HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken Meets Steel Battalion Controller

Video

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 02:34 AM

After goofing with the code and reviewing other things, I finally got a set up for Hawken to work with my Steel Battalion Controller. It would have been easier if Hawken allowed third party controllers other than just an Xbox360 and PS3, but with some trial and error, I got it working for the most part. I hope to have more of the code finished up so that side dashing and back spinning is made doable in the current setup.

While it took awhile to get used to, here is a quick video explaining my control setup along with footage of me using the controller. I look forward to suggestions on what to do regarding improving the controls.

http://youtu.be/UmrN9CJlMEw

#2 Coelacanth

Coelacanth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 04:28 AM

looks fun, even if it isn't as effective as kb+m

#3 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 06:18 PM

For the most part, it's because I'm litterly having to recreate the controls. I've played using an XBox controller, and was rather impressed at how well it handled. Granted, the engine knows I'm using a gamepad and acts like it as well in the sense that the way aiming is done feels different than with keyboard and mouse. Since I am having to emulate keystrokes since Hawken doens't allow third party controllers (though after reading the configuration files, they could VERY easily), it's a bit tricky.

I think one problem with aiming is sensitivity. I either have it too high or too low, and finding the middle ground is annoying. I'm hoping to release my code soon so people can perhaps improve on where I left off.

#4 IlIl

IlIl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 08:23 PM

Been using the PS3 controller and on the same fine-tuning.

Everything from the gamepad is golden (well above kb) but the right stick will always fall behind the mouse. It would be nice to have more support from the game though.

#5 HackNFly

HackNFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:03 AM

What software did you use to get it to work_

I wrote some software to get the SB to work on Windows 7 64 bit.  But when it came down to it, the SB controller was inferior to most joysticks I had used before.  The resolution is just too poor on the sticks, and for a behemoth of a joystick with over 32 buttons.  There's only like 4 you can actually reach without taking your hands off the sticks.

#6 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted September 12 2013 - 09:05 AM

i love it

Edited by angryhampster, September 12 2013 - 09:07 AM.

--[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#7 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:51 AM

this would have been perfect for the original.version of the game, wich was a great reminisence to steel.battalion ... good old days

#8 Kureno

Kureno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 12 2013 - 09:54 AM

everyone is so worried when playing with controllers because of the score k/d/a ratio.

Do you think the pilot is using keyboard and mouse hmm_

EDIT: Some people enjoy realist and fun gameplay over your own performance in the game.

Edited by Kureno, September 12 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#9 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted September 12 2013 - 09:57 AM

i like having interaction with games..

if i can pilot a mech with 2 sticks, buttons on the sticks, a gas pedal for boosting or strafing, another pedal for jumping...

then i can live in my cave all day... and when the nuclear holocaust comes, i'll still be in my room playing hawken.

when the nuke comes towards me, i'll get out of my cave, fap to the explosion coming towards,and die in acid while screaming...  with a smile on mah face.  that would be my happy ending, and that's how i want to leave this world.  =)
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#10 Flagge69

Flagge69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postangryhampster, on September 12 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

then i can live in my cave all day... and when the nuclear holocaust comes, i'll still be in my room playing hawken.
when the nuke comes towards me, i'll get out of my cave, fap to the explosion coming towards,and die in acid while screaming...  with a smile on mah face.  that would be my happy ending, and that's how i want to leave this world.  =)

wow, dude  O.o ... here, have this meme :)

Posted Image

#11 havoc5

havoc5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm that might be fun in the offline bot thing, but ending every game with a 1:20 score (and I'm being generous with the 1 kill) would piss people off no matter how immersed they feel.

And I miss the old HUD :(

#12 TruePoindexter

TruePoindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:21 AM

Very awesome though I think you would have more success in MWO than Hawken with that setup since MWO is a lot slower.

Now if only From Software had kept the controller functional for the latest Steel Battalion instead of using the Kinect. Maybe included some USB adapters... oh wait that would make sense wouldn't it_

#13 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 05:22 PM

Whoa... I missed pretty much all the responses after I took a hiatus to do some other work. I know the thread is a bit old, but I might as well fill in the remaining spaces with some answers and an update.

I ended up setting the analog stick on the right control to either shortcut an item or (after toggling) act as a standard 'Left stick' like from most other game controllers. Unfortunatly, after the latest update, the game moves too quickly for the SBC to be able to compete and my hopes got crushed after 10 matches.

