HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mechs and their Counter Strategies

Beta Community Forum Game

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Intact0

Intact0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 01:48 AM

On topic:

I appreciate the effort put into this guide. It's a good start. Some tips:
1. Kill your darlings. The off topic inserts are fun to write, but make reading hard. Your main message gets lost in all the noise, which is a shame.
2. Terminology. Read up on it. You talk about "leading" when you mean "tempo" in military terms, or "initiative" in sports. Tempo or initiative is key in virtually every game or combat situation. It mean you can dictate the situation and fight on your terms. Leading is usually reserved for a technique in which you anticipate your target's location and shoot where you expect it to be.
3. Some formating (I know you are working on it). Perhaps ask Saturnine for some tips. That guide is pretty much the best practice around here.

I really feel that you have struck gold with starting this guide, so don't be discouraged by my critique. It's just that I feel you have got some good going and with some improvement and input from the community it could become a great guide. Front page material, like the class guide.

#22 Rajitha

Rajitha

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka / 6.9167° N, 79.8333° E

Posted July 25 2013 - 01:49 AM

View PostIntact0, on July 25 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

View PostRajitha, on July 25 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

How do you manually detonate the grenade launcher's projectile_

Hit the right mouse button again, like you would air burst the TOW.

Thanks :) Can't believe I missed that all this time. You just gave new hope to my partially retired Infil :D

Core i5-3470 | Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB | Gigabyte B75M-D3H | Seasonic 520W
Siege Tutorial | Hawken In Asia (gameplay videos) | South Asia/Southeast Asia Community
HAWKEN ASIA STEAM COMMUNITY!

#23 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostIntact0, on July 25 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

2. Terminology. Read up on it. You talk about "leading" when you mean "tempo" in military terms, or "initiative" in sports. Tempo or initiative is key in virtually every game or combat situation. .
I had no Problem to understand what he ment ^^ ... think outside the box, are you from the army_

#24 AYellowMinion

AYellowMinion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am not from the army and I have my own ways of explaining things. Will try, also, do note that this was made in 3 days, pure raw essay so it's not prettiest.
Our bunny who art thou in Illal, Hallowed by thy Cr-T Cockpit, / Your Rocket Comes, Your kill confirmed, / Give us this day our daily Assault Rifle Fire, /  And forgive us for KSing our teammates, As we have forgiven our fellow Techs for not healing us,  /
And do not lead us into High Rating Games, / But deliver us from dying from that one bullet,  / For your's is the Battlefield, and the Level 25 Mechs and the 25+ Kill Streak. / Fuzzy Bunny.

#25 AYellowMinion

AYellowMinion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 11:00 AM

I've told you the weaknesses of every mech but I didn't tell you how to counter them. So if you did strip it all down, there would be nothing left other than a description. Still debating whether I should release another guide or simply stop contributing.
Our bunny who art thou in Illal, Hallowed by thy Cr-T Cockpit, / Your Rocket Comes, Your kill confirmed, / Give us this day our daily Assault Rifle Fire, /  And forgive us for KSing our teammates, As we have forgiven our fellow Techs for not healing us,  /
And do not lead us into High Rating Games, / But deliver us from dying from that one bullet,  / For your's is the Battlefield, and the Level 25 Mechs and the 25+ Kill Streak. / Fuzzy Bunny.

#26 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostAYellowMinion, on July 25 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

I am not from the army and I have my own ways of explaining things.
.I ment the Intact0 guy^^

Edited by Flagge69, July 25 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#27 Intact0

Intact0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostFlagge69, on July 25 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

... think outside the box, are you from the army_

I am not in the military, but have played wargames and combat sports. I know what he meant, but needed to read over it a couple of times to make sure what AYellowMinion meant by leading. The explanation is fine, the term is just confusing. Especcially when others on the forums talk about leading shots with GLs and TOW and actually mean aiming where the target is going to be (the usual meaning).

Writing a guide is about getting people to understand. Clarity is key...

#28 Intact0

Intact0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostAYellowMinion, on July 25 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Still debating whether I should release another guide or simply stop contributing.

You started something good, perhaps you should take on more of an editing role. I'd be willing to update the counter for the grenadier and technician. You can paste and editing. In time, this guide could become part of the class guide.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Forum, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users