HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tecnician nerf

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#21 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

My point here is that the mech itself is not the problem, people with poor tactical thinking are.

It's vastly apparent when a team has a tech and one that doesn't, same with the Sharpshooter (I'm talking about the actual good ones not the ones that stand in one place and fire across the map). Having a tech on your side means that all your teammates within the area of said tech can recover faster and have a "oh ****" button as a fallback (almost kill someone, green beam denied that). It has a sticky beam that allows it to heal while still in cover which limits the "squishiness" that the mech is supposed to have and it can focus entirely on dodging with barely any trouble, this is without mentioning self healing. Also repair charge, manual repairing and multiple tech beams can stack.

Also the fact that just the technician existing shoved a wrench into trying to balance C class health and defense options and makes sustained weapons even less effective then burst. I don't envy the devs trying to balance that out. I'm sure there are several other reasons why that I can't remember from past posts.

Edited by Sylhiri, August 25 2013 - 08:54 AM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#22 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted August 25 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostRahh_Vende, on August 25 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Honestly, i want to punch people in the face for their whining about Technician. Seriously, can you stop_ It won't be removed and it's ability won't be changed. More than that, the mech itself's already really weak. Oh, and one more thing:

Any mech + Tech = Any mech + Any mech ~ 2 = 2.

Just the about the Tech_ Come on, mate. No offense intended but how is it any more annoying than the discussions about EOC/SS/sield/walls_

And if that equation about 2 mechs would be true, Techs wouldn't have any impact in the outcome of battles. But they do.
We still have a week before the next patch, just enough time to continue ranting about the stuff we think are broken.

Jokes aside, Tech isn't as bad as it use to be. Although I stated before the Tech came out that some of its mechanics would teach player bad habits and I still stand by that. Sticky doesn't teach aiming, no heat build while right click is held and there is no target doesn't teach heat management and self regeneration while healing others doesn't teach the tech player to heal. I am also worried that these bad habits will spread to non tech players. Already I have seen players (myself included) completely forgo repairing when a tech is around. I think the tech is an interesting idea and a nice addition (still needs tweaks), my only worry is how it will effect how the players learn to play.

#23 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 25 2013 - 09:05 AM

my only worry is how it will effect how the players learn to play.
I think other players will "teach" them by constant killing.

But i agree - we should wait for the patch and see what happens then.

Posted Image

#24 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 25 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostRahh_Vende, on August 25 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

And if that equation about 2 mechs would be true, Techs wouldn't have any impact in the outcome of battles. But they do.

And if that equation about 2 mechs would be true, Pilots wouldn't have any impact in the outcome of battles. But they do.

There, I fixed that for you.

Posted Image

#25 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 25 2013 - 11:22 AM

it's just like this: If you do an 1vs1 and you are almost dead and the enemy too and a Tech joins (enemy tech) you still could kill the enemy wich you just fought against before you die, but that IMBA heal makes it impossible.

Edit: I also think that all this could be fixed by making the beam not sticky.

Edited by FakeName, August 25 2013 - 11:22 AM.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#26 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 25 2013 - 11:48 AM

Oh, about this..

Can you imagine how difficult the healing process will be without the sticky beam_ I mean, have you ever tried to heal a Scout or any other A-class mid-battle_ That's really hard because usually A- pilots don't know/care about the Tech behind them - they just dodge and boost all over the place so 50% of the time you're basically trying to chase and catch them back in you crosshair. B- and C- classes are not so horrible in that relation but still it takes some time to understand your teammate's movement.

Anyway, removing the sticky beam wil require the damage/healing speed buff in exchange. And we sure as hell don't want that, right_

Edited by TheVulong, August 25 2013 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image

#27 the420jew503

the420jew503

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted August 25 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Tech added a great property to the game, the need to think before shooting. If you enter a battle and there's a C-Class mech and a Tech coming at you, retreat and think about how to combat it. If your teammates are still battling the two head-on, there's a very good chance you can flank and take them both out from behind. Either they will keep going the direction they're already going, or generally, just the Tech will turn around to fight you leaving the C-Class all on it's own. Quit complaining about the Tech and use some brain power to fight it.
Money is good. Hawken is good. I like cookies.

#28 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Oh, about this..

Can you imagine how difficult the healing process will be without the sticky beam_ I mean, have you ever tried to heal a Scout or any other A-class mid-battle_ That's really hard because usually A- pilots don't know/care about the Tech behind them - they just dodge and boost all over the place so 50% of the time you're basically trying to chase and catch them back in you crosshair. B- and C- classes are not so horrible in that relation but still it takes some time to understand your teammate's movement.

Anyway, removing the sticky beam wil require the damage/healing speed buff in exchange. And we sure as hell don't want that, right_
Except sticky beams aren't the only method you can use to create a healing system.
Imagine that!

There could be shotguns that fire a HoT, or grenade launchers that explode into a AoE burst for a insta-heal. Fact is, there are plenty of options for skill based healing mechanics that can work just as well as sticky beams. And when they're are skill based, they also have the potential to be even more useful and powerful when used intelligently, something that a no-skill auto-aim mechanic is incapable of.

When people talk about getting rid of the sticky beam, they're not just saying it shouldn't auto-aim and the rest of it stays. They're saying that the entire heal-beam concept should be replaced.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#29 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postthe420jew503, on August 25 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

If your teammates are still battling the two head-on, there's a very good chance you can flank and take them both out from behind.

