HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Producer Letter: The Raider Update

News Game Patch

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PabloPwnage

PabloPwnage

Producer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

The Raider Update is here and we here on Team HAWKEN are really excited to talk about what has been going on in the world of HAWKEN, and what you can expect to see!

Matchmaking Fixes

As you all know, matchmaking has been a top priority for us since HAWKEN entered Open Beta on December 12, 2012. We have made fixes, monitored data, listened to the community, and, as of our last patch, we have seen matchmaking take a great stride forward. Matches are now consistently reaching a level of fairness that we consider acceptable for players and we have been excited to see the comments from the community regarding this progress.

As always, we will continue to refine and tweak the matchmaking system so that it continues to grow in both its ability to create fair and balanced matches, as well as get players into those matches quickly. There are still a number of big additions to the matchmaking portion of the game that are coming down the pipeline. Soon we will be adding server auto-balancing to ensure that as people come and go, the server is keeping the right balance of player skill across both teams.

Balanced matches and close competition are what make FPS games fun. We will not stop refining matchmaking until we feel that the HAWKEN matchmaking experience is of the highest quality possible.

Return of the Server Browser

Your eyes are not fooling you, you read correctly; the server browser has returned to HAWKEN!

The new server browser is designed to allow you to quickly find matches and jump in while at the same time preserving the sanctity of match balance by making sure you don't get into a match where you will outclass or be outclassed by the players already there. The new server browser has a few new features and pieces of information, so with the aid of the below screenshot, allow me to explain how it all works!

The first thing you will notice is that you now have a player rating visible to you in the upper-right-hand corner of the browser underneath Your Rating. This rating is based on the proprietary formula that we use to define player skill, and will increase or decrease based on how you are performing in matches of HAWKEN. Although we aren't divulging the specifics for how we calculate this value, suffice it to say that we use it define how skilled you are as a player.  We are making this visible while we test the server browser and matchmaking.

The second thing you will notice is that there is a Rating column in the list of servers. In order for you to join a specific server, your rating must be within +/-300 points of the server's rating. If your rating is outside that +/-300 point limit, the server will appear grayed out in your server list and attempting to join the server will display an error message informing you that your player rating is not within the acceptable range for the server. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but I will address those later on.

Now let's talk about how servers are classified. When a server is empty, the server name will contain Unranked and the server's rating will display as 0. The reason for this is because a server's rating is based on the average of the aggregate of all players currently on the server, so without any players, a server has no rating. An empty server can be joined by a player of any rating, at which point the server will take on the rating of that player and continue to adjust as more players join. Once three players have joined a server, the server will classify itself and update Unranked to a new value based on the following criteria:

[*]1350 or lower: Beginner
    [*]1350 to 1650: Intermediate
    [*]1650 or greater: Advanced
    [/list]As I stated earlier, typically the server browser will only allow you to enter a match if your rating is within +/-300 of the server's rating, but there are three exceptions to this rule.

[*]If the server has fewer than three players.

[*]If the server has fewer than three players, it has not yet classified itself and will use the third player to solidify the acceptable skill range of subsequent joining players.
        [/list] [*]If the player's rating is higher or lower than ALL servers listed.

[*]In this rare event we suggest you go back and use the Quick Match system.
          [/list] [*]The server is a custom server.

[*]When we host HAWKEN events via private servers, and eventually when we support dedicated servers (yes, they are coming HAWKEN pilots!), these servers will not follow rating requirements like the other public servers do.
            [*]When we eventually roll out dedicated server support, as a server administrator you will be able to set requirements for your server/s if you so choose, but for the time being, this is not something you will see in the game.
            [/list] [/list]You will also notice that the server browser will mainly show servers that have players in them and only one empty server of each game type. The reason for this is to make it quick and easy for players to jump into populated servers instead of having to scroll through a bunch of empty servers before finding a populated server they want to join. Once a player joins an empty server, a new empty server of that game type will appear allowing players to start a new server if they so choose.

Finally, we want to make sure it is clear that joining a server via the server browser will not separate you from players who join games via the Quick Match tab. You will be joining the same servers.

As always we love to hear your feedback so please let us know what you think about the new and improved server browser!

GLHF

Every update we make to HAWKEN continues to spur us on as we see your positive reactions to the new content and the changes we've been making to improve the game. We consider ourselves very lucky to have such an amazing and involved community!

Come find us on the battlefield. We'll save a TOW missile for you!

Click here to view the article

Paul Loynd
Senior Producer/Enforcer, Meteor Entertainment

#2 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you!
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#3 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:30 PM

woo!

how to I set up my own server_

Posted Image

#4 Jintonic

Jintonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:35 PM

awesome!
is there a cap for personal rating_ 2000_

Edited by Jintonic, March 06 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#5 Toryne

Toryne

Ghost of Crion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:45 PM

Thank you for the clarification on the "Ratings" :D

#6 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:02 PM

Im not too sure about the raider it doesnt seem to work with me i cant remember which mode is which and the primary really isnt that good (my opinion, i dont want any fights)
Posted Image

#7 Pure_Amazing

Pure_Amazing

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:18 PM

Quick Question!!!!!

