HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN: Chronicles - Issue #2 Sepulcher

Art Community Project

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationThe Pen Is Mightier Than The Axe

Posted June 28 2013 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image

Vitrose [vahy-trohs]
Noun. Pharmacology.
A powerful stimulant that affects the central nervous system. Known side effects are euphoria, increased libido, anxiety, paranoia, depression, hallucinations, neurocognitive deficit, and depersonalization.

-Nautilus Corp

You never understood…what it feels like…to have this demon living inside of you, Eva. I loved Pieter…I love you. Eva…I love you. Please…

Sebastian awoke to the cold emptiness of his bed.

“I’m sorry” Sebastian whispered to the pearl sheets that now housed his languid frame.

Situated at the edge of Andromeda lay Block 5 of the Akryd complex. Once part of a glorious expansion, much of the periphery now lay in ruin from the perpetual clashes between the multi-planetary corporations. The only inhabitants to the area were those too impoverished to relocate closer to the heart of the city.

Relinquishing the tear-stained sheets Sebastian hastily slid on a set of clothes. The steel floor felt cold on his feet. Heading to the lavatory he contemplated the disheveled, unshaven man staring back at him in the mirror.

“Frakk me, you’re an ugly bastard” Sebastian muttered to himself.

Dozens of empty bottles lay scattered across the floor with a solitary bottle atop the sink. It beckoned to him as an old lover would, tracing the intricate maze of his mind, of his scars. Bringing with it a sweet release…

Abruptly a man in his early 30’s appeared behind him, placing his hands on Sebastian’s shoulders and leaning into his ear.

“Come back to bed, darling” spoke the man in a raspy voice. His face was peculiarly gnarled, with his right eye wrapped in gauze and nose severely broken. Blood dripped gently onto the floor.

“Piss off, Spaeler.”

“An alluring proposition, Sofia, although mind-frakking you would make for a smashing story, don’t you think_”

Several days after the death of his son and his wife’s exodus, Spaeler had simply appeared at Sebastian’s living quarters. Appreciating any company in the cold void he now occupied Sebastian welcomed the wanderer into his home. However, he had noticed a peculiar knack about the man; he always called Sebastian “Sofia”, the pet name given him by his ex-wife. Eva, you minx! It was soon after this Sebastian had realized that the man sharing his home and drug supply wasn’t real. Vitrose. Vitrolium. The elusive victories of Illal. Sebastian vividly recalled the bizarre exchange:

“Just what the frakk are you!_“ Sebastian had cried out.

“Cool off, Sofia” Spaeler listlessly responded.

“Why do you keep calling me that_”

“I think you know why.”

“What’s wrong with me_”

“The same as everyone else with your…itch.”

“Vitrose…”

“And in the amounts you’ve taken its astonishing you haven’t seen frakking goats.”

Eventually Sebastian succumbed to his fate; an endless cycle of corrupt dreams, Spaeler’s delusions, discussions regarding how to frakk a woman proper, Vitrose, and insuring the goats didn’t take over the whole of the frakk house.

“You haven’t the stones for it” replied Sebastian.

“Don’t give me any delicious ideas, Sofia.”

Quickly swallowing a few pills Sebastian proceeded to the decrepit parlor. Numerous phosphorescent bulbs hung from the overhead with chairs and paper littering the room. Suspended upon the walls were dozens of picture frames. A great number of them held photos of Eva and Sebastian, although a few once held images of their son. I miss you, Pieter.

“I’m headed for a walk, I think” Sebastian stated as he pulled on a coat and made his way to the entryway.

“Have fun, honey!” Spaeler called after him.

Outside Sebastian soaked in the pale, amber haze of day before spotting a pair of fighters roaring just above the skyline. Prosk had vastly augmented their patrols amid the seemingly endless raids by Sentium recon squads to test the weaknesses of their adversary. Every so often you could feel the resonant hum of an aerial battleship, a floating juggernaut bristling with weapons, hovering overhead.

Heading onwards Sebastian progressed around the periphery of the city, taking note of the inescapable Giga-Structure having conquered another district. Various corpses had been consumed by the inorganic shell with one in particular ensnaring Sebastian’s gaze; a boy of no more than four or five propped up by a steel support wall. The Giga-Structure had encased all but his face and neck with the boy’s eyes still desperately seeking solace.

After an hour or so Sebastian came across a crumbling plaza. The intricate stonework had been conquered by flora some time before with a cracked fountain standing as testament to years of neglect. It’s so peaceful here. Further surveying the tranquil spot he noticed a small patch of soil near where the fountain’s stonework had been broken up. Here. Sebastian then marked his way back home, back to the dark things within.

“Frakking goats! I don’t know how they got in but they’re here!” screamed Spaeler upon Sebastian’s arrival.

