HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Analyzing the Raider Patch

Community Beta News Patch Video

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#241 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostTheChaffeemancer, on March 09 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

View PostAkrium, on March 09 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

You have to understand that while the KLA is versatile, the kla-nade and the kla-mirv are not. You cannot treat it as one weapon but instead two separate secondaries because while you are using one you can NOT use the other. The raider is the first mech to get 2 secondaries. One is a mid-long range slug that is meh at best and the other is a multi explosive projectile for cqc which actually is good. Which makes sense because this mech is meant to be in your face.

1. Of course the individual modes of a dual-purpose, versatile weapon aren't versatile individually, it'd be bloody stupid. The obviously isn't always obvious though. Just as common sense isn't so common.

2. We can treat it as one weapon, the switch time is probably a second long and you can do it while doing literally anything. Walking_ Switch. Reloading, can switch. Dodging, Can switch. Boosting, can switch. Repairing_ You bet your bum you can switch. This is a repeat of your first point. But now you are saying they are because the switch timer is so quick.

3. You're underestimating the grenade. It is quite easy to get direct hits with and it does have splash damage. If you can lead a target, you're going to get a hit. Yes, because getting direct hits on moving targets is so easy that everyone in the game can do it. There is no dodge mechanic in this game at all. And the splash damage is either on walls, floors or ceilings. There is no mid air easy mode det.

4. There is still such a good thing at being too good at its role, regardless of drawbacks (which the Mirv is). The draw back being he cannot shoot well at mid-long range with it's primary or secondary.. ok that isn't a bad drawback. The EOC can go far, but good luck landing it well on moving targets at range. And the shotguns are shotguns.. their damage is highly dropped at range. Those are not important drawbacks at all.

Basically this mech is forcing players to learn a new style of play. Some of you are not handling this as well as others. Like I made the example before, would you want to fight someone using the vulcan in cqc or in a more optimal range for your weapon that isn't optimal for his.

Go go ad hominen! We think that it's OP, therefore we can't adapt! I was simply showing an example of something that a wise player does currently before this patch hit and after. If you have a ranged weapon you don't fight with it in melee vs a guy who has a melee weapon. I am not pointing out good tactics at all am I. But if you like to keep fighting in cqc vs a raider go right ahead. I won't feel bad about it.

The second choice is what you try for obviously. You need to take advantage of his "advantage" by denying him his advantage and making it a disadvantage. Yes the raider has an ability to close the gap but it isn't up 24/7. And it isn't an I win button either.

If the raider can't use his ability then it is not a "disadvantage" he is still a B-Class with all the mobility/durability that brings, he is not suddenly slower or squishier or anything else. Unless you're at 200- HP when you try to escape, you're getting away with that ability, It's a get out of jail free card, pretty much, so while it may not be an "I win button" in all situations, it can be an "I don't lose" button.. Remember the ability requires you flee while you still have fuel. I guess one could always flee at the first signs of having to fight someone and could just not attack anyone all game if they wanted it. The raider would be pretty good at that. Because you would have more than likely a full tank of fuel in those situations. Remember, a B-Class mech isn't an A class mech. He doesn't have the same ability to dodge around all day and jet around all day. He has to worry about fuel and using the ability uses up your fuel. And when you are boosting and dodging your fuel drops very quickly while using that ability. Which if you don't manage it right, will make you a dead man fast.

Scouts are very good at popping their ability and dodging so much that it is hard to use the raider ability to great success.

Raider moves at dodge speed while walking with his ability active. The scout is still only moving in bursts. I've had one just play dodge games with me until my ability has run dry. I was out of fuel trying to keep up and dodge his attack at the same time. He played it very well. I won in the end.. but with 50 health. That wasn't a fight I should have played out. 50 health just sets me up for an easy death to one of his teammates. And since then I've been much more cautious fighting A class mechs. I can zip around, but my fuel is limited by my class, not by my ability.

C class mechs can go into turret and soak a ton of damage while still dishing out theirs.

If a raider dies to a turreted C it was either A: He wasn't paying attention or B: Someone else was shooting the raider in the bum. A is the raider being bad, which should not be factored into balance and B is two people to counter one, which is also bad for balance. So you are saying in a perfect world the raider always has a det to add to his damage to make sure he kills this C class. A Class mech that drops into turret mode before he is hit has over 1.1k health effectively. That is a LOT of health to burn through while taking damage back. A good C class mech can go toe to toe with a raider. They can carry dets too and use burst weapons.