When you bring in custom/private servers will the quick match system put you in those servers as well or will it be limited to the meteor public servers_

Posted Image

Member Of Critical Assist

Member Of The EMP Show

View PostAregon, on May 19 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

And we all know that if Pure first dislikes anything nothing will change that.

#8 RudaForce

RudaForce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:55 PM

Wasn't it upped to +/- 500_

Posted Image

"I don't have a favourite quote."

#9 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:55 PM

Thank you Devs for all the hard work! :DReally, thanks so fuzzy bunny much for all the blood,sweat, and tears molded into what is Hawken.
This game continues to get better and better as it's refined with each patch, and one can only wonder what epicness will come next.
Though the team is small (but growing), and there have been some rough spot's, you guys are really pulling through. Not only do you take the time to listen to the community, but you're apart of it as well. Combining that with your determination to provide such a rich experience, and the communities love and passion for the game, is sure to drive Hawken to greatness. You'll even hold content back when necessary to really insure QA such as this. (-hud glitch :P)
Once again, thanks guys for this excellent game.

This may be coming from the fact that this is my first day back in game (fixed my pc)
But I :wub: this fuzzy game. :D It restored my faith in the FPS genre.

Edited by G4M5T3R, March 06 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#10 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 06 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostRudaForce, on March 06 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Wasn't it upped to +/- 500_

Once the ratings even out, it should return to 300.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#11 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted March 06 2013 - 11:33 PM

server browser needs ping column

#12 y3ypnaTop

y3ypnaTop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK servers

Posted March 06 2013 - 11:35 PM

Great stuff! Thank you, devs!

#13 Guest_waftycrank_*

Guest_waftycrank_*
  • Guests

Posted March 07 2013 - 02:55 AM

Only 300 separates Beginner and Advanced.  ±300 (600 rating range) still drops new players in with advanced.  ±500 (1000 rating range) drops more advanced players in with new.  Not really accomplishing much.  Appreciate ratings will settle over time.  Appreciate low player numbers means wider range required.  With lots of players ranges should be reassessed.  Suggest ±150 (300 rating range).

#14 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted March 07 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ok, so yesterday I was playing in 1.6k DM(my rating was 1.8K but there were no higher rating server available at that moment) and that 1.6K rating server ended up being filled with beginners for some reason, most of them were playing their first game and were using 1st lvl CR-Ts.

Which leads me to this request-can you please disable availability of lower rating servers and increase the availability of higher number rating_

In other words-disable -300 range and upscale +300 up to +500. I'd rather get my arse handed over to me by a better players and learn from it, than keep pub-stomping newbies.

Or at least add an option to be able to do something like that, please_
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#15 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 07 2013 - 10:06 AM

Who is this Pablo Pwnage. I have never heard of him before. But Welcome. What happened to Hughes_ And thank you for the update. Im just a little concerned that we may now be off track for the regular 1 mech a month track at the end of the month. As the Raider was suppose to be the February mech. Will we indeed have 2 Mechs released in March and keep on track_

#16 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted March 07 2013 - 03:07 PM

G4M5T3R, on March 06 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Thank you Devs for all the hard work! :DReally, thanks so fuzzy bunny much for all the blood,sweat, and tears molded into what is Hawken.
This game continues to get better and better as it's refined with each patch, and one can only wonder what epicness will come next.
Though the team is small (but growing), and there have been some rough spot's, you guys are really pulling through. Not only do you take the time to listen to the community, but you're apart of it as well. Combining that with your determination to provide such a rich experience, and the communities love and passion for the game, is sure to drive Hawken to greatness. You'll even hold content back when necessary to really insure QA such as this. (-hud glitch :P)
Once again, thanks guys for this excellent game.

This may be coming from the fact that this is my first day back in game (fixed my pc)
But I :wub: this fuzzy game. :D It restored my faith in the FPS genre.

Agreed...well said G4MST3R
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#17 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 07 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 07 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Who is this Pablo Pwnage. I have never heard of him before. But Welcome. What happened to Hughes_

Yeah, what the heck_! Who is this guy_ I don't know but he sounds like a punk... Are you a punk Pablo Pwnage_

LOL

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#18 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 07 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 07 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 07 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Who is this Pablo Pwnage. I have never heard of him before. But Welcome. What happened to Hughes_

Yeah, what the heck_! Who is this guy_ I don't know but he sounds like a punk... Are you a punk Pablo Pwnage_

LOL
I would propose that what you probably intended to pry into was his potential position as either a proper punk Pablo Pwnage or a petty poser punk Pablo Pwnage
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#19 theUntoldLegend

theUntoldLegend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 11:31 AM

im still new is Hawken a good game

#20 Iur