HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

REAPER ABILITY CHANGE

Announcement Beta Community Forum Exclusive

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostFrouste, on March 21 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

View PostReachH, on March 20 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

TLDR, but the precision overdrive is useless.
What ability might you suggest that would be far more useful on the reaper_
Increase the rate of fire, for all weapons.

Edited by KaszaWspraju, March 21 2013 - 08:48 AM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#22 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:59 AM

Personally I think the Reaper deserves Powershot(perhaps even in its current state) while the SS could use something else.

#23 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted March 21 2013 - 09:04 AM

I suggested something similar myself:
https://community.pl...d-sharpshooter/

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#24 Commy1

Commy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationGuelph, ON

Posted March 21 2013 - 09:57 AM

Not going to read first post, I don't speak swag.

As for the ability, I don't even know what it does but I THINK that it means when I use the Sabot, I don't have to be scoped in to be accurate.

#25 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:06 AM

I agree that the current ability doesn't seem to achieve anything, and that it should be changed.
But, please, please, type in lower case. The original post looks a mess and detracts attention from itself with a distinct lack of any presentation. There are numerous spelling mistakes, and it's clear that the post was rushed.

If you want to make this change implemented or even noticed by the developers, at least make it presentable, and perhaps put it in the Suggestions board, as opposed to General Discussion.

However, the Reaper is still a decent mech, and there are some reasons for using it instead of the Sharpshooter, it varies according to your own personal play style  I do not use the Sharpshooter or Reaper, due to my high ping that comes with living in the countryside, but I have seen many players do exceedingly well with both mechs.

Posted Image

I'll see you on the battlefield. You won't see me.

#26 Overmaster

Overmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostThe8BitFox, on March 21 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

I agree that the current ability doesn't seem to achieve anything, and that it should be changed.
But, please, please, type in lower case. The original post looks a mess and detracts attention from itself with a distinct lack of any presentation. There are numerous spelling mistakes, and it's clear that the post was rushed.

If you want to make this change implemented or even noticed by the developers, at least make it presentable, and perhaps put it in the Suggestions board, as opposed to General Discussion.

However, the Reaper is still a decent mech, and there are some reasons for using it instead of the Sharpshooter, it varies according to your own personal play style  I do not use the Sharpshooter or Reaper, due to my high ping that comes with living in the countryside, but I have seen many players do exceedingly well with both mechs.

I'd still like to see the Reaper carve a better niche for itself in the mid-range and hit-and-runs. The KE-Sabot was an amazing start (I love it!!) but it lets down on all other accounts. The new video today seems just as confused on what the Reaper is supposed to do as we are.

Personally, I currently run the MG Turret and Hologram combo. With all the lag, most people assume you aren't taking damage or moving properly because of bad ping- if even for just a few seconds you can get away and repair. However, since trying to use this tactic I can't agree enough with some of the recent complaints about items lagging. The precious second I have to spin around, deploy both items with a special macro, spin back around and zip around another corner before the pursuer catches up is deadly when it delays. Not only that, but I really wish it could be thrown in reverse or while boosting. It's just a little wonky as it is. Even so, I'm liking it better than the recently suggested Detonator and Hologram combo.

With the new promo codes, I think I'll pick up an Infiltrator and try that Grenade Launcher + IED rubble grenade thingy combo. I like burst.

#27 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:40 AM

all i have to say is soz 4 bad grammar
but i don't write in english often and you know what people say_
practice makes perfect .
well i will take your advice and i will improove
ty for your consern.
so from now on can we get feedback about this post_

Edited by toPOULAKItsiou, March 21 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

#28 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:54 AM

Overdrive is useful for mid-long-very  long shots before you get slug.

#29 Dead3yez

Dead3yez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:04 AM

been said before. but i feel like typing some fuzzy bunny.

mostly just use the ability to shoot my KE-Sabot unscoped at closer ranges. I don't mind the ability, as I find it useful sometimes. But something like a lower cooldown could be decent.

Edited by Dead3yez, March 21 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#30 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Post_Caffeine_, on March 21 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Overdrive is useful for mid-long-very  long shots before you get slug.

I keep hoping so anyway, mostly I just mash the ability button on the off chance that something beneficial is happening. I feel like the AM-SAR hits more with the ability active, but I can't be sure.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#31 ZeroCore

ZeroCore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBehind you in my Reaper

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:06 AM

Meh, i would love to see that you could chose abilities on all mecha's and dont had just 1 but thats just me, anyways, i think the reaper should stay as it is (IMO)

#32 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:08 AM

I've finally adopted the Reaper into my repertoire, the test drive gave me a bad impression.
I'm certain that until the devs alter the AM-SAR, I'll never go back to that primary.