There are counters to this "too good" mech. Raiders and Sharpshooters counter as well because they deny the mech before he even gets to them. Granted they are a double edge sword, because it is a counter that can be countered by the raider as well.

And the sharpshooter is seen as OP. Do you not see the issue with using OP mechs to counter OP mechs_ It leads to everything else being inadequate. Opps I meant to say Reaper.. REAPER and Sharpshooter counter raider. I keep getting those two goofed up from time to time when I am writing stuff. It is about the meta of a ranged mech vs the meta of a cqc mech. Not about OP vs OP. My bad, I mistakenly wrote the wrong mech.

Widen your gaze and think outside the box. This mech isn't as OP as many believe it is. They simply haven't figure out how to fight it yet.

And when you don't consider what you say, it's easy to think you're right.
I consider what I say all the time. And I am not saying I am 100% right. But I am saying a lot of people are on the more side of wrong and just QQing without thinking about how to better themselves for the situation. Which is what happens a lot when a new meta gets dropped in your lap.

Also, didn't you say that you were done here_ Kiwi's fairly certain you did.
I'm glad kiwi didn't notice me apologizing to beemann and me retracting my statement because I simply read it wrong and faced up to it. Thank you for noticing.

#242 v009

v009

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 12:21 PM

Why don't you guys have a competitive scrim to see how well the Raider can do in that environment_ And also test the consistency of the MIRV effectiveness in that match too.
To all new Hawken Pilots! Press SPACE BAR and HOLD to enter GOD mode.

#243 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 09 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm not going to go look for where I quoted that because good god I need to stop trying to get people to whine about this patch. And this thread is totally derailed, except for the fact that the Bolt is was being compared to to being part of the problem when it is just the flak cannon with the option to shoot faster for less damage.
Dismissing people who disagree with your position as whining is incredibly rude, and quite condescending.

Oh, and by the way, anything discussing the changes made in the Raider Patch is on topic here.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#244 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 09 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just wonderimg how is everyone finding the change to the hellfires that came in the raider update vs how they were before the update_

#245 OddaC

OddaC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationThe wastes, waiting for the revolution...

Posted March 09 2013 - 07:11 PM

Regarding the the Hellfires, I am of the opinion that they are now something to be feared, especially in open areas or good vantage points. The Bruiser and Rocketeer have gone from joke-mechs for n00bs, to a legitimate threat. If not for the damage nerf, the things would be OP as hell now.

Last patch, I had a helluva time getting them to hit anything, even with a lock-on and minimized obstructions. Now you actually need to dodge and take cover. I could not believe how much tail I was suddenly kicking in my bruiser which I had previously reserved as a 'nerf yourself to make it fair for the rookies' mech. The missiles launch faster and do a far better job at homing in, and the mishaps aren't as frequent now.

So in my opinion, this patch did 'em right.

EDIT: Oh, I have noticed that you actually have to wait for the lock on to finish now, or they won't seek.

Edited by OddaC, March 09 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#246 flimsy

flimsy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 09 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Just wonderimg how is everyone finding the change to the hellfires that came in the raider update vs how they were before the update_

I hate them. But then I've always hated them. If I could make 2 changes to Hawken, I'd remove seeking weapons and hitscan weapons.

#247 Loveundermytail

Loveundermytail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postmaschas, on March 09 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 09 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I hate them. But then I've always hated them. If I could make 2 changes to Hawken, I'd remove seeking weapons and hitscan weapons.

The game would be all TOW's and Heatcannons. NO THANKS

#248 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:35 PM

So after playing with the recent patch for some time I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results and nothing overall feels broken, at least in my opinion. I'm still in the boat the the Sharp Shooter needs some refinement, especially with its ability but that is a discussion for another time.

The Raider seems to be a hot button for discussion and in my opinion it is a fairly balanced mech that gives a ton of burst damage potential but it comes with a great risk. The Reflak allows for decent sustained damage while the Tri-bolt allows for a good burst shot without feeling like it is a copy of the Flak. I like the fact that I can fire it quickly for lower damage giving me a variety of options in how I use it in combat. I'm sure we'll see some minor tweaking moving forward much like we have with the Mini-flak and Flak but as they are now I'm quite pleased with the results.