So what happens if the C-classes teammates are firing at you and the tech has half a brain to check his blind spots_

Also are you suggesting a 3v2 in that scenario_

#30 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postthe420jew503, on August 25 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

The Tech added a great property to the game, the need to think before shooting. If you enter a battle and there's a C-Class mech and a Tech coming at you, retreat and think about how to combat it. If your teammates are still battling the two head-on, there's a very good chance you can flank and take them both out from behind. Either they will keep going the direction they're already going, or generally, just the Tech will turn around to fight you leaving the C-Class all on it's own. Quit complaining about the Tech and use some brain power to fight it.

So you run into any other battle with your eyes closed and hope for the best_

#31 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:22 PM

There could be shotguns that fire a HoT, or grenade launchers that explode into a AoE burst for a insta-heal. Fact is, there are plenty of options for skill based healing mechanics that can work just as well as sticky beams. And when they're are skill based, they also have the potential to be even more useful and powerful when used intelligently, something that a no-skill auto-aim mechanic is incapable of.
Go drunk, home, you're AJK.

When people talk about getting rid of the sticky beam, they're not just saying it shouldn't auto-aim and the rest of it stays. They're saying that the entire heal-beam concept should be replaced.
Too bad this won't happen.

Posted Image

#32 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:29 PM

I don't see why you can't replace healing with a defense buff as long as the beam is on the player like someone suggested before, easy to change in and less bull****.

#33 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostSylhiri, on August 25 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't see why you can't replace healing with a defense buff as long as the beam is on the player like someone suggested before, easy to change in and less bull****.
Bruiser is already has that kind of ability.

Posted Image

#34 Xer06siX

Xer06siX

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationRunning around like a Chicken.

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:53 PM

Very valid points. (except the Tech bashing)  ><

I feel sorry for the other team that plays without a tech...it's all in how you use it.

The green beam is a life saver...don't tell me you weren't grateful when a tech saved your butts!

Previously known as §îlvër-§érpênt

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Candy! Taste like Chicken, if Chicken was a Candy![/font]

Posted Image

"Since they are all going to go crazy anyway, may as well send crazy people in the first place and save the trouble..." -M

#35 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Bruiser is already has that kind of ability.

C-classes are also supposed to have it too, but they can't give it to any other mech.

Sharpshooter and Berserker (not sure if the C-class one is working or not) also have around the same style of ability.

#36 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted August 25 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Oh, about this..

Actually its interesting that you bring up trying to heal an A-class, that is a whole other topic by itself. A-class's are currently the top mech class to use as they can get in and out quickly and dodge around others, so why would you need to give health support to a class that is already considered the best_ Let me put it this way, the need to heal a class that was designed to keep moving isn't something that a healer class should focus on, as appose to a heavier/slower class, the B and C types, that are more likely to be targeted and take more damage because of their slower speed.

If the Beam itself were to stay and sticky removed, in a way it is like an indirect nurf to the A's and a way to encourage teamwork a bit more. With the removal of sticky, it teaches tech users to aim, prioritize and coordinated with other team members better I.E. maybe a combo tech,C,C could help hold the line while the fast A's can flank off the radar because now they don't have a tech glued to their butt blowing their cover.

#37 SethStaples

SethStaples

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well. all I'm saying is please don't start begging for nerfs of any of the mech's in the game. I do believe that the creators of this game know what they are doing. They knew what they were doing when they made this awesome game and they knew what they were doing when the made every mech in this game. Maybe they have future plans to create other mechs that will/can counter the Tech's skill.BUT, begging for the game to be changed to make it easier on YOU and YOUR play style is a very very very fail move. What it will lead to is the demise of a great game over time. Example ( Nerf that mech. OK. Wait why the hell did you nerf the one I liked that one, you better nerf this one and this one too then. DEV. Ummm OK, there. What the hell why did you nerf that one and that one those are MY favorite two, I want you to buff this one if you are gonna nerf these two. I have seen it over and over again on sooo many games. Just play the game and enjoy it. If it needs to be fixed they are smart enough to know that and fix it. Don't cry. Don't beg. Don't whine. Don't destroy this awesome game. Please.

Edited by SethStaples, August 25 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#38 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted August 25 2013 - 05:32 PM

One way to fix the Technician is to first remove the random spread from the redox and possibly make it travel faster and/or have a larger AoE. The redox is too difficult to use for something that's supposed to be the most newbie friendly class.

Second, make the repair torch shoot like the fixed redox. Repair mode is a stacking HoT and damage mode is a stacking DoT. The repair torch is no longer as mindless. Yet the Technician is still friendly to new players as the primary and secondary weapons shoot exactly the same and thus there are fewer basics to learn before becoming effective.

#39 MsNorthernStar

MsNorthernStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUS/RUS

Posted August 25 2013 - 09:18 PM

I've heard I'm going to like my tech even more after patch with new daily assists bonuses :~)

Bring back Mayhem servers!

when Evil returns... so shall we.

"When Diplomacy Fails"
http://vr-gaming.org

#40 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 25 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostTheVulong, on August 25 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Honestly, i want to punch people in the face for their whining about Technician. Seriously, can you stop_ It won't be removed and it's ability won't be changed. More than that, the mech itself's already really weak. Oh, and one more thing:

Any mech + Tech = Any mech + Any mech ~ 2 = 2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users