HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Raider's guns

Forum

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostFureur, on July 15 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I started my Raider 1 week ago, it s clearly not a newbie mech cause its low rate of fire, so no 2nd chance,so I v been fully toasted by every single godam TV recruit !!!!

I am finding similar experiences with leveling a new raider.

The time between vollies on both primary and secondary feels painfully slow.  If the target is close and you connect with full damage every shot you have a chance but that is often not the case.  

Burst potential is there on the raider, but playing a non 25 raider is definately much harder than it used to be and definately more difficult than any of the other mechs I have leveled recently.  (possibly an unfair comparison as they were all A's [reaper,tech,scout,infil]).

I think a possible adjustment for the raider that might address its low end short comings and high end monster burst potential would be to lower charge time on the bolt and eoc then lower the raw damage.  Shrug.

EDIT: What are peoples thoughts on having to recharge all weapons that can hold a charge everytime boost is used_

Edited by Goyo, July 15 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#22 Dread_nought

Dread_nought

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted July 15 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostGoyo, on July 15 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

What are peoples thoughts on having to recharge all weapons that can hold a charge everytime boost is used_

I find it highly irritating.
Posted Image

#23 havoc5

havoc5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted July 15 2013 - 02:21 PM

It's balanced. Charge weapons already have a leg up in the meta game. You can still dodge while charged. Letting people boost up around a corner to unload a full charge of w/e just turns every mech into a Blitzing Raider.

The act of charging is part of weapon usage, no different than an automatic weapon firing, and game design says you can't use your weapons while boosting (besides Raider special ofc).

Edited by havoc5, July 15 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#24 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted July 15 2013 - 02:49 PM

The Raider's weapons allow for the highest burst damage in the entire game, but this isn't necessarily where Raider shines over other mechs.  If Equipped with the T-32 bolt, the Raider can essentially put out more DPS than any other mech before overheating.  I run a Special Weapon loader on my Raider and rarely run into heat problems.  Keep in mind, this is with weapons firing and spamming until my enemies are taken care of.  I'm approaching this topic with extensive experience in organized play.  With the current Shield and Tech meta, Raider is one of the only mechs that can dish out enough sustained damage to remain a factor in longer battles.  Were I to try to accomplish this with any other mech, I'd overheat and be toast long before my opponents were taken care of.  The only other mechs that can accomplish this are Slug Rifle equipped Reapers and Sharpshooters, arguably the other two burst damage offenders in Hawken.  

Considering the aforementioned, we must ask why the mechs with the most burst damage also boast the most sustained fire potential.  Hawken is horribly imbalanced.  I've seen imbalance ruin games time and time again, and I don't want this to be Hawken's fate.  Once we get some details on the next patch, the devs will need to focus on balance if they want this game to be successful.  

I think if the Raider, Technician, Sharpshooter, and Reaper were removed from the game or at the very least modified, Hawken would be in a much better state with regards to balance. Remove the Flak from the scout while you're at it.

These mechs currently unbalance the game to a ridiculous degree and need to be looked at.  Bring back that Closed Alpha/CB1 feeling.  Heat-cannon/vulcan notwithstanding.

Edited by Xacius, July 16 2013 - 01:59 PM.

High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#25 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostXacius, on July 15 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

I think if the Raider, Technician, Sharpshooter, and Reaper were removed from the game or at the very least modified, Hawken would be in a much better state with regards to balance. Remove the Flak from the scout while you're at it.

I concur.

#26 DrunkenIdaho

DrunkenIdaho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted August 07 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostFureur, on July 15 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I started my Raider 1 week ago, it s clearly not a newbie mech cause its low rate of fire, so no 2nd chance,so I v been fully toasted by every single godam TV recruit !!!!

Keep at it.  I'm a newer player myself, but I've been starting to have some really good matches with it.

You have to minimize your exposure and wait for the right moments to lay down fire, but if anything it's OP.  A charged shot from the bolt plus a mirv shot at close range is a TON of hurt.  Only use the KLA as a grenade when enemies are farther out.  That damn blitz ability will get you out of all kinds of trouble, or let you run down anyone too.  Plus the emp can save your ass by making sure you get in a volley or two while the enemy can't.  Just gotta be mindful of the limitations, cause the advantages are huge.

#27 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 07:00 PM

You've gotta play hyper-aggressive as Raider. If you're not on offense, you're not much of a threat. You simply don't have the range to poke effectively or consistently (unless you're very good at EOC aim).
However if you're just learning Raider, it's fine to play a mixture of offense and defense (although leaning towards offense is reccomended).

Blitz is good to mess up the battlefield flow with and rush though chokepoints during the beginning of the "dead period" where the majority of participants are in cover healing.
It can also be used to save your butt by granting you unholy movement speed.

I also prefer the Reflak over the Bolt, but that's a personal preference. I just wish the Reflak didn't skyrocket Raider's heat though.

Edited by Duralumi, August 07 2013 - 07:01 PM.

After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users