HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

South African Server Vote

Community Forum Game

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: South Africa Servers Vote (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have South African servers_

1. Yes (27 votes [87.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.10%

2. No (4 votes [12.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 N1nJa2202

N1nJa2202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted July 28 2013 - 12:47 PM

Here is the poll for my previous topic.

#2 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted July 28 2013 - 01:05 PM

Although i support your efforts to get servers in your own region, and any region for that matter of fact.
I do not believe it is a wise business choice to suport servers where there is little to no playerbase. Take a look at oceania and asia servers for example.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#3 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted July 28 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Posth0B0, on July 28 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Although i support your efforts to get servers in your own region, and any region for that matter of fact.
I do not believe it is a wise business choice to suport servers where there is little to no playerbase. Take a look at oceania and asia servers for example.
Maybe player base will get bigger when game gets out of beta and advertising begins. And also let us not forget that even though there may not be alot of players there those people in oceania, asia, sa cause alot of people to quit because let us face it noone wants to play in a laggy server. One of the reasons i quit playing was because i kept getting pissed off that one person comes with 200+ ping and all my weapons start acting funky.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#4 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted July 28 2013 - 09:58 PM

The ping is my biggest hurdle to getting people in South Africa interested. Some people just can't adjust to 200png. It gets frustrating when you have to lead hitscan shots.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#5 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:59 AM

Yep servers for asia and south america would be a better investment than south africa (atleast in my opinion), however, there are other games who manage this for example bf3 multiplayer server. 24 ping with 64 players NOT BAD! (servers located in russia, spain, france, UK, germany with 64 players are also lag-free). However Hawken servers get problems with 20 players even in close located servers.
I think a general improvement for the Hawken servers would be quite necessary.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#6 N1nJa2202

N1nJa2202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:13 AM

Prehaps maybe a match making option_ Or if there was a dedicated server option_ Server browser, etc.

#7 N1nJa2202

N1nJa2202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:15 AM

People could then start a server, or local hosting companies could host servers_

#8 R4ksh4s

R4ksh4s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOn top'a hill in South Africa

Posted July 29 2013 - 09:56 PM

Awesome we have a poll now.

Q. Shouldn't the poll be in the poll section _ A mod might just decide to move it xD

Before we can take any of this info and request/suggest a Hawken server in SA, we need to establish roughly how many gamers there are playing this game (as it stands in beta) and how many more potential players will be joining once the game goes Official in SA.

As well as let them know that in SA word of mouth attracts more gamers then any other form of advertising in SA. Players play what their friends recommend to them.

So, lets get active, find out how many of us there are playing Hawken in SA, and tune the Dev's to consider the possibility of a local server.

If its any consalation, this is a team based game, and if there is any chance of this game joining the DoGaming league, we're gna need a local server anyways. I play other DoGaming league games, and currently Hawken is causing quite a stir in the Telkom gaming community, maybe get telkom onboard aswell in terms of inducting the game into DOGaming League.

Yes / No _

Edited by R4ksh4s, July 29 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 14 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hmm.. what about deplying some few servers in Spain_ That might be of any help for you guys there in South Africa_

Just my 2 cents for now. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 14 2013 - 09:35 AM

I say no because I already said yes to South American servers. Don't want to overdo it with positivity.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#11 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted August 14 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on August 14 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hmm.. what about deplying some few servers in Spain_ That might be of any help for you guys there in South Africa_

I'd take a guess at about 20-30ms shaved off the ping. We have about 200-240 right now depending on how much throttling the isps are doing and which routes the packets are taking.

Lowest I've seen was 196.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 14 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postdavek1979, on August 14 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I say no because I already said yes to South American servers. Don't want to overdo it with positivity.

One thing does not cancel the other. These are different subjects.

Additionally, I assume that you guys are joining in matches on the UK region in order to have a better ping. Am I right on that_

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostThe_Silencer, on August 14 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postdavek1979, on August 14 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

One thing does not cancel the other. These are different subjects.