The big item for discussion though is the Corsair RPG, which again in my opinion works incredibly well in its current form. The RPG mode has great range but takes skill to use at a distance. It fires in an arc, can't be detonated, and doesn't have a big splash effect making it a weapon which rewards skill over spamming. The MIRV mode is a sight to behold and one many have cried foul on. Personally I think it is fairly balanced as is considering how close you have to get to get the full potential of the weapon, the slow reload time, and the scatter effect at a distance.

Unlike any of the Flak cannons you're not hitting anyone over 90m away from you so you can't even use it for assist kills and against a team that knows what they are doing moving in close for a MIRV blast leaves you open to enemy fire. The risk versus reward is fairly balanced here. Yes it has high burst potential but something like this is meant to shut down enemy mechs at close range, deal with speedy A-Class mechs, and provide a nice counter to Sharp Shooters as well as C-Class mechs.

The seriously limited range and limited blast radius means you've got to be precise with your shots and get in close. When you miss with the MIRV you're punished with a long reload time plus both modes of the Corsair lack a detonation feature.

Other changes such as the feathering effect I rather like. It adds more skill to weapons like the TOW and GL making fights feel more skill based than who can fire off the most shots. Hellfires feel like they can be dodged again but are also a formidable weapon to go against if you are at a distance. The EMP finally feels right in terms of risk vs. reward. If you get hit with it there is a small window you have to be on your toes to avoid being wiped out and if you strike your opponent with it you must capitalize immediately on the situation otherwise you wasted your time.

Facility can use some work in terms of spawn points and overall cover. Feels like a Sharp Shooter dream at the moment with how open everything is but I'm sure we'll see balancing of the map as we move forward. I enjoy playing on it though and like the different feel it has from everything else.

Also I rather enjoy the 24 player matches and hope those stick around. They really promote team work and show how fighting together outweighs enemy level every single time. Numerous times I've seen one team with several level 25 mechs and the other with no one over 20 and the second team wins by a landslide.

Definitely happy with this patch and I'm looking forward to seeing more like it moving forward.

Posted Image

#249 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:54 PM

How to fight raiders 101 (from what I've seen):

1: Stay away from them, they have sharp, sharp, teeth, use a reaper/sharpshooter/rocketeer/SA brawler/heat grenadier... (each mech seems to have an easy(er) to use long range weapon other than the raider, the EOC is still difficult to use effectively at longer range(s) but if they are that pro don't get mad, get even.)

2: If it starts running to confront you, run too, it will eventually run out of fuel.

3: Bring to towards your pals, a raider has to be close for a kill, correct_ Bring it into a group hug with your team, then it will be as close as it needs to be.

4: If you want to fight it toe to toe (not TOW's) you'll need a mech more suited for this role, such as a scout or brawler. But if you are good with your mech of choice you can still take out the raider.

5: If you don't feel up to the challenge, bring a friend or two, this leave enough of the team to hold a location, or distract the enemy whilst you and your friend(s) go to take out repairers and other things (This tend to be a good tactic in general unless the other team is moving as a full swarm)

6: If you don't like a raider, try one they are very effective at ripping each-others face off.

7: If you can't do anything listed above you can: A; Get a better computer: B; Play in your skill bracket: C; leave the game anytime you see a raider spawn: or D; never play again, sorry. ):

Fighting anything is easy when you know how to fight it. It's just a matter of learning.

My grenades still steal kills like no tomorrow with some odd-ball AOE explosion, but their grenades they make big uncontrolled explosions one would think, smaller explosions than a rocket, unless that rocket carries a payload of a few mega-tons, in which case, I don't think anyone's dodging it. Not even the turreted brawler in an almost enclosed bunker in turret mode with a shield on.

Everything else seems to be well balanced, other than a few glitches with spawning I've heard of and experienced, but it's a beta, and so is life in a beta.

Just keep fighting, learn your enemies and the play styles they must use with their mech of choice, and learn to counter those choices.

Edited by Pirits, March 09 2013 - 10:54 PM.

