HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Weapon Art - Work In Progress

Art Fanart Project Video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hey guys I have been a fan of this game since I picked it up back in December! So this is one of my contribution to this community! I have built a 3D model of a weapon (yet to have a name) on Maya, hope you guys will like it!

Started with ...
Posted Image
Then...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I added a blade for melee combat
Posted Image

Added a metal patch to make it looked more raw
Posted Image
This is what I have so far, texture as well as details will be added and new work in progress picture will be posted. Yes I draw inspiration from the portal gun, but wait until you hear about what this baby could do!

This gun is designed to turn to 3 different modes for multiple combat situations.
  • Laser mode. What kind of future weaponry does not have a laser gun_ High accuracy energy beam will cut your enemy into pieces.

• Cannon mode. Charged shots, great AoE as well as damage, very slow moving energy charge.

• Melee mode. I know some have been asking for melee weapons, and now here it is! See those sharp pins at the end of the weapon_ Yeah they will be straighten out and thrusted into your enemy's metal during your attack! However, I am not sure if I will keep the pins, since it makes it look awfully like a portal gun (not that they aren't cool, just want to be semi-original).
These are just brief descriptions of this bad boy. An animation video will be posted later of what it might looks like during gear change and when the weapon is active!

If you like this idea, please like it and nag the devs to make this baby fully functional in game!

P.S. If you have any suggestions of what to name this weapon, please let me know! Also, sorry about the low quality pics.

Thanks for reading!

Climatic

Edited by Climatic, February 24 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 02:53 AM

Currently it feels just like you just copied the portal gun from memory and left out the details. You need to put way more work into the geometry before starting to texture it. Look at the weapons in the game, there's so much going on. There's wires, ridges and creases and all sorts of tiny details going on. You basically have two spheres, a tube along the contour and a ring of trapeze-shaped thingies around it, which is not really much. Really, you need to focus on modeling out all these details before you can even think of starting to texture it.

Portal gun perhaps isn't the best of templates after all, style wise. It's too clean and slick to fit within the Hawken universe.
Think Gravity Gun, or District 9 something more rugged and raw. They're building the mechs to function from scrapped parts, pilots probably don't think much of making it look nice. You need to keep that in mind when coming up with your designs.

Just keep on going.
[Pilot Error]

#3 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the constructive feedbacks! I wasn't aiming for the texture of the potal gun and I do agree that there are still a lot of other details that needs to be added to this, probably tens or even hundreds of other polygons and nurbs needed to be included to make this look like the real deal.

#4 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 22 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, it's a fuckton of work. But as always, if you're pulling though, you'll greatly benefit from the expereince.
Keep this updated if you have something new to show.
[Pilot Error]

#5 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 23 2013 - 08:53 AM

Is that a portal gun_

Posted Image

#6 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 23 2013 - 10:29 AM

Good start.

A piece of advice though: NURBS aren't really relevant anymore, you should be poly modeling.  Maya has a great system for LODs with poly modeling as well.

Keep it up, practice makes perfect!
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#7 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 01:33 PM

Everything on screen are poly models. I just curved them

#8 DoctorSprocket

DoctorSprocket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:13 PM

Fix your normals. Anything close to a 90 degree edge should be a hard normal.

Also the geometry I see selected in one of the pictures appears to be a little too high poly for a game model. Too many tris aren't such a problem today but it's unnecessary.

Don't listen to Majic all the plating and creases that sit on top of the geometry are achieved by normal maps. I'd suggest when you get onto texturing you do a high to low poly bake so you can have things like plating on the gun or whatever should be on there. Yes you do need to model more but only for the sake of baking the normals onto the low poly model so you don't have to make the high-poly efficient you're not going to use it..

EDIT (my computer restarted):

The frame inside the blade can just be don't with a texture.

You seem to be starting off but it's great that you're enthusiastic. If you wanted to get into game Dev I'm sure you'd go places with enough determination to learn.

I'd suggest taking a course if you're not already doing one. Also I highly suggest you watch some of the free Maya tutorials on the Gnomon workshop. Any 3d artist will attest to this site.

Finally I recommend downloading UDK, it's free and you can show off a closer image to how it will look in game. That is unless you can replicate the shaders in which case it'll be exact. You can learn shaders fairly quickly just by learning what a few nodes do.

Edited by DoctorSprocket, February 24 2013 - 05:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Fanart, Project, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users