While the overdrive may straighten out the aim of the KE-Sabot, AM-SAR, and slug, my play-style leaves overdrive just waiting to be used...
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#33 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationYour Mamas House

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:14 AM

I really enjoy the idea of the reaper and its role and have one at lvl 15 at the moment but the mech truly is pretty weak compared to all other mechs and could use a definite boost.. I'm not sure what that could be other than the already suggested powershot or fire rate of the primary (maybe a speed boost or fuel in order to get the hell out of the situation which you definitely do a lot in this mech)....I still wanna keep leveling this mech but it seems to need a little something without a doubt...I do see a few and I mean a very few supremely successful reaper pilots out there but nothing like the other classes and types..... I love the mech so I do hope something is giving to it in the way of a boost.
Posted Image
Rockin Out with my Cockin Out Since Alpha!
I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
H.S.T
Wandering Gunz Death Dealer #35 "I got no Strings"

#34 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostMajor_Victory, on March 20 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

I love my reaper, there is no projectile the slug and Ke-Sabot are hitscan weapons.so I don't get your " you need to lead your shot" comment.
Lucky you who get to play with bellow 50 ping...

Reason he has to lead is probably because he has ping above 70. If you have ping above 100, it get's really noticeable. Easily dealt with though, you just get used to it. Now if it exceeds 200...
Posted Image

#35 ZeroCore

ZeroCore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:22 AM

Well, problem is most people optimize the mech quite wrong and dont use full use of it, i dont think i play it good, but i can take down everything i encounter, yes the mech is weak, but also one of the most powerfull there is, my Reaper is optimized for minimal radar signature distance + movement + holo + emp, i distract oponents with my holo, shot them most mechs take serious damage until the notice where i am, emp and i finish them off, thanks to my movement speed and minimal radar, also the abilitiy is good with the ''Ripper'' on mid range.

#36 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:51 AM

I FORGOT TO MENTION!
my usual ping is 200+ Q,Q
gj internet
Posted Image

#37 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 11:58 AM

Mister ZeroCore i too have use this build you mentioned with the minimal radar
and it works well
BUT from my expirience the moment you go to medium range you are dead
i say that cause agen from my expirience this is the range that everyone is useing hellfire missiles.
And i have to say i hate this secondary.but that's just me and my personal hate on this secondary.
Posted Image

#38 ZeroCore

ZeroCore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well, hellfire is nasty, agree, but you dont stand in the midle of a field as a reaper :3 just ended a game with a score 14/1/17 >.< i think the reaper is fine as it is, you just need to dodge like * (censored on purpose :3)

#39 toPOULAKItsiou

toPOULAKItsiou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGreece Athens

Posted March 21 2013 - 12:53 PM

heh nice score and i can say the same about the humor
Posted Image

#40 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted March 21 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think that the Reaper is a difficult mech to do well with. I died a lot leveling it but it was and still is my favorite mech to play because it is very fun to use. I feel bad for some of my teammates in those matches where my Reaper was mid-level and I died too much. With Slug I only bring it out when I have a ping below 100 and my team needs a boost. It is very strong with slug if you work cover while staying aware of the whole fight around you and help one teammate after another in turn. Taking 1/3 of the armor of 3 different enemies means that if your teammates are decent they will each win their 'duels'. It feels really good to see two or three assist messages pop up in quick succession.

I would like to see an ability called 'Stand your Ground' that is a slow Heal Over Time. Maybe 25 hp per second for 10 seconds that stacks with repair orbs and the repairing mechanic. Somehow it should be balanced so that it is not a decider in any one fight - to get the most out of the ability a pilot would have to stay alive by moving constantly and still be reliant on finishing fights with teammates in turn to get a break in the action to let the hp build. If you were a bad pilot or pinned down it would not make much difference at all, but if you are finishing fights you could pause a couple seconds before re-engaging and actually have enough hp to be a real help instead of a minor distraction. In the Reaper I often take down one or two enemies very quickly only to be totally wiped in one second as soon as the enemy is aware of my presence. Rinse and repeat. Not a bad way to rack up a score, but it seems to me that hanging in there longer even if I had to hang back for a bit would benefit both sides of the action. For the Reaper's enemy it would be nice since a smart Reaper pilot would take one enemy and bow out, then re-approach the fight. I would get fewer kills but fewer deaths as well if the Ability encouraged a more restrained 'dancing' playstyle. Right now it is too similar in pace to the Berserker, imo.

If I had bad ping and no Slug I would use the RPR, Detonator, and Repair Orbs and still did pretty well. Stay with the team and always know what corner you are about to dodge behind. Seriously: Walk to stay off of radar and when you fire, be ready to dodge behind cover. If they miss - forward dash out, pop your KE-Sabot and Detonator and re-evaluate. By then your dodge is ready or you can walk while firing the RPR on auto until the KE is ready to fire. Pop and dodge is the Reaper's motto. I often kept the RPR streaming and hit the KE as soon as it was ready while never stopping movement.

I have found that playing Seige or Training with all my mechs is great for learning weapon cooldown times. I love staring at the reticle while firing on the battleship in Seige and just working the mouse buttons as fast as the cooldowns allow. Do that enough for it to be programmed into your muscle memory and profit.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Beta, Community, Forum, Exclusive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users