View PostHackNFly, on September 12 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

...The resolution is just too poor on the sticks, and for a behemoth of a joystick with over 32 buttons.  There's only like 4 you can actually reach without taking your hands off the sticks.

The drivers were from here. The actual mouse movements are being done by XPadder. As for the resolution, yeah it isn't the best. I had to poke the code of the drivers for some better goodies but for the most part it is still pretty useful.

View Postangryhampster, on September 12 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

i like having interaction with games..

if i can pilot a mech with 2 sticks, buttons on the sticks, a gas pedal for boosting or strafing, another pedal for jumping...

Pedal for strafing... man if only I thought about that...

View PostTruePoindexter, on September 12 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Very awesome though I think you would have more success in MWO than Hawken with that setup since MWO is a lot slower.

The drivers actually had settings for MWO.

#14 HackNFly

HackNFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostFlameSoulis, on December 30 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

View PostHackNFly, on September 12 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

...The resolution is just too poor on the sticks, and for a behemoth of a joystick with over 32 buttons.  There's only like 4 you can actually reach without taking your hands off the sticks.

The drivers were from here. The actual mouse movements are being done by XPadder. As for the resolution, yeah it isn't the best. I had to poke the code of the drivers for some better goodies but for the most part it is still pretty useful.

Yeah, thats actually the code I wrote.  If you check the website, I made a few updates.  I found a bug in the code and increase the resolution 4 fold.  I also added an experimental mouse emulation mode that the people from MWO requested.  I ended up not liking the controller that much, its a nice novelty, so I do spurts of development.

#15 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostHackNFly, on December 30 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yeah, thats actually the code I wrote.  If you check the website, I made a few updates.  I found a bug in the code and increase the resolution 4 fold.  I also added an experimental mouse emulation mode that the people from MWO requested.  I ended up not liking the controller that much, its a nice novelty, so I do spurts of development.

Oh snap! I was able to get the drivers working without requiring setting Windows to debug. There was some libUSB authenticator that adds in the remaining info so Windows doesn't complain. I still had to use the debug mode for the vJoy though, but oh well.

I'm going to give an Xbox controller emulator a try and see if I can't pass most of the controls via that so I can get the aim assist that comes native with controller support. I'll definatly give the updated setup a try and see if I can give some support to it as well.

#16 MachinaMaw

MachinaMaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 06:15 PM

Don't know if you guys saw this already or not but here's the Mek-Fu Controller. I wonder if this thing will ever be in production.

#17 Tendrax

Tendrax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 10:47 AM

Oh, man, that thing looks flippin sweet. I already play using a single flight stick for movement/repair/boost/etc, so I'd be all over that thing if I could afford it. Hopefully it gets released. It'd be a shame if it stays as a prototype forever.

Edited by Tendrax, March 03 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Posted Image

#18 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted March 03 2014 - 10:49 AM

The MechFu controller is pretty much dead as far as I know. Nothings been heard about it in a long time.

Steel Battalion was awesome, good memories. Always loved the controller and wished they had made more games for it.

Awesome job OP, wish I had kept my SB controller now lol.
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#19 FlameSoulis

FlameSoulis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 04:13 PM

Surprised this has gotten more attention. Much wow.

I've been mostly tinkering with getting a better understanding on how the controllers interact with the game, so I've been goofing with how to set things up on games that require VERY accurate controls like KSP (Kerbal Space Program). It has also taught me a bit more about how certain controls can be interacted (like using the Tuner Dial and Gear Lever). It has all been very interesting and a very fun experience (got to land on the Mun with a rather small amount of issues).

I will return back to the Hawken configuration and give it an overhaul while tinkering more with XPadder so that the controller comes up as an Xbox360 controller (for Aim Assist support). I'm finishing up a tutorial on how to make a portable, wearable Raspberry Pi and will eventually do a simular video for KSP on the Steel Battalion Controller (heck, I just make it a mini series). Once they are out of the way, I'll give the script some updates and release it for all to use.

On a side note, I've noticed SB controllers going on eBay for under $90... with most missing the foot pedals (yeah, I have no idea either). Cheers!

#20 mechpilot6666

mechpilot6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 03 2014 - 05:12 PM

Yeah the Mek Fu died and exploded before it was realized. I was completely excited and had money saved away for the second that thing became pre-orderable. it was projected at 180$ and I was ready to throw my money at them. Then it died and was slightly resurrected over at Star Citizen and showed up on Rogue's website but is now without a price and has a "Concept" tag on it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users