HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How are mech attributes derived

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:24 AM

I assume if you added up points for heat sinks/weapons loader/aerodynamics/armor/hydraulics/etc. you'd get the same number for every mech_

Is the hitbox size accounted for in these points_  i.e. do I pay points to have a smaller hitbox_  From my approximations, I don't think this is the case_  

Are weapons factored into consideration_  Does a Flak cannon cost more points_  Again, it doesn't seem to be the case_  

The key considerations though regarding balance is to see if points are equivalent_  Is 1 point suspension=1 point Armor_  

Are all points equal or should exceptional abilities become more costly_  In classic D&D for example, going from 17 Strength to 18 strength was a huge gain in benefits (whereas going from 10 to 11 was negligible).  
This become important when you think about the Scout and Brawler.  The Scout may be balanced in terms of number of points but feels "too fast" vs. the Brawler who's got a huge fuel tank and lots of health, but for the most part plays "too sluggish."  (I haven't played Brawler since last hotfix so it's probably better now).

Do we ever want a system where you can design your own mech's attributes.  Perhaps you buy Chassi parts for the franken-mech too!
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#2 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:29 PM

No the points are not equal.  Light mechs get the least (by a small amount) and heavies get the most.

I'm not sure however if all mechs in the same weight class get the same amount.

Edited by PhysicsCrime, December 17 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#3 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted December 17 2013 - 09:51 PM

It looks as you're right.  I did a comparison of Scout vs. Brawler.  The Scout is built w/ 246 points vs. the Brawler's 256.

The breakdown is someone wants to check my math for scout is Armor (47), HeatSinks (9), WeaponsLoader (0), Fuel tank (26), Boosters (67), Generator (19), Hydraulics (50), Aerodynamics (1), radar (10), Cooling Units (1.4), Suspension 27.

For the Brawler Armor (105), HeatSinks (-1), WeaponsLoader (0), Fuel Tank (59), Boosters (40), Generator (27), Hydraulics (33), Aerodynamics (0), Radar (9), Cooling Units (-1.4), Suspensions (-14).

I used the CRT as the average for counting Suspension and Cooling Units.  I used a 100 as the starting point for Heat Sinks.  

I suppose the larger hit boxes perhaps account for the 10points a Brawler gets_  

When I have a chance I'll look at the other C classes.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#4 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 03:24 PM

I wouldn't reach any final conclusions about skill points at this time. The devs say they want to make tuning options as unique as possible for each class, including tuning options that would only work on a particular class. In example, the Technician's Repair Torch replacing Weapon Loader.

However, I like the idea of higher levels requiring more skill points. I feel like it would mitigate the potential for one best build per class if getting all the high levels are not possible.

Edited by HugeGuts, December 18 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#5 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted December 22 2013 - 06:12 AM

From game balance perspective, a Brawler has 10 more effective tuning points than a Scout.

Are these points worth the Scout's other advantages: smaller hitbox and more rapid turn rate-cap_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users