HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Free Mech Test Drive: Assault and Scout

Game News

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 19 2013 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image

Attention, mech pilots! For a limited time, you can test drive the Assault and the Scout for free. Try before you buy! Best of all, any levels these mechs gain during the test drive will be saved, even if you don't unlock them until later.

The Assault is a versatile medium mech with excellent mid-range firepower. Its Submachine Cannon remains remarkably accurate at max range, so open fire when you see the whites of their...well...anything. Its secondary weapon is your old friend, the TOW Rocket. Point. Shoot. Explode enemies. Its Weapons Coolant ability will prevent and remove heat buildup for a short period of time, giving you more uptime on all of your weapons.

The Scout is a speedy light mech with a focus on close-quarters combat. Its Mini-Flak Cannon offers a fast rate of fire with lower spread than the full-size Flak Cannon but less damage per shot. It packs the trusty TOW Rocket for its secondary weapon. When in clutch situations, its Fuel Reserves ability allows it to regain almost a half tank of fuel to charge into a fight or narrowly escape death.

Head to your garage to test drive these mechs right now until April 2!

Click here to view the article
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#2 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 19 2013 - 10:28 AM

Awesome! I'm looking forward to trying out the Scout for the first time.

#3 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 10:31 AM

I was just hoping for a scout test drive, so thanks!
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#4 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 19 2013 - 10:39 AM

Why do you keep giving free players a second CRT to test drive_ Not only does it use their first alt weapon, but the only short term difference is locked behind a level gate they can't pass as a freebie mech, so you're ultimately just giving them one test drive mech every time the Assault comes back into the rotation
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#5 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostBeemann, on March 19 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Why do you keep giving free players a second CRT to test drive_ Not only does it use their first alt weapon, but the only short term difference is locked behind a level gate they can't pass as a freebie mech, so you're ultimately just giving them one test drive mech every time the Assault comes back into the rotation
This may just be me, but every time I drive an assault, something feels different from the CR-T, I can't grasp what exactly. Something about it feels right/better than CR-T even though they are pretty much the same. Maybe knowing that I am not a giant block of square helps. Or maybe the cockpit layout looks better.

Although I do agree that it should not be in the test drive rotation until it get some kind of rework. Tiny change such as a different starter offensive/defensive item would help.

#6 nanocage

nanocage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNRW

Posted March 19 2013 - 11:09 AM

The Assault mech needs definitely some rework. As it stands it's just a CR-T without the good internals and therefore of no use.

My suggestion:
Give him at least one exclusive weapon in comparison to the CR-T. Also give him a different ability. For example a slightly increased fire-rate for a short period of time.

Edited by nanocage, March 19 2013 - 01:19 PM.

c12c3c4c5c1c6c7c8c2c9c1c3c2c3c4c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c9c8c9c1c2c1c2c3c4c3c4c

%10c5c5c6c6c7c7c

%11c8c8c9c1c1c2c3c2c4c5c6c3c7c8c1c23

#7 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationConstructing Additional Pylons

Posted March 19 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostBeemann, on March 19 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

Aye. The Assault needs something to differentiate it from the CR-T. I personally would love to see a new secondary or new ability on one of those mechs to keep the CR-T from feeling like an Assault with rookie internals.

I was not dead... I was only sleeping.

#8 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 19 2013 - 01:49 PM

The Assault is basically just the option to purchase a second CRT, much in the same way that some people purchase multiple bruisers or infiltrators. The problem is that it's being treated like another mech
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#9 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostBeemann, on March 19 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

The Assault is basically just the option to purchase a second CRT, much in the same way that some people purchase multiple bruisers or infiltrators. The problem is that it's being treated like another mech
Personally I'd love to see a grenade launcher on the Assault. That would help make it a different mech, and I don't think there are any grenade launcher-armed B-classes at the moment.

Edited by YellerBill, March 19 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#10 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted March 19 2013 - 02:29 PM

scouts_

this will not end well :P

Posted Image

#11 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted March 19 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostSilentJacket, on March 19 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

scouts_

agreed! :)
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#12 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted March 19 2013 - 03:32 PM

scouts_

It will for the raiders!

Regarding the assault, I'd just like to see it get a new ability.  Coolant is great for new players but it feels very lackluster once you've gotten used to playing without it.  Give the assault any other ability (anything at all, really!) and I'll probably unlock one.

#13 Climatic

Climatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 07:21 AM

scouts_

Fresh scouts are free kills, plus the test drivers are only gonna be using the miniflak

#14 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostClimatic, on March 20 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

scouts_

this will not end well Posted Image
Fresh scouts are free kills, plus the test drivers are only gonna be using the miniflak

Ooooh, it's gonna be open season out there...

#15 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:25 PM

Put Corsair-KLA on the Assault. Too many mechs with TOW as secondary.

#16 YellerBill

YellerBill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostHocisern, on March 22 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Put Corsair-KLA on the Assault. Too many mechs with TOW as secondary.

That wouldn't really work, the Corsair tends to be shorter-ranged than I usually see Assaults fighting at.

#17 Garthandal

Garthandal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted March 23 2013 - 08:01 AM

The Assault was the first mech I bought, as a newb I did not know it was the red headed step child of mechs. Now it sits waiting for some love while I lvl my Beserker.
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 MoBo, Corsair TX 750 Watt,  Crucial m4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB,  8 GB 1600mHz DDR3, GTX670 FTW, i5 2500k
I didn not build this computer to play Hello Kitty Island Adventure! (although that is a awesome game)

#18 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 23 2013 - 09:49 AM

Just saying... Thanks! :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#19 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:08 PM

Didn't Hughes say they were working on giving us the ability to change loadouts during matches after a death_
Or he said it was something he'd love to see.

#20 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Post_Caffeine_, on March 25 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Didn't Hughes say they were working on giving us the ability to change loadouts during matches after a death_
Or he said it was something he'd love to see.
I think the idea was bringing weapon swaps back (e.g. a scout swapping between mini flak and flak during a match, with the heat cannon being traded out for one or the other when unlocked)
Even if it was everything though, I cant imagine that it would work without a profile system, which is basically just purchasing a duplicate mech for cheaper anyway
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users