HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Serious Case for an (OPTIONAL) third person view

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 spook420

spook420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postwat, on March 02 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

wow, relax friends

If anything -

- replay viewer that lets me find moments for screenshots
- in game spectator mode that lets us view from 1st person, 3rd with rotating camera, and free-roam camera

Here are some examples of what I am suggesting -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Perhaps if unranked / free play servers become available one day, it can be an option in only those servers.

I understand that the game needs to be competetive, so some kind of third person ala Skyrim where the camera floats high above and gives a wide view of things would break things like surprises around corners, etc.  But a tight enough view would be a close approximation of first person anyway - and would not be that much different in terms of visibility.  

Even if you guys feel strongly that it would hurt balance, can you at least admit that the game is beautiful and that the reason a lot of people play games is to enjoy the scenery and the art_  Couldn't we think of ways to satisfy that need without sticking to dogma like "You can stare at your mech in the garage and leave the admiring in gameplay to you enemies while you take them down."_

I would like to have this. its very possible you know, Gears of War was build on the Unreal Engine. its just a matter of coding of some sort. i believe some community member made a 3rd person view for the first Borderlands. build on the Unreal Engine too.

#22 Diabetus88

Diabetus88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA

Posted May 16 2013 - 02:57 PM

looking around corners aside the extra FOV you would get from even a tight over the shoulder cam is still a pretty big advantage.

#23 MartyFriedman

MartyFriedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Washington, US

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:26 PM

No matter where the camera is positioned a 3rd-person view will always present a larger visible area when compared to a 1st-person view. Over-the-shoulder, no matter how close to the shoulder will give a slight increase on the opposite shoulders side but a massive increase in the camera shoulders side.  Centered would give a large increase on both sides (similar to the pre-Raider, non-tweaked repair cam).  Overhead would even give a slight view behind your mech.  And regardless of what mode of view is used, you'll still be able to see around corners and the intentional blind spots.

As such, no matter how useful it would be in a game like this where situational awareness is one of your greatest assets it would force people to use a 3rd-person view or gimp themselves entirely.  Those kind of forced decisions are what can lead to a games demise.

Edited by MartyFriedman, May 16 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#24 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:41 PM

3rd person view is a dumb idea. Good for single player games, but mostly bad for multy

because bow ties are cool

#25 Brnmatt7

Brnmatt7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSetting a trap for you on the Last Eco map

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:58 PM

It'll be a total (dis)advantage to your opponent.

Posted Image

Check us out @ www.bsb-gaming.com

You can also find me on Raptr

#26 RustyLampsh4de

RustyLampsh4de

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorthwest GA

Posted May 17 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on March 03 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 03 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

It's not like it's currently in the works, but the current form is in no way ready to go live.
OH WAIT

EDIT: Seriously, if they implemented it now, it would likely just end up with tons of people bitching about how spec mode sucks, ignoring the fact that it's unfinished.

but I want it NOW

I could go for some hamburgers but I'm not going to grab the hamburger meat out of my fridge and just start shoveling it down.

Also, I'd rather we get some kind of theater mode instead of a spec, but either is good

Edited by RustyLampsh4de, May 17 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#27 Therris

Therris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 02:05 PM

Fully support a third person mode or view. I cannot get into this game without it.

#28 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted July 16 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostTherris, on July 16 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Fully support a third person mode or view. I cannot get into this game without it.

Well, there's the door >>>
Don't forget to close it behind you on the way out ^_^
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#29 Markiswild

Markiswild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted July 18 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 02 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting placing COSMETICS before balance and adherence to the fact that Hawken is FIRST PERSON SHOOTER_

My reaction is your name: WAT

EDIT:
And you can't tell me that it isn't a real advantage. Something that useful does not end up being "optional".

http://youtu.be/_5nFa5ObxMg

If you bring it in tight enough to be useless, it's just going to be ugly.

Well, Call of Duty is a FPS and has third person mode. And Gears of War. I really don''t think it would give a real advantage either. Since everyone would have the option it would be completely fair, and I feel like it would come down to personal preference, not which is better for gaming. Great suggestion wat! :D

#30 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted July 18 2013 - 07:13 PM

what if there were side windows you could look out of_
like in war thunder in cockpit mode you can look out the sides
there could be a keyboard button like the z and x keys for looking right and left
just an idea

-rope
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#31 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted July 18 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostMarkiswild, on July 18 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Well, Call of Duty is a FPS and has third person mode.
Which makes it an outlier, an anomaly. And given the extremely low popularity of the 3rd person mode in the MW series, it doesn't help your argument.

And Gears of War.
Gears of War is a third person shooter, thus irrelevant.

I really don''t think it would give a real advantage either. Since everyone would have the option it would be completely fair, and I feel like it would come down to personal preference, not which is better for gaming.
Whether or not you believe it gives an advantage is irrelevant. It clearly does. It's not a matter of opinion. It's something that can be proven using a scientific testing method.

