HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hellfires: A poor design decision

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 09:17 PM

My thoughts on Hellfires aren't particularly relevant to the thread's current direction.  Figured I'd post them regardless, though.  Take them as you will.

I don't mind Hellfires in a 1v1 scenario.  What irritates me is their effectiveness from the sidelines.  If I'm engaged with an enemy, properly-positioned Hellfire users are almost guaranteed massive damage against me - and without having to aim.  Players who would otherwise be unlikely to hit me are suddenly striking my mech for 180+ hp.  Were they using any other weapon, my dueling movements and positioning would probably avoid most damage.

Put simply, Hellfires drastically reduce the skill differential between players.

Edited by Nept, November 19 2013 - 09:22 PM.

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#142 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 19 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostNept, on November 19 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

My thoughts on Hellfires aren't particularly relevant to the thread's current direction.  Figured I'd post them regardless, though.  Take them as you will.

I don't mind Hellfires in a 1v1 scenario.  What irritates me is their effectiveness from the sidelines.  If I'm engaged with an enemy, properly-positioned Hellfire users are almost guaranteed massive damage against me - and without having to aim.  Players who would otherwise be unlikely to hit me are suddenly striking my mech for 180+ damage.  Were they using any other weapon, my dueling movements and positioning would probably avoid most damage.

Put simply, Hellfires drastically reduce the skill differential between players.

That's a really good point, its probably the reason I loathe ECO for siege where the damn things can be launched uncontested from halfway across the map...

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#143 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted November 19 2013 - 10:07 PM

^^Nept....Agreed....I'd also like to add that when more than one Rocketeer and Bruser are on one or both teams, this to me just adds to the imbalance situation when I hear and see lots of HF's whizzing by my cockpit from different directions.
Let's face it, these two mechs are fun and easier to use than some of the others, which is why I see many in play and that's a good thing to a certain point.
But when the battlefield gets flooded with these guys it changes (for me) the way Hawken is really meant to be played....that's when it starts becoming less fun (for me)
These are two great mechs that with a bit of tweaking can still be very effective by figuring a way to make the HF's a little less of a lower skill weapon by changing it's mechanics slightly so it takes a bit more skill to use. (don't aske me how because I can't answer that)

I feel there are still many things in the game still needing refinement and more balancing, not just the HF topic and really hope all or most get addressed soon. (I know ADH is well aware and working on this stuff)
Right now I'd settle for my old HUD with orange dashlights. :)
*+

Edited by DieselCat, November 19 2013 - 10:09 PM.

Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#144 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted November 20 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on November 19 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostTeljaxx, on November 19 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

How about making it so that you have to wait for the full lock on, or not all the missiles track the target_

Pretty sure the hellfires already work like this.

They kind of do, but it is so inconsistent and unintuitive that it feels more like a bug than a feature. And it seems that it only happens if you fire just barely too soon after the lock finishes. If you fire during the lock on process, none of the missiles track at all.

I think increasing the lock time to 2~2.5 seconds, and adding an indicator to show as each missile locks on would work much better. It would really solidify the individual missile lock idea as an intended mechanic, and it would also increase the skill requirement of the weapon.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users