HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Cockpit: Competitive Talks with [HWK]Hugs

Announcement Community Event Exclusive Interview Video

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 superbank

superbank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 14 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

View PostWarPig, on February 14 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

When it happens again , I would ask to be directly included so I can handle setting up audio and other things to help it become a little more produced and easier for ppl to get Questions out and heard. Overall for what it is Good job guys/gals.
Hugs proposed we should try doing this again after the next patch. I would be happy to work with you to produce a better quality cast. Kjell was kind enough to throw all that together like a half hour before we started, so it was a bit haphazard.

Ah, no wonder. There did seem to be a lack of preparedness.Good job guys for putting it together so quickly though. Some things to make the next talk more fluid.

1. Make sure everyone has their audio stuff setup right. The bit with space_ was kinda funny but Hugs always came back with "I can't hear you" and that's just wasting time.

2. Have a designated Host. About a quarter or half way through Hugs started turning into the host to keep the conversation going. You're hosting her so definitely be prepared for her. There was a lot of dead air. The Host will have a list of questions and topics to keep the conversation going as well as change the topic if things are going nowhere/getting too heated.

3. Have some pre-recording banter to ease everyone's nerves/make the conversation flow better. There were two distinct halves to the talk: Before Hugs left and after. Before, everyone was sort of awkward, the pace much slower. After Hugs left things immediately turned for the better. Everyone was talking fluidly about the game, discussing, features, modes, and tactics. When Hugs came back this mood carried over into the rest of the talk. Now, maybe it was just space_'s amazing charisma once he got his mic working, but I think it had more to do with the heated game talk that occurred when you guys felt you could talk more naturally. Your tip in the beginning to not talk over each other was also good suggestion.

4. Have some pre-agreed upon talking points. Some of the questions you guys answered in place of Hugs! She doesn't really need to be there if you guys can answer your own questions.

5. Do something about the video feed. I dunno what was going on with the program you were using. It was kinda funny watching the names switch to the wrong picture and the end user putting them back in the right place but that's not what you want.

I look forward to the next dev talk! Major props to everyone involved!

#42 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 14 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postsuperbank, on February 14 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

1. Make sure everyone has their audio stuff setup right. The bit with space_ was kinda funny but Hugs always came back with "I can't hear you" and that's just wasting time.

2. Have a designated Host. About a quarter or half way through Hugs started turning into the host to keep the conversation going. You're hosting her so definitely be prepared for her. There was a lot of dead air. The Host will have a list of questions and topics to keep the conversation going as well as change the topic if things are going nowhere/getting too heated.

3. Have some pre-recording banter to ease everyone's nerves/make the conversation flow better. There were two distinct halves to the talk: Before Hugs left and after. Before, everyone was sort of awkward, the pace much slower. After Hugs left things immediately turned for the better. Everyone was talking fluidly about the game, discussing, features, modes, and tactics. When Hugs came back this mood carried over into the rest of the talk. Now, maybe it was just space_'s amazing charisma once he got his mic working, but I think it had more to do with the heated game talk that occurred when you guys felt you could talk more naturally. Your tip in the beginning to not talk over each other was also good suggestion.

4. Have some pre-agreed upon talking points. Some of the questions you guys answered in place of Hugs! She doesn't really need to be there if you guys can answer your own questions.

5. Do something about the video feed. I dunno what was going on with the program you were using. It was kinda funny watching the names switch to the wrong picture and the end user putting them back in the right place but that's not what you want.

I look forward to the next dev talk! Major props to everyone involved!
1. Yeah. This was a bit of a problem, and why I told people to make sure they joined our Mumble before the day of the talk, so all that could get sorted. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and there were a few people who joined partway through for the first time. I think next time, it will be required that people show up to set up your audio beforehand if they want to participate. I'm also thinking about being more strict that people show up on time, but that's less of a problem.

2. & 4. I was technically the host, but I'm not the best suited person for that activity if I'm to be honest. I did actually put together a list of topics beforehand, and shared them with everyone involved (Hugs was silly and started to actually answer them on the document itself!). The awkward gaps were because I was trying to let people say everything they wanted to say.

3. That's another reason I wanted to get people in the Mumble before the day of the talks. I do like the idea of pre-talk banter, and which actually did have a bit going, but I somehow managed to kill the chemistry when we started to stream.

5. That the part where Kjell did his best to throw something together in the half hour beforehand. And I think I forgot to give him some of the names of people who were participating. I don't see this being as much of a problem if we're not doing it on the fly next time. I think it would also help if I had people introduce themselves, so the audience could possibly connect voices with names.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Community, Event, Exclusive, Interview, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users