HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How do I enable the Oculus Rift in Hawken_

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gnarbarian

gnarbarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:15 PM

How do I enable the Oculus Rift in Hawken_

#2 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:24 PM

I don't think its implemented and able to be enabled yet in the current build.  I think it requires a special build.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#3 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 06:03 PM

Doesn't work yet apparently: https://community.pl.../page__hl__rift

#4 gnarbarian

gnarbarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 04:05 PM

I posted this in the other thread too but it's more relevant here:

Hawken was supposed to be one of the games officially supported when the dev kit launched.

http://www.kickstart...me/posts/296537

As you can see, the linked video has been taken down : P

I would have to assume that they had built support against the old hardware before the tracker and panel were changed and they haven't gotten around to updating the code to support the new hardware.  Maybe they're even waiting on their own dev kit to arrive before they can make the necessary changes.  I'm sure they also wanted to wait for the official SDK to launch in order to future proof their code changes for subsequent versions of the rift. It's also possible that they don't plan on supporting it at all now after the hardware change.  

Any response from the developers on the matter would be welcome by me.   No hard feelings either I understand how this stuff goes. I simply hate being in the dark about it.

#5 techno_destructo

techno_destructo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hawken was recently being shown as the game demo for Oculus at GDC. What I put together from the many videos and interviews is that the demo was running a custom build with a semi-customized map (enemies standing around for people to shoot at). There was no HUD in any of the demos and it was said that the HUD was not ready for prime-time. Stereoscopic 3D is working and cockpit head movement works. Nothing else has been shown to the public at present.

Aiming is kind of a weird thing when you introduce stereoscopic depth. This is the reason that TF2, while working right now, has seven separate aiming modes. I have not heard any official word on these forums regarding how far along the Rift has been integrated.
Delete Yourself.

#6 Lorphos

Lorphos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:22 AM

Why isn't the official support giving a statement about the missing Oculus Rift support in Hawken_

Here's a little reminder:

The support was promised for the launch at 12/12/12. That's more than 5 months ago and Hawken will no longer be the first game to have Oculus Rift support. However, Hawken would still be a great VR experience if done right.

Have the plans been scrapped_ Is it still being worked on_ Come on, let us know! :o
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit / OS X 10.7.5 (dual boot), i7-2600k, 16GB, Radeon HD5870 Eyefinity 6, 7.1 audio, T.Flight Hotas X, Oculus Rift preorder

#7 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 22 2013 - 03:50 PM

Its being worked on, they will get to it when its right.  I'm sure you'd rather have it working correctly, than a broken unusable mess.  Just give the people time to test the system, its not as easy as just plugging things in, for one, they had to redo the entire cockpit models, because of it.  I'm sure many other things were impacted.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#8 Tug

Tug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02 2013 - 08:35 AM

How about an official statement_

I have my dev kit here, and I am looking for inspiration.  If I am able to make a release before these guys can make Hawken Rift ready, that will be very embarrassing.

#9 BlackBaron

BlackBaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 05:17 AM

I actually managed to get it to work 'fine'. The reticle is off from where you are actually shooting and the mouse+headtracking controls are confusing. But it works.

Im thinking about making a tutorial for those interested.

#10 michaeleconomy

michaeleconomy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 04:15 PM

any updates on this_

#11 AnhNhan

AnhNhan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts