HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hybrid Physx

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostLa_Parca, on June 20 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Mea culpa, I did not realize my Evga Gtx 460 sc 768mb was an amd gpu. Now I realize why they block physx on it. o_O

I wasn't trying to say that your GPU (which is an Nvidia chipset) was an AMD device. I wasn't quite directly responding to you alone, but sort of the thread in general.

However, Nvidia's first interest is selling their chipsets. Keeping PhysX working first and best on Nvidia GPUs benefits Nvidia. Making PhysX work better when pairing an Nvidia GPU and a CPU means the demand for more powerful Nvidia chipsets is reduced.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#22 La_Parca

La_Parca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:45 PM

I understand your statement but I believe it's wrong as you worded it or untrue. If you think about it, they Don't want you to purchase a Cheaper nvidia gpu to extend the life of your config if your having performance issues with physx, they force you to either sli(hopefully 2xgpu of current card is enough) or upgrade to their flagship(titan/680/780etc.) The closest analogy I can think of: Lets say you like burgerknights(don't want to advert, not sure of rules, also hungry lol)  flopper but don't care for their fries(amd app) much, on the other hand you very much like bobinthecube twisty fries(cuda) but don't care for the largebob and you heard their ranch is pretty tasty(physx) but only when you use it on twisty fries(fair enough). At both locations you can only purchase combos(gpus,bear with me), so you purchase a combo at burgerknights(amd) and take it to bobinthecube(nvidia) and order another combo, sit down and prepare to pour ranch all over your twisty fries only to get interrupted by the owner, " I'm Not sorry sir, but you may not enjoy Either our twisty fries or ranch so long as you don't give/throw/sell your combo from burgerknights away". I would never eat there(bobinthecube) again, it just doesn't make sense, he should've said "Sir, your flavor experience might be compromised in the pressence of That other combo. As so, we cannot guarantee(support) a tasty meal". Lets say you want extra ranch(higher physx level) " Again, Not sorry sir, but you must purchase a combo of equal or greater value to qualify for extra ranch". I hope that made even a little sense, lol.

Weirdness aside, I would understand(not really, lol) your stance if you worked for nvidia, but as a fellow consumer you should not be defending nvidias backwards policies against hybrid physx, especially if it's not affecting you in any way besides a mild annoyance from forum posts such as this one from cry manbabies such as myself lol. No support_ fine, not everyone is going to go out and purchase a gpu from both companies for one pc(only an enthusiast/gamer_ average joe_ not really). As far as their interest goes, they obviously rather lose a customer than gain one that will only be purchasing midrange cards everytime physx leaps(higher perf. req.) are made.

Edit: I apologize, this isn't directed to you personally(Elix) but to everyone who says "just buy and use an nvidia card ONLY", "CHOOSE a side", "This" isn't war!(literally) I really do like both sides(not so much lately), why do I have to jump through hoops to support BOTH companies_

Edited by La_Parca, June 20 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#23 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:34 PM

Please read for yourself:
http://us.download.n...lease-notes.pdf
Page 8

NVIDIA PhysX System Software
This driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v9.12.1031.
This version fixes a bug that caused some applications, including Unreal Tournament
III, Trine, and Metro 2033, not to launch.
NVIDIA GPU PhysX acceleration is available only on systems with GeForce 8-series
and later GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory.
NVIDIA GPU PhysX acceleration is not available if there is a non-NVIDIA graphics
processor in the system, even if it is not used for rendering.

Also, http://hothardware.c...zations/_page=1
has some interesting information, though its a bit old.

Edited by SS396, June 20 2013 - 10:43 PM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#24 La_Parca

La_Parca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 11:40 PM

Uhm, yeah, that's all info I've been stating. I'm not arguing whether or not it's possible(as it's clearly possible, I run bl2 with high physx) rather why they deem it necessary to actively block it's use on dual-brand gpu systems. So, maybe read the whole thread for yourself_ But thanks none the less.