"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#250 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 10 2013 - 12:23 AM

2 things I find very interesting to observe in people's reactions to the game before and after the patch:

first is the Raider, and it's burst, particularly it's effect on A-classes. For a while before the Raider patch, I have seen many, many threads on the A-classes, and many people in game talking about them. A lot of people were claiming this game was made for A-classes, and their trade of health for mobility was hardly a trade at all, as this is a FPS where mobility often wins fights. HEAT scouts were definitely at the top of the board, right up there with post-reaper patch SS. Now we have a mech thats designed for the express purpose of destroying A-classes, and everyone freaks out. While I completely agree the Radier's MIRV and the EOC could use a little toning down, the Raider is supposed to kill things quickly. That's what it was created for. I just find it interesting how people can say, in very oversimplified terms, "A-class OP", and then when a mech comes along that is very good at killing said A-classes, they flip-flop and say that killing A-classes quickly is a bad thing.

Next is the SS. Before the Reaper update, people were saying how a lot of maps don't suit the SS (which is true), and so the SS would always be gimped, in a sense, due to the mass of cover present in maps, which didn't favor long range shooting. Then the SS got a massive buff to its already great damage in the reaper patch with powershot. All of a sudden, the abundance of cover didn't matter, as, when built for it, the SS can achieve 625 damage over the course of its powershot ability. Now, in it's current form, a map that favors the SS can be devastating for everyone else. The massive burst the SS can put out with powershot in a low-cover map like facility, definitely is unfair, but I just find it interesting to see the difference in peoples reactions. People are talking about how no maps favor the SS, but as soon as an SS-friendly map is introduced, it gets a lot of complaints.

Of course, I completely understand the reasoning behind these reactions, the Raider's burst of 450 with the EOC/MIRV is pretty ridiculous, especially when a follow-up shot with the EOC would kill an A-class. And the SS, as I said earlier, can leave a B-class with 50 health. The nature of these mech's insane burst makes them very close to - if not completely - OP in the conditions they were made for. In introducing a counter to the A-class, and a map favorable to the SS (among a few other things I'm not bothering to focus on), the devs may have made them TOO good. Certainly Powershot and the MIRV could use some adjustment. As for the EOC, frankly I am worried that we are getting a repeat of what happened to the vulcan in CB (from what I hear), where it got stuck on a mech that made it far too good, the assault, and it got nerfed to the ground, ruining it for other mechs.

These are just some things I noticed that I found interesting. Do with it what you will. :P

Edited by Guiotine, March 10 2013 - 12:24 AM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#251 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 10 2013 - 01:48 AM

Gee whiz.
It's not like I ever predicted what would happen when a map that wasn't anti-sniper was introduced and the effect Power Shot would have.[/sarcasm]

And people say I'm silly for theorycrafting and that I can't know what will happen.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#252 TickleMeFuzzy

TickleMeFuzzy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 01:53 AM

I refuse to play games with raiders in them because they dominate no matter what. It's OP imo.

#253 Mechsupport

Mechsupport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostPirits, on March 09 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

3: Bring to towards your pals, a raider has to be close for a kill, correct_ Bring it into a group hug with your team, then it will be as close as it needs to be.

5: If you don't feel up to the challenge, bring a friend or two, this leave enough of the team to hold a location, or distract the enemy whilst you and your friend(s) go to take out repairers and other things (This tend to be a good tactic in general unless the other team is moving as a full swarm)

These both amount to "to beat raiders, gang up on them".  My interpretation of your point (I could be wrong, please correct me if so) is that the raider is designed to be highly effective in single target situations (i.e. picking off lone wolves) but comparatively weak in larger battles (i.e. the big confrontation between teams that's usually happening somewhere on the map).

The problem with this is that as a B-Class, the raider as enough maneuverability and armor to be able to survive such large battles, and it's been established by the theorycrafters that the raider outputs its burst damage on a regular, short cycle.  So we've got a duelist specialist that also has the staying power and consistent damage to be the dominant player in large battles.

4: If you want to fight it toe to toe (not TOW's) you'll need a mech more suited for this role, such as a scout or brawler. But if you are good with your mech of choice you can still take out the raider.

6: If you don't like a raider, try one they are very effective at ripping each-others face off.