And having the "option" is actually not an option at all. Given that 3rd person does provide an advantage, to play at your most competitive, you would be forced to use 3rd person. Personal preference would mean gimping yourself if you chose 1st.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#32 Therris

Therris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted August 09 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on July 16 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

I have faith. Mechwarrior just did it...
http://mwomercs.com/...iew-in-testing/

#33 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted August 09 2013 - 08:28 AM

How many of these threads are there now_

HAWKEN IS A MECH COMBAT FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

That is all.
Call me Nos.

#34 Teknoman_Rapier

Teknoman_Rapier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted August 09 2013 - 09:18 AM

I agree with not adding a Third Person View.  This is a First Person Shooter.  Its nice for the games you showed, (Dead Space, Gears of War and the other one which I am not sure I have seen yet), but even I don't consider those a true FPS type game.  In my humble opinion, and agreeing with AJK, this aspect would detract from the game's intent.

Bottom line you really don't have time to be looking at your paint-job when you are getting shot at.

As AJK put it to me in the near past.  The rule of cool is not always cool in games like this.

That said, I do respect the suggestion.

#35 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted August 09 2013 - 09:35 AM

Its not a suggestion. Its a hopeless wish. Please refer to the hawken game guide.

What Is HAWKEN_
HAWKEN is a free-to-play, multiplayer PC game that places you inside a mechanized war machine on the battlefield of a dystopian world.
This strategic, fast-paced, first-person shooter features incredible alien landscapes, customizable and upgradable mechs, and dynamic gameplay across multiple competitive game modes.

The only third-person will be when you are repairing your mech, or spectating. /thread
Call me Nos.

#36 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted August 09 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostTherris, on August 09 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on July 16 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Faith in what_

That ADH would see the amount of rage from their players implementing that and think "Oh...  yea, that's a really bad idea, we had better not do that..."_

:P

No no no, a thousand times no.

No offense intended, but this 'suggestion' has been brought up multiple times in the past and the overwhelming majority of players have agreed that a 3rd person view is unnecessary, unwanted, and would ruin a large portion of what makes Hawken, well, Hawken.  But you should know this as well considering your registration date, yes_

If you "can't get into the game" without it, then I'm sorry to see you go as I do want to see Hawken grow, but apparently Hawken isn't the game you were looking for.  It's not ever been in the game since I've been playing it, and I've never once wished that it had one.

Edited by bacon_avenger, August 09 2013 - 11:57 AM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#37 Wondrz

Wondrz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted August 11 2013 - 05:00 AM

I Totally vote for third person view so then i would totally buy thrusters (cosmetics), but when an enemy has spotted you in puts you back into first person, so if a explosion happens near you like a grenade it'll swap you back to first person and then you cant go back into third person mode in 30 seconds, this time limit can be debated however,

Also like my new profile pic, HUE@W
Posted Image

#38 Zanozus

Zanozus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 11 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think rearview and side mirrors (camera) are compromise and will be more useful than third person view. It's not against the ideology of the game.

Edited by Zanozus, August 11 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#39 Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationIndpls, IN USA

Posted August 11 2013 - 10:29 AM

To salad girl up there, you do realize 99.9% of ALL "FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS" "FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS"  "FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS" do use a 3rd person view. Not 100ft away but definitely behind the player. So his request is NOT unusual or strange or out of place. It is perfectly normal for a FPS game. It is how they have been done for 15 years now. I know I've been gaming online for 18 years now. I've been in 46 betas and that doesn't even count finished games. Would it change the game_ Yes. Would it be a unfair advantage_ No, because everyone would have it. Would it add to the game. Oh yes. A thousand times yes. Can you say Mechwarrior_

Edited by Nov8tr, August 11 2013 - 10:45 AM.

YEAH I'M REALLY A 60 YR OLD GAMER. MY CALLSIGN IS PRONOUNCED INNOVATOR!!
Posted Image

#40 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted August 11 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostTherris, on August 09 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

MechWarrior Online is currently experiencing massive fallout due to the addition of third-person view. It is exacerbating the issue of the PPC, jump-sniper meta that already exists there. If you think MWO is going to help the case for 3PV, you are not paying enough attention to how fuzzy bunny that game is thanks to Piranha aiming for the lowest common denominator.

3PV is never optional in a competitive sense. If a game supports it, and you want to win, you must use it. Even if the game tries to "balance" it by crippling your aim in that mode, there's nothing stopping you from popping between perspectives to look around corners and above hills. It is an objective advantage, and advantages are not optional. Pay-2-Win would not be a part of our vocabulary if advantages were.

I am heavily against 3PV being rushed into games that were not built around it. If Hawken was a 3PV Shooter from the beginning, I wouldn't be concerned all that much; but clearly that is not the case. Level design, weapon mechanics and movement have all been tuned with first-person view in mind, and it is unreasonable to think Adhesive can retune the aforementioned for this optional optimal perspective.

GunZ 2 is coming out on Steam later this year. Perhaps give that a go_

It was fun while it lasted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users