HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

April patch preview -Technician, "Valkyrie", New PhysX

News Patch Press Preview

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostxXHadroncutterXx, on March 27 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Oh and let's not forget the optimizations and internals. It's funny how soon a single mech will become stronger than an entire fuzzy bunny wall.

Hey now, soon you'll be able to one shot walls.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#122 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:52 PM

Valkyrie with textures...

IT JUST WON'T BE THE SAME!
< TEXT-FIELD >

#123 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 27 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on March 27 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Valkyrie with textures...

IT JUST WON'T BE THE SAME!

The screenshots did look pretty nice though. :D

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#124 Maniac

Maniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 09:10 PM

Holy fuzzy bunny that PhysX demo looks fantastic. Also I love the contrast between the new Valkryie and all the other maps. I am super excited for this patch!

#125 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted March 28 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 27 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostSirCannonFodder, on March 27 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on March 27 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

View PostOmega22, on March 27 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

AND WHAT ABOUT SHARPSHOOTERS WITH TECHNICIANS HEALING THEM ... !
If a Tech is healing a backline SS, it's not much a problem, as they're wasting their potential because it's easy for a SS to retreat and repair quickly.

Think about what happens when they get put right behind the front line. You'll have Raiders and Scouts that never go down. Turret Brawlers that can't possible die even when multiple people shoot them.

Several weapon combos overheat or come close to overheating against the standard repair rate. What will happen since the Tech has a faster than normal repair rate_
I wanna say that the devs wouldn't do something like this without thinking it through first, I really do, but considering all the other times they've done exactly that, I just can't do it with a straight face.

I'll do it for you then. They think things through before they do it.
CB1&2 Vulcan on the Assaut/CRT, 7-second EMP, the Oceania/Asia merger, OHKO alpha strikes, and about a dozen other things I could name all seem to disagree with you.

Edited by SirCannonFodder, March 28 2013 - 04:17 AM.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#126 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 28 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostSirCannonFodder, on March 28 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

CB1&2 Vulcan on the Assaut/CRT, 7-second EMP, the Oceania/Asia merger, OHKO alpha strikes, and about a dozen other things I could name all seem to disagree with you.

Its called a beta right. So in that there are different stats and weapons and combos tried and changed over the course. This is because they think of how to implement something work on internal balance. Now internal balance doesnt show how we use something so something that was balanced in their internal testing may not be balanced when it comes into the live server.

But they do have to do a lot of thinking and balancing work before they even put it out. Some cases it doesnt reflect when we get our hands on it and are able to use it to devastating effect. There is a lot of thought that goes into adding theses new weapons and features but Internal testing is not the same as our testing on live.

#127 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 28 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Its called a beta right. So in that there are different stats and weapons and combos tried and changed over the course. This is because they think of how to implement something work on internal balance. Now internal balance doesnt show how we use something so something that was balanced in their internal testing may not be balanced when it comes into the live server.

But they do have to do a lot of thinking and balancing work before they even put it out. Some cases it doesnt reflect when we get our hands on it and are able to use it to devastating effect. There is a lot of thought that goes into adding theses new weapons and features but Internal testing is not the same as our testing on live.
So you don't think that at some point, when deciding what weapons to give the Raider, they should have perhaps added the numbers together to see if it could kill a B-class in 1 hit_ Or that when they had been given pages upon pages of feedback that the EMP was close to being brokenly powerful, that the solution was to make its effect last even longer_ Or that maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't like having to play roulette with the quick match matchmaker to see whether they'd be put on a server with 60 ping or 360 ping_ Or that a weapon which was balanced for delivering a large amount of sustained damage over a short amount of time offset only by overheating quickly, perhaps didn't belong on a mech whose entire special ability revolved around reducing the effects of heat_

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#128 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 28 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostSirCannonFodder, on March 28 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 28 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