I can't speak to the brawler, but as a passable scout pilot (1800, though I'm under no illusions about how that stacks up to the heavyweights in this thread), this statement boggles my mind.  It's been established that raiders one shot scouts, and I've been on the receiving end of this phenomena several times this week. One of the main defenses of the raider has been that it's a dedicated A-Class killer.  In any case, I don't think the game should come down to rock-paper-scissors, and for the most part it doesn't.  If a mech has been introduced that forces the metagame to move in that direction, I think that's a red flag that something's wrong with the latest patch.  Sharpshooter is another offender in this category, but imo less of a problem because it's much harder to force a long range engagement than to force CQC.

7: If you can't do anything listed above you can: A; Get a better computer: B; Play in your skill bracket: C; leave the game anytime you see a raider spawn: or D; never play again, sorry. ):

A:  This is pay-to-win in a sense that Hawken has never even been accused of
B:  That's what under discussion
C & D:  Or you can submit feedback as a user and a beta tester Hurrah!

I feel like there are a lot of people popping into this thread and posting long winded opinions without having read through it.

EDIT - To all the theorycrafters:  Have you looked into the DPS of different mech loadouts, as opposed to weapons_  The number of combinations would be prohibitively large, but seeing what the numbers look like from a few of the power builds and maybe one or two middle of the road builds would be interesting.

Edited by Mechsupport, March 10 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#254 Kmaleon73

Kmaleon73

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationVenezuela-Maracaibo-Edo Zulia

Posted March 10 2013 - 08:21 AM

The rider seems good wick the problem is that I have taken or to level 25 and still does not seem good, you have to follow testing

#255 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 01:13 PM

Alright, I've had my first 'Oh my jeebus' moment with a Raider, that wasn't just somebody being an OP player.

Detonator + Raider = almost insta-gibbing my Rocketeer.

Granted, dude was pulling the maneuver off spectacularly in conjunction with some ninja skill, but jeebus. If I can keep the range open, Raider generally mincemeat, but if one with a Det ninja's up to me its all over.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#256 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ok, I'm changing my opinion on the Raider.  It's actually pretty good.  When I read that description I was convinced that I could finally do my one-on-one combat and blow up all the suckers by myself.  Well, that ain't gonna happen so easy.  Still need some team support, but with some strategy and dodging involved the Raider is pretty strong.  This is with default weapons.  Haven't tried the other primary yet as I have not reached the level.

Also I was using it mostly on the new map.  Using it on a regular map changed my views in favor of it :)  Good job Hawken.

....now if they can only get the Cupcake up-to-spec :lol:

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#257 v009

v009

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 03:58 PM

Anyone experiencing the KLA-MIRV mode not doing damage sometimes even when the whole pellets hit the enemy_
To all new Hawken Pilots! Press SPACE BAR and HOLD to enter GOD mode.

#258 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 10 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postv009, on March 10 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Anyone experiencing the KLA-MIRV mode not doing damage sometimes even when the whole pellets hit the enemy_
There's currently a bug where it won't fire anything, thought the weapon will reload as if you did fire.

However, if you actually see the projectiles hit, and are absolutely sure no damage was done, then you may be experiencing a "No-reg", a shot that doesn't register. This is usually down to latency/netcode problems.

AJK is right

#259 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted March 11 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostMechsupport, on March 10 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

These both amount to "to beat raiders, gang up on them".  My interpretation of your point (I could be wrong, please correct me if so) is that the raider is designed to be highly effective in single target situations (i.e. picking off lone wolves) but comparatively weak in larger battles (i.e. the big confrontation between teams that's usually happening somewhere on the map).

The problem with this is that as a B-Class, the raider as enough maneuverability and armor to be able to survive such large battles, and it's been established by the theorycrafters that the raider outputs its burst damage on a regular, short cycle.  So we've got a duelist specialist that also has the staying power and consistent damage to be the dominant player in large battles.

Three is much more risky due to the fact you're meant to go in (solo) as bait (YOLO) and bring the specific target with you into your team, I tend to pull anywhere from one to three enemy units (effectively, gets a bit dodges around four) to my team after a bit of my own damage to them, where they are promptly slaughtered or flee, and when they flee I chase.

​Five is bringing a small part of the group to preform a flanking maneuver that's been modified to have a single target or type of target as the priority. Another example being that one annoying scout that keeps getting away from your team after a suicide run, you chase him or follow from a healthy distance till he thinks it's safe to repair.