Additionally, I assume that you guys are joining in matches on the UK region in order to have a better ping. Am I right on that_

Hey don't take it so seriously, I was joking. I support one Hawken server per every country but I can't say it publicly.
Seeing that I reside in UK, yes, I mainly join UK servers, East US being next.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#14 Libra7

Libra7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostdEd101, on August 14 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on August 14 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

I'd take a guess at about 20-30ms shaved off the ping. We have about 200-240 right now depending on how much throttling the isps are doing and which routes the packets are taking.

Lowest I've seen was 196.

The ping is  ridiculous, i was getting 300-350 and still leveled up my Mech,  Yes and the main reason i stopped playing is because of the ping rate, i mean newbies (level 3) taking out a level 15 Mech with full health was just pissing off, i know i don't suck that bad.

#15 Wargasim

Wargasim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 03:59 AM

As a 'Saffa' living in the Uk for the last 13 years and having a ping of 150 - 450 on a high speed line I feel that while internet speed is obviously important there is something else causing problems with the connections.

Whether it be client or server side - something is not working as intended.

Nothing I love more that to gank someone in my scout only to see him take no damage and a moment later die in a flaming wreck /sarcasm off <_<

#16 Libra7

Libra7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted September 18 2013 - 08:31 AM

Comon Wargasim any pilot that does not have a scout in their Garage hates that mech, even wen my infiltrator was at level 15 a level 4/5 scout was infuriating so it's nothing personal when i say crash nd burn. Gonna hav to agree with you on the server side, sometimes i would like just tap the up arrow and move from the upper north quadrant of the map to the lower south in less then 2 secs (warp~speed............),i was so pissed becoming canon fodder for the Spaniards and Russians i quit, but maybe just maybe our country's lousy entry level LTE connections might give me the edge.

B) I'll be back

#17 Odium2453

Odium2453

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 01:47 AM

View PostN1nJa2202, on July 29 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Prehaps maybe a match making option_ Or if there was a dedicated server option_ Server browser, etc.

See the problem is that there will never be any player growth in South Africa because there arnt any servers. Most players will look at any game and ask to 2 things. Does this interest me_ Will i be able to play this_ and the problem is with question nr 2 because 200+ ping is almost half a second delay in South Africa and is horrible for any FPS game which will result in no player growth in this region because noone will try out a FPS game with half a second delay there is no point so in the end its gona come down to no servers no growth as simple as that. We dont know how many people will actually play this game but we wont know cause people wouldnt even bother coming on the form as u can see on the amount of people who voted and there is obviously more than 21 people in South Africa playing this game.

So my suggestion is that Hawken talks to valve or who ever runs there servers and produce Trail servers for South africa and see what the actual player growth will be. The game is still in beta so as tesing on the game resumes as it go's from beta to the actual complete game supply the servers and we the South African community of Hawken are given better chance to advertise this game and see what the actual player growth will be and not estimate it threw a simple poll vote who noone will pay attention to. Hawken is not that big of a game in South Africa yet because of those factors but it never will be a Big game in this country unless you make it possible for people to actualy play this game like every other region meaniong with a ping of 40 for example.

To sum it all up Give South Africa servers for atleast beta phase and see what the actual growth is noone will play a FPS game with 200+ ping

#18 MasterGrix

MasterGrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 10:28 PM

Talk about getting off topic around the edges :D  We in South Africa can never join a overseas server no matter how close. Our throughput speeds just wont take it. A local server is the only option. Getting our local ISP's involved to host local servers is a good idea. Hawken already has a custom browser setting running in their game. So adding that won't be an issue.
But here is a little fun fact for everyone.
Dota2 on steam also didn't have SA servers in the start when it was in BETA. South African players were next to nothing(also because of their invite-only period they had) But how quickly did that not grow_ How fast did the SA servers get added _ Now just under 600,000 people are playing everyday. South African player base equals South America's player base, That says something.

#19 Libra7

Libra7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted March 13 2014 - 08:18 AM

This topic just adds to the dulls feelings i get when i think about Titan fall(They just had EA the dam thing!!!!), anyhow you guys really think we have a chance at SA servers for Hawken, even thought i get 220- 240 ping on a good day, i would still play this game on bad day. B)

#20 MasterGrix

MasterGrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just shows you how awesome this game really is, and the potential it has :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Forum, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users