“Shut the frakk up!” Sebastian retorted. “There aren’t any…”

And then he saw them. Five of the vile bastards just sitting in the parlor chairs. Spaeler hastily pushed Sebastian into the entryway’s coat closet.

“How the frakk did they get in_” whispered Sebastian.

“I’m not quite at liberty to say” Spaeler evaded.

“What did you do_ What the frakk did you do!_”

“I may have inadvertently left the entryway open upon seeking…ah…fresh air.”

“You blacked…”

“Focus, man! We’ve been invaded!”

“Fine! Charge!”

Howling, Sebastian and Spaeler barreled out of the coat closet towards the invaders. However, the goats were nowhere to be seen.

“Bastards are probably hiding somewhere” proclaimed Spaeler.

“Frakk it. I’m going to grab some shuteye” Sebastian exhaled.

Spaeler quickly collapsed into one of the rogue chairs and set upon re-bandaging his eye.

“Say hello to Sandy-man for me then, yeah_”

In the ensuing night Sebastian found himself unable to sleep. Checking the fridge he slapped together a turkey on rye and vigorously devoured it whole. He then took several Vitrose pills with sink water and at last found evasive slumber.

Awakening to the delusional cacophony of his psyche Sebastian quickly slipped on the coat he had worn the day before. He found Spaeler arranging the last of their Vitrose supply into an outline of a boy on the desk in the parlor.

“Give my regards to the lad, Sofia” remarked Spaeler.

A few hours later Sebastian was once again at the intricately crafted plaza. Kneeling beside the stone fountain he gently channeled a small burrow in the patch of soil. Reaching into his coat pocket he withdrew a folder and carefully slid out an old photograph of Pieter. He was smiling. Happy Birthday, Pieter.

Author’s Note

Credit for the original artwork goes to Emmanuel Shiu.
Certain words were edited so as to not have dozens of fuzzy bunnies wandering about.
Please forgive any editing errors as the HAWKEN: Chronicles are still a work in progress.

Edited by Magnolia1038, October 12 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#2 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 06:34 PM

Reserved.

Edited by Magnolia1038, July 12 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#3 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 03:06 PM

Reserved.

Edited by Magnolia1038, October 31 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Aggressive_Sock

Aggressive_Sock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted August 17 2013 - 08:01 PM

T'was a scholarly read good sir

#5 mookie_o_riley

mookie_o_riley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationFlamerock Refuge

Posted August 20 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hey Magnolia, nice work. Can't wait to follow the story.
       all war is deception      

#6 Scarub

Scarub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted August 21 2013 - 09:01 PM

Well done, I'll be keeping an eye out for the next bit of the story.

#7 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted August 26 2013 - 09:44 PM

Great read...well done
meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#8 subtxt

subtxt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 01:51 AM

You got skills. Thanks for shareing.

#9 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies :) HAWKEN: Chronicles Invasion is now up!

#10 ThreadbareGames

ThreadbareGames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 12:47 PM

I like the grungy atmosphere you have created. Great stuff!

#11 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostThreadbareGames, on October 03 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

I like the grungy atmosphere you have created. Great stuff!
Thanks :) And if you haven't already done so there are other chronicles to check out that I've written as well!

#12 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted October 03 2013 - 01:27 PM

These are utterly brilliant and as far as I'm concerned, canon.  Excellent work, Magnolia.  I have a question, though; in Red Sand, the lead character's nemesis pilots a mech with parts you referenced that I probably joined too late to remember, the body of which you've since changed for new players' sake.  What was the name of it again_  A pic'd be nice too, and I kind of liked the implication of the ominous bad guy piloting an outdated but powerful mech that nods to the development cycle irl.

#13 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postcomic_sans, on October 03 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

These are utterly brilliant and as far as I'm concerned, canon.  Excellent work, Magnolia.  I have a question, though; in Red Sand, the lead character's nemesis pilots a mech with parts you referenced that I probably joined too late to remember, the body of which you've since changed for new players' sake.  What was the name of it again_  A pic'd be nice too, and I kind of liked the implication of the ominous bad guy piloting an outdated but powerful mech that nods to the development cycle irl.

Thanks for the kind words :) And the model that was used by Anatolia's nemesis was the Muller, or as most have come to know it as, the Raider:

Posted Image

When addressing the different types of mechs I use the description of the actual chassis (as the names we've all become familiar with in-game are actually nicknames).

#14 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted October 03 2013 - 10:27 PM

Oh, for some reason I thought you'd changed it from one of the retired models a while ago, not sure where my brain got that idea.  But thanks!

Edited by comic_sans, October 03 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#15 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted February 20 2014 - 06:30 PM

How exactly this affects the relative spectrum of the H4WK3N-verse, I am uncertain. Albeit, it is a good read overall. (Unstable persons can make for quite interesting tales, though it is a delicate topic.) ;)

Onwards! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Community, Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users