I can't speak to the brawler, but as a passable scout pilot (1800, though I'm under no illusions about how that stacks up to the heavyweights in this thread), this statement boggles my mind.  It's been established that raiders one shot scouts, and I've been on the receiving end of this phenomena several times this week. One of the main defenses of the raider has been that it's a dedicated A-Class killer.  In any case, I don't think the game should come down to rock-paper-scissors, and for the most part it doesn't.  If a mech has been introduced that forces the metagame to move in that direction, I think that's a red flag that something's wrong with the latest patch.  Sharpshooter is another offender in this category, but imo less of a problem because it's much harder to force a long range engagement than to force CQC.

A brawler can own the field if used properly, same goes for any mech but I chose these two due to the fact they have a 'get in your face' type of play style. I've heard of players (better than myself) going scout to reaper (the epic player in question being the scout) and winning, something tells me they may have been using a heat cannon or are on the level of 1337h4x0rz with a shotgun. Fighting a Raider just takes a different approach than most are used to, something tells me my heat/eoc infiltrator tactics may be the way to go, don't out gun them, out think them. I don't tend to see many raiders, but once I had one trying to go crazy on me in my eoc infiltrator, I rolled out a red carpet for him to follow me on, he didn't make it to the awards ceremony though.

I can't say I'd know an effective strategy for scout v raider, I don't show my scout as much love as he deserves. Wish I could really elaborate on how one should go about that fight.

A:  This is pay-to-win in a sense that Hawken has never even been accused of
B:  That's what under discussion
C & D:  Or you can submit feedback as a user and a beta tester Hurrah!

Your response to A: Yeah, that's the horrible punchline to my joke. Killer, wouldn't you say_

Your response to B: I just put some tactics up that were slightly modified for use against a raider followed by an epic catch phrases in fire brick red.

Your response to C & D: I love me some beta game physics in combat and default roaming physics.

I feel like there are a lot of people popping into this thread and posting long winded opinions without having read through it.

I read most, if not everything that was posted prior to my post, I find it rude to post something and expect others to read what you've wrote when you wouldn't take the time to read what they wrote.

EDIT - To all the theorycrafters:  Have you looked into the DPS of different mech loadouts, as opposed to weapons_  The number of combinations would be prohibitively large, but seeing what the numbers look like from a few of the power builds and maybe one or two middle of the road builds would be interesting.

I prefer to think what mech dose the lowest DPS (hawkins ripper reaper, correct_) then think what about all the people that lose to that as apposed to the highest DPS'es. I've been killed by ripper reapers before, never been killed by a sharpshooter with power-shot in my A classes from full hp to zero. They are like long range vultures picking off stragglers, or a newly hatched hawk, trying to hunt rabbits much to big for it to take out on it's own.

First I'd like to say I like that I have some constructive criticism, makes me feel famous, no idea why, just dose.

Insert edit in the second thought line. I forgot I was trying to put every shade of green in that post.
Second I'd like to say please don't remove the lime/neon-green or dark green text, I'm using it to make it easy to find my posts/quotes. Due to the fact you removed this at first glance it only looked like you had quoted three & five.

​Third, I really meant most of that as a joke, an effective joke that basically gives you default strategies that have been changed sightly in order to suit the raider.

Insert edit on what thought this is, not the fourth but the last.
Last: It was really nice getting a chance to clear stuff up, I'm sure you weren't  the only one thinking things such as these. What I was trying to say was use your best mech in a format and with a strategy fitting for fighting raiders if you're that worried about them. I've been killed by raiders about eight to ten times since the patch.

Edited by Pirits, March 11 2013 - 06:16 PM.

"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#260 flimsy

flimsy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 10 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

View Postv009, on March 10 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

There's currently a bug where it won't fire anything, thought the weapon will reload as if you did fire.

However, if you actually see the projectiles hit, and are absolutely sure no damage was done, then you may be experiencing a "No-reg", a shot that doesn't register. This is usually down to latency/netcode problems.

I was noticing shots not causing damage quite a bit during several games I played last night. My ping is fairly low, so I don't think it could be a latency problem. I would fire point blank at opponents and they would appear to take very little damage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Beta, News, Patch, Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users