14 AM

Yep.

A number that sits next to your name would be a random number given to allow teammates to call you by this 'tag'. Your actual alias would still be displayed however in any other context, it is just a tag for teamwork. (as I understand from what you were saying in your OP)

ie;

1. The_Silencer
2. Akrium
3. Woobins

or

AJ2. The_Silencer
WF1. Akrium
TC3. Woobins

(and where roleplayers are concerned the latter preset would contain all the RATEL phonetics they desire ie alpha juliet/whiskey foxtrot/tango charlie or w/e)

But lets say someone got killed, it would just display their alias, or if I hit tab and looked at the opponents player lineup, it would only display their alias, it may be better to have it just as a unique/team specific thing.

Edited by Woobins, December 26 2012 - 06:19 AM.

Posted Image

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:41 AM

I don't see what your point is with those secondary alias, I'm afraid.

For example, pilot roles may oftenly vary during a team match. I can start the match piloting an Scout. But as the match progresses I may pick up any other chassis, dynamically adapting to whatever may be happening in the battlefield at certain moment. For instance, I may pilot 3 different chassis during a match sometimes. Others I won't though.

Could you ellaborate, please_

Posted Image

#18 Woobins

Woobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ah sorry;

Whether its 1 or AJ1 it doesnt matter, i interpreted your suggestion as this would just be a randomly (or fixed, depending on mech selection as you mention) generated tag set next to a player on the team scoreboard, I was only calling it AJ1 or something since someone mentioned earlier it could involve RATEL phonetics for those into the roleplay element, it would have no other function different from 1 or vise versa.

ie on the scoreboard if you pick up a scout and your number given is 3 at the start of a team game;

SC3.

if you pick up a sharpshooter

SS3.

pick up a berserker

BZ3.

But then the issue with that is if you want team 'leaders' commanding people, these names changing as pilots change their mechs might just be more annoying than it is helpful. So I had originally thought you may have meant to just have it as a static name tag rather than a dynamically changing name tag depending on mech selection.

Edited by Woobins, December 26 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

#19 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:01 AM

Well that would be an extension for the original approach on text communications between your team mates (or even with your opponents in DM games).

Nevertheless, the main goal of this sub-system would basically be to speed up as well as making communications more personalized.

The idea of having different strategical/tactical roles for each of your team mates if very appealing though. :)  +1

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users