So you don't think that at some point, when deciding what weapons to give the Raider, they should have perhaps added the numbers together to see if it could kill a B-class in 1 hit_ Or that when they had been given pages upon pages of feedback that the EMP was close to being brokenly powerful, that the solution was to make its effect last even longer_ Or that maybe, just maybe, people wouldn't like having to play roulette with the quick match matchmaker to see whether they'd be put on a server with 60 ping or 360 ping_ Or that a weapon which was balanced for delivering a large amount of sustained damage over a short amount of time offset only by overheating quickly, perhaps didn't belong on a mech whose entire special ability revolved around reducing the effects of heat_

The Raider is an outlier because it didnt go through the same process. This mech was left in the hands of the Design team to balance for various reasons that could not be avoided. Now What the design team think is cool doesnt always translate to balanced. That being said the Mech is still fairly balanced its just the Detonator that pushes it over the edge. But then the Detonator does this for many many weapon combos, not just the Raiders. The raider could be toned down a tiny smig but not a lot. But this thread isnt necessarily to discuss the Raider.

The Oceanic Region is not set up correctly. I completely agree with you. It should be setup like the US total option where everything from the US east and US west is shown. The Oceanic should show a group of servers for each server set location for all game modes. not just one per merged region.

The Raider did not receive the same treatment as the other mechs before it came out but as far as I know this is not the case with the Technician especially since its out there that they wanted to put it out before the game went into open beta but didnt because it wasnt done enough yet. They have spent time working more on this mech.

#129 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on March 28 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

But then the Detonator does this for many many weapon combos, not just the Raiders.

That's more what I was getting at, I just named the Raider because it's a particularly egregious example. The other combos might not one-shot a B-class like the raider, but they come fairly close, and they can still OHKO an A-class. Although I suppose that might be less lack of fore-thought, and more deciding they want to go in a direction I don't care for.

Posted Image

#130 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:33 AM

new physx_
the game is hardly optimized as it is.

before adding stuff like that why dont they optimize the engine in general & add the advanced graphics back first_

i dont get it, but welp.
"The World is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind"

H.P. Lovecraft

#131 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostD3thpool, on March 28 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

new physx_
before adding stuff like that why dont they optimize the engine in general & add the advanced graphics back first_
i dont get it, but welp.

I wouldn't expect it until late this year, maybe even early next year.

#132 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostSylhiri, on March 28 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

View PostD3thpool, on March 28 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

new physx_
i dont get it, but welp.

I wouldn't expect it until late this year, maybe even early next year.

the physix or the comeback of advanced graphic options & general engine optimisation_

H.P. Lovecraft

#133 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostD3thpool, on March 28 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

the physix or the comeback of advanced graphic options & general engine optimisation_

Destructible Terrain Environment.

Edited by Sylhiri, March 28 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#134 D3thpool

D3thpool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostSylhiri, on March 28 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostD3thpool, on March 28 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Destructible Terrain Environment.

i see.

well , i couldnt care less for that i guess.
could be a nice addition but it will be very system demanding for many people.
as long as this cant be used for strategic tactics in game it should be fine i guess.

H.P. Lovecraft

#135 Bombdig

Bombdig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:54 PM

I was hoping they'd tighten things up a bit.
Give C-class the ability to see their selected item during turret mode so they don't accidently shoot a repair charge at an enemy.
Give Detonator a sphere of damage so close range use hurts the user as much as the target.
Perhaps allow HE mine detonation as well.
Give EOC an arc (like the Rev GL) so long range use means less instant spray and instead aiming up like a mortar.
Have the Siege announcer mock people who shoot the battleship. (okay I'm kidding, how about) Create a required training tutorial for Siege showing the points potential for fighting on the AA.

About this update though,
Bring on the technimagician and it's fountain of healing. http://www.penny-arc...omic/2007/09/21
I'm hoping we can shoot bullets through walls if the shots are powerful enough or the walls thin enough.
The central area of Valkyrie was very unforgiving with all cover being on the outskirt except for the missile battery in the center. The missile batteries not having the cover structure has me worried about SS craziness instead of hill capture; this should be interesting.
I am now tempted to join one of those empty servers just so I can run around and "Blow up all the things"

Edited by Bombdig, April 10 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Patch, Press, Preview

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users