HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Healing through damage

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:46 AM

Lately I've seen several mechs outheal all attempts to damage them.  They've simply plunked down, started healing (sans tech), and ignored 10-15 second of sustained sharpshooter/scout fire.  One or two may have had an orb, but most were healing without items.

The hitmarkers (and the fact that I'm standing right there, firing into them) mean I'm not missing, but their health steadily increases.  The first time I saw the (assumed to be) bug, it surprised the healing player as much as it did myself - he was "just waiting to die", and instead healed to full through 3-5 tows, a detonator, and several heat cannon shots.

No idea how to replicate it, so not sure whether this post is useful.  Has anyone else experienced something similar_

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#2 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:55 AM

Are you sure it wasn't lag_ You got the information that you have been hitting the target, but had the server actually process that information_

Get your hard on.

#3 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:57 AM

It's possible, but my ping's not particularly terrible.  At worst, it would've been running 110-120 on East.  The encounters were also prolonged, so it's not as though they were single unregistered shots.

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#4 Stealth_303

Stealth_303

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:31 AM

I have witnessed this too. - But cannot confirm if it was lag or not that caused it.

I was a scout and found a B-Class on half health healing... I started whacking away with ToW and Heat, he stood up when he had healed and I had used my full heat cycle, then he started to smash me to bits, I ran...

Edited by Stealth_303, May 07 2013 - 02:33 AM.

Posted Image

#5 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:32 AM

Plunked down__  

Are the mechs in question Brawlers in Turret mode_  Because they regenerate health themselves. and do not require a tech.

Or are you talking about something else_
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#6 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:36 AM

I'm referring to the default repair ability of all mechs.

Posted Image   

#7 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:40 AM

Well this one time, I was playing as Cupcake <3 and had found a repairing Grenadier, who was around 60% (_) health. I let loose with my Submachine Cannon and Grenade Launcher...

Only to overheat, and the Grenadier was till merrily repairing away. Then an enemy Bruiser comes 'round and chases me off.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#8 TazzGo

TazzGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationÉire

Posted May 07 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on May 07 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

Well this one time, I was playing as Cupcake <3 and had found a repairing Grenadier, who was around 60% (_) health. I let loose with my Submachine Cannon and Grenade Launcher...

Only to overheat, and the Grenadier was till merrily repairing away. Then an enemy Bruiser comes 'round and chases me off.

I can relate, I've suffered the same fate, also in my Cupcake <3 (is it just me or does it seem like the cupcake <3 mech needs to have a <3 after it XD )
Posted Image

#9 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 07 2013 - 06:51 AM

I thought it was well known that the heal rate was too high because it stacks... but yes if someone starts repairing and a tech gold beams them you can throw everything at them and if they weren't at lower than 50 health they are going to live and you are a sitting duck with nothing left to do but run.

Pretty much I give up on hitting any target that is being healed and I only hit the tech or someone else in that situation. Hopefully the devs realize that stacked healing is ridiculous and they stop it from being so effective.

Posted Image

#10 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on May 07 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

I thought it was well known that the heal rate was too high because it stacks... but yes if someone starts repairing and a tech gold beams them you can throw everything at them and if they weren't at lower than 50 health they are going to live and you are a sitting duck with nothing left to do but run.

Pretty much I give up on hitting any target that is being healed and I only hit the tech or someone else in that situation. Hopefully the devs realize that stacked healing is ridiculous and they stop it from being so effective.

The OP specifically stated that there wasn't a tech around, so it was a single tech in healing mode outhealing all the damage thrown at him.

#11 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 07 2013 - 03:17 PM

I haven't seen this, but you can increase your repair rates by internals and optimizations.

Maybe the OP has internals that increase his heat generation.

#12 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've increased heat generation on my sharpshooter (not on my scout), but I've never had issues taking down healing players.  And it's not like I fired a couple shots then overheated.  I kept sustained fire on the targets for some time.  Nor did their health bars ever really drop: they kept increasing, regardless of being struck by sabot rounds, tows, heat cannon shots, and dets.  In other words, it wasn't as though they were near full health and outhealed my initial burst.  They were at low health and never dropped below their starting point.