#25 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted June 21 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's like Nvidia wants to stay the dominant, profitable graphics chipset maker or something.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#26 La_Parca

La_Parca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 07:25 PM

Once again, I apologize. I'm really not seing how that makes sense if they're actively driving customers(albeit, small % that use hybrid) away. Really though, I'm done here, but thank you guys for responding to/because of my posts. One last thing, you do know you CAN be a fanboy(not directed at anyone in particular) for both camps at the same time right_ And with that, I bid you adieu Hawken.

#27 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted August 02 2013 - 04:08 PM

This thread needs more attention.  physxdevice and physxcore

What benefit is there to checking these PhysX files and verifying them server-side_
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#28 minsterkermy

minsterkermy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 07:56 PM

so, figured i'd just jump in here and clean all this business up.

hybrid physx USED to work with hawken BEFORE the major update that included the large physx related enhancements (i cant remember what build # or whatever and it was a while back). Yes, hybrid physx worked JUST FINE using the typical methods of moving the physx related files around etc, just like you do with other hybrid physx games like batman, borderlands 2, etc.. and no, it wasn't CPU bound like some of you speculate.. load was on both GPU, you could see it while graphing during gameplay and also see the fancy effects.

Now, when they did that major update (when they finally enabled the really neat energy absorption effect and mech explosions) they HARDCODED specific file versions and revision numbers for said physx dll's INSIDE the hawken executable, thus effectively breaking hybrid setups for good. now, i can't say i'm surprised as Hawken did get some major help from nVidia related to physx and its programming, and nvidia was really pushing it.. so yea, they crippled hybrid systems on purpose but i digress...

sucks_ yes. does it make me wanna buy just nvidia_ no. and honestly i dont even play this game anymore because of it. sorry to post and run but whatever... there was alot of uhm.. misleading going on in this thread and i felt compelled to share my experiences. so, yea.

#29 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 17 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postminsterkermy, on August 17 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

snip
So yeah, whatever.

none of this is going to matter once the new patch comes out at the end of the month.  Hardware on both sides saw a major improvement in internal testing.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#30 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted September 16 2013 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone tried the Hybrid setup with this new build_  I'm considering trying it out when I get home.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#31 tObiW4nkenObi

tObiW4nkenObi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCologne City

Posted December 22 2013 - 12:40 PM

back in thread :)

i upgraded my complete system last half year and till 3 days, my hybrid physx runs smooth again.
but not in hawken ^^ something seems to be very different, to the situation 4 month ago.

situation:
athlon ii x2 @ 2x3,8ghz
6gb ddr2
hd 5670
gt 8800

hybrid physx rocks on gpu in hawken.
but my cpu was outdated.

Now:
phenom ii x6 @6x3,5
10 gb ddr3
hd 7790 oc
gt 8800

physx on gpu seems to be impossible in hawken^^
what happend _

fluidmark shows gpu activity, JX3Bench too. GPU Physx active.
In Hawkens graphic options menu, i can simply click on Physx level 2 nvidia gpu needed.
But ingame, there is no gpu activity on my geforce. Tried 4 different driver/physx combinations.

i need Support to get this dam n great effect back :)

groovin greetings,
tObi

edit cause i got information from hawken support:

hybrid physx should work, but they made few physx changes that could make it difficult, activating gpu physx when ati card is present. No more detailed information available from support.

i downloaded the matching version of physx-SDK and compared the files on my own.
PhysxCore-File is definitly different from original file out of the Nvidia-SDK. The one into hawken directory, is little bigger than original one. Seems they inserted some code there on nvidia side to optimize hawken. And u Have to remove it to get hybrid doing its work. The game doesn´t start if u remove it, or if u change it against the original file from the SDK. (Matching fileversion!)

why is hawken the only Physx 2.8 game, i can´t make it to run on Gpu _

Edited by tObiW4nkenObi, January 10 2014 - 01:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users