HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

sketchbook - bombdig

Art Fanart

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bombdig

Bombdig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've enjoyed sketching mechanical things for most of my life. It has been interesting to mimic the Hawken style as my art is usually more surreal. Here's my made-up mech design with details. I chose to omit most of the details from the shield-arms and submachine gun to focus on the chassis details. My concept was to make a bullet-based mech that somehow made a weaker gun much more powerful but still balanced by range & heat. Please enjoy,
Posted Image
I'll post more if people want to see. I'm still toying with the possible item that would come with the mech but I haven't decided yet. [Heat/smoke field to detonate explosives & overheat mechs, fuel-drain trap, shield, or perhaps a 5-sec minigun]

Edited by Bombdig, April 08 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#2 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted April 05 2013 - 11:27 PM

this is rad. nice work
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#3 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted April 05 2013 - 11:50 PM

This looks great, I'd love to see more work.
Posted Image

#4 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted April 06 2013 - 12:42 AM

Can I beg a link to your online portfolio_
Posted Image

#5 Baslok

Baslok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Locationruhrpott

Posted April 06 2013 - 01:43 AM

that is a lovly c class man!!!!!

very good style mate, looks kalamity inspired

hope to see more of your stuff

Posted Image

#6 bzombie

bzombie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 02:49 AM

coool stuff man!! So happy to see more sketchbooks here!
Facebook page [Mecha Mornings]: Here
Sketchbook thread: New Here - Old Here

My Blog: Here
Posted Image

#7 Bombdig

Bombdig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the compliments. As to further art, I'll see what I can do. I was surprised how long (about 6 hours) the photoshop edit took to crop, shade, and rearrange things. I'm guessing you work fast when creating things, bzombie. It takes me a long time to get things done these days.

As for a portfolio, I never did finish one. Most of my college work is spread out in different storages; various digital programs & physical folders. I have a deviantart page but I rarely if ever update it. So perhaps I'll collect things here and on photobucket for now.

OOC: What's this Kalamity style_ I'd like to see.

Edited by Bombdig, April 06 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#8 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted April 06 2013 - 10:01 AM

I actually think this would fit within the game's confines...

"Heavy Dual MRG_"
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#9 Bombdig

Bombdig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostFrouste, on April 06 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I actually think this would fit within the game's confines...

"Heavy Dual MRG_"

Thank you, that's encouraging to read. Also HDMRG = Heavy Dual Magnetic Rail Gun. I'm imagining it launching either twin slugs or consecutive rounds that are punishing at close range. I'm not sure how hot the rounds would get but large fast moving white-hot metal shots would be neat to see as well.

I got bored on lunch at work so I doodled something then shaded lightly in Photoshop. Decided to switch from angular heavy to a more fluid lighter class. Also the graphic novel added tons of fun glossary terms to think about when making mechs and designing weapons.
Posted Image
I couldn't decide on how to finish the legs into feet or what kinda guns to put on it. I think a hunter-killer type mech with seeking weapons (Such as the homing assault rifle from The Fifth Element) or a wide AoE Timed Mine launcher type mech.

Edited by Bombdig, April 08 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#10 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 02:13 AM

I don't think magnetic railguns would produce much heat, especially on the slugs.  If anything, I'd think it'd act like the SA-Hawkins, not like "Blue Rose" from DMC4...

Also, those rifles were multi-purpose.  Don't ask about the little red button on the bottom...
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#11 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted April 09 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostFrouste, on April 09 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

I don't think magnetic railguns would produce much heat, especially on the slugs.  If anything, I'd think it'd act like the SA-Hawkins, not like "Blue Rose" from DMC4...

Also, those rifles were multi-purpose.  Don't ask about the little red button on the bottom...

huh_

Posted Image

#12 Baslok

Baslok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Locationruhrpott

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostBombdig, on April 06 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

OOC: What's this Kalamity style_ I'd like to see.

check his site

http://kallamity.com/

model briegel

Edited by Baslok, April 09 2013 - 07:24 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostSilentJacket, on April 09 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

huh_
Jacket, you've never watched fifth element_

#14 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:31 AM

Actually, there is a possibility that a railgun can produce substantial heat on the barrel. During a college Physics class, we took a couple of solenoids and chambered them together. We then ran power through the coils. When we placed a metal rod within this contraption, it caused the rod to shoot out the other side. It would only shoot about 3 feet, but it was, in a way, a magnetic rail gun. However, after a few minutes of continuous power being supplied to the device, we noticed an odor. We powered down the device and examined it, only to realize it was getting hot! It was getting so hot, in fact, that the plastic housing containing the solenoids was beginning to melt!

Now granted, I am not certain what kind of configuration a true combat-grade MRG would use, but if it did use a form of combined solenoid configuration like we used, the possibility of heat generation is good. Also, since this is a game, they could really do whatever they wanted in terms of heat gen. :)

Bombdig, that is a seriously sweet mech design! Hey devs! We got a live one over here! *point point*

Edited by ShadowGTR, April 09 2013 - 07:33 AM.

Posted Image

#15 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostFrouste, on April 09 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

View PostSilentJacket, on April 09 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

huh_
Jacket, you've never watched fifth element_

oh, naw I have, but it's been a while

also, I wasn't sure what weapon you were talking about

Posted Image

#16 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 07:59 AM

Assuming if it's of similar design.
I am unfamiliar as to what these "solenoids" are, might you clarify for us, please_

#17 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted April 09 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostFrouste, on April 09 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Assuming if it's of similar design.
I am unfamiliar as to what these "solenoids" are, might you clarify for us, please_

Yeah, I was only assuming if it was in a combined solenoid layout. Other designs (which I am not familiar with) might not generate much heat at all, for all I know. I was just sharing my exp with a combined solenoid (one solenoid inside another), and how it can get extremely hot. :)

In short, a solenoid is a tightly coiled wire often wrapped around a metallic core, which creates a uniform magnetic field. (pretty much quoted from wiki page for accuracy).

For the long story, see wiki link below. Warning, lots of science and math ahead. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

Posted Image

#18 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted April 09 2013 - 11:09 AM

Looks awesome. It's design seems to be very advanced compared to the others.

#19 Bombdig

Bombdig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 07:23 PM

Imitating 3-D in Photoshop with multiple angled objects is never easy. Luckily I'm patient when drawing lines. Maybe I should spend the time to learn another 3-D modeling program sometime. Any program advice is welcome as I have forgotten the last recommendation someone made. Here is what I've been messing around with while they work on the servers.
Posted Image
Still need to detail the shields and add weapons. Perhaps start to actually color and shade things. Thinking about removing a few more curves to go with a rigid & angular Sentium style mech.

Edited by Bombdig, May 24 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#20 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 07:47 PM

You've got that switched around, Sentium is rigid and angular, Prosk's designs are more organic looking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Fanart

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users