My MMR's in the 2400's, so I've a fair amount of experience against well-spec'd players and the various healing tactics.  This wasn't that.

Edited by Nept, May 07 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image   

#13 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well, what are you saying then_  

Are you saying specific players are being able to not take damage while repairing, or is it happening to random players randomly_

Are you positive that there wasn't a shield in between you and them, because a few months ago I remember H0b0 posting that the shields did not show up at a great viewing distance, I'm not sure if any differences were made to the draw distance.

How close were you to them_

I think you need to capture video of this.

#14 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, it's not particularly useful as a bug report, hence the OP's last line.  It has happened too infrequently for me to notice much of a pattern.  Was more curious whether others have experienced similar issues - and apparently they have.

I'm positive that there were no shields involved, and that the situation was as I originally described: a mech healed through massive damage without external aid.  It has happened several times, and though one player seemed to be a repeat offender, the issue appeared mostly random.  A video would certainly be helpful, but it's probably not going to come from me.  Don't feel like altering my video settings and running the compression software.

To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone of hacking, or complaining about what's been a rare occurrence.  I'm simply alerting the developers to what may be a potential issue, and asking whether others have experienced something similar.

*Edit* To clarify the original post: "sans" is French for "without"; it has bled into the English language, so you'll sometimes see me use the term.  In other words, the mechs were healing using the default heal function (holding c) without any technicians, healing orbs, or shields nearby.

Edited by Nept, May 07 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image   

#15 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 08 2013 - 04:02 AM

Well, if you cannot provide video evidence to be analyzed or be able to recreate it then there is little anyone can do.  

Like I asked before, how far away were you_

You seem to not understand what I'm talking about with the shields not being displayed while zoomed.  Please watch, I think you will be surprised.

Also, its possible there were invisible walls or parts of walls between you and the target.  One way to know if you are doing damage is noticing the HUD flash a yellow circle image, and you'll hear a distinct audible cue (clicking sound) when that happens.

#16 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 02:13 PM

As I mentioned in the OP, I was receiving hitmarkers (the flashes and audible cues).  And no, it wasn't the shield bug.  The incidents occurred at relatively close range ("I was standing right there"), and I didn't maintain zoom while sharpshooting; instead, I zoomed separately for each shot.  I've experienced the issue several times from a few mech lengths away, with both the scout and the sharpshooter.

I have experienced shield issues before, but these incidents were distinctly different.  Thank you for your clarifying questions, though.  I'll make the report more transparent next time.

And as I said, I'm not complaining about these rare occurrences.  Rather, I'm hoping that enough people will notice these incidents for a proper bug report to be filed - perhaps others will even fraps it or find a way to reproduce it.

Posted Image   

#17 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 10 2013 - 01:11 PM

Interested to know your feedback following the change in heal rate of all repair charges!
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#18 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 10 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostScapes, on May 10 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Interested to know your feedback following the change in heal rate of all repair charges!

From the experiences I have had in the past 12 hours with it I don't feel a large difference. I think this may have more to do with the increase in health than anything since I am surviving with more health than usual in my staple A class mechs. To be fair I often heal with more than just one orb around if its TDM or MA. In siege there is a difference, but I still think heal stacking with the tech is a little too high unless thats intentional for gameplay.

EDIT: Just had several fights where the slower heal rate made a difference in the duel. I had more time to flush my opponent out of cover before they were able to heal enough to outplay me. In several of the duels my opponent actually lost because they threw down a health orb to heal and I was able to react. It used to be they could kite around that spot and heal enough to outplay, but this doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore. More duels to confirm this fully, but my suspicion is it won't have as huge an impact as it used to in 1v1 or 1v2 situations.

Edited by Leonhardt, May 10 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users