HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Any intended limits on signature image sizes_

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted September 19 2012 - 08:21 AM

This is the first forum I've come across that allows one image in the signature of any size.

Do you intend to set dimension restrictions and file size restrictions on forum signature images_ Or have you done so already_ If the latter is true, please add documentation in the forum rulebook or next to the signature customization field explaining the dimensional and size restrictions.

I'd like to make a signature banner but would like to know what the forum's allowed standard is.
Posted Image

#2 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:06 AM

Most likely 350 px width by 150 px height. Somewhere around there.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#3 BB089v2

BB089v2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:13 AM

I haven't seen any rules restricting signature image sizes. If what Ezio says is true, I most likely need to change my Sig. However, I haven't recieved any warnings about my sig which I have had for almost 3 days now. Certainly by now I should have recieved a message about it being to large if there were any restrictions. However, I would suggest not going too large. I agree with Ezio's size. For a sig, that should be enough.
Posted Image

#4 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:14 AM

Will this be finalised and added to the site's CSS template instructions for signature definitions_ Because for usability purposes, I'd highly recommend it. In the interim, I'll be more than happy to use your recommended dimensional restrictions.

Also, while we're on a related topic, what are the actual restrictions on forum avatars used for display_ I realize there is a 50kb Max file size and  200 by 200 dimension limit on uploads but I'm not sure if the  forum code does any compression or cropping.

Edited by Conquistador, September 19 2012 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostConquistador, on September 19 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

This is the first forum I've come across that allows one image in the signature of any size.

We'll be implementing a size limit the moment I get a chance to catch my breath. (Busy week!)
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#6 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:23 AM

I would, however, like to recommend a 500 by 150 signature size, since we all see in wide screen format these days, anyway. I used to run a forum in my college days and we found this to be a satisfying signature size. Just my two cents.
Posted Image

#7 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostConquistador, on September 19 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I would, however, like to recommend a 500 by 150 signature size, since we all see in wide screen format these days, anyway. I used to run a forum in my college days and we found this to be a satisfying signature size. Just my two cents.

Holy crap, font size. Good suggestion, will explore.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#8 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yea the 500 by 150 works as well, basically anything by 150. I came across a guy that was almost using an 8.5" by 11" as his sig yesterday so it will be good to see the limitations.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#9 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:39 AM

... I must have accidentally resized my post without realising it. My apologies!
Posted Image

#10 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 09:46 AM

did you also put your signature in your location or was that on purpose_

#11 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, that was on purpose. I'm still waiting on signature restrictions before I actually use the signature mechanism. All the Latin on my page is just placeholder text for now, in the grain of "Loren ipsum". It's merely to remind me to update it with something clever at a future date.
Posted Image

#12 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 11:03 AM

I doubt you'll be punished for something that hasn't been restricted yet. It's not like they can punish for ignoring an unwritten rule. You could always just put your avatar in for the time being and see if anyone has a problem with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users