HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Vanguard

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GrizzlyOne

GrizzlyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 01:52 PM

Is the Vanguard any good_

I ask this because when I use it I find it incredibly underwhelming and honestly kind of bland/genaric, like what kind of playstyle are you even supposed to assume_

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:17 PM

Vanguard is excellent, being one of the fastest C class mechs available.  Play aggressively with it, as its weapons are very good in CQC, and with your large health pool, you should outlast the opponent in CQC if you're a competent pilot with the Vanguard.  It's more of the front line C class mech designed to fight alongside the faster classes, as opposed to the other C class mechs (Rocketeer and Grenadier), which are more suited for the support/suppression role. Brawler also belongs in the same category as the Vanguard, but it's much slower than it.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:30 PM

I wasn't impressed when I got it in the Vanguard Initiative... I'm not now.

I play it less than any other class.

#4 HubbaBubba9849

HubbaBubba9849

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 02:37 PM

Spliff, you've got to use the Vanguard's turret mode. It has the highest frontal damage reduction at 55% (upgradable to 60% with the final ability upgrade) but, because of that, it also has the highest rear damage increase so you've got to use it where you can keep enemies in front of you or have your back to a wall.

Edited by HubbaBubba9849, December 17 2013 - 02:38 PM.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far."
Sentium or Prosk_
Repair Charge / Repair Kit values

#5 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:49 PM

The vanguard is awesome. Its a very mobile c class which is a very desirable trait in this game. 2nd best turret behind the grenadier....as if turret mode is worth mentioning. If you are good at managing heat switch to the miniflak asap. I usually only switch to the vulcan sometimes on the more open maps. Its only really big downfall is its not great with heat. I have heatsinks maxed but tune with what feels good for you.

#6 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 01:52 AM

I actually like the SMC more: it lets me shoot from a longer distance than miniflak, doesn't force me to hug A classes (which is pretty dangerous) and still deals consistent damage.

I find it more versatile. (And I don't know why, but I feel like I have problem with Flak weapons: many times I use them at short range, crosshair on the target, and deal no damage)

And when you learn to use it, Grenade Launcher is awesome, for you don't need to score a direct hit to deal damage.

Other than that, you should stay with your team and keep boosting forward to flank the enemy.That is not always obtainable because it relies on what your team does, but when you can pull it off it's fun.XD

#7 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted December 18 2013 - 11:12 AM

Vangaurd has been my favorite since its addition in Ascension. Frontline with smc is fun; Mini-flak good too; no vulcan ever. I don't do the heatsinks. Something like generator, boost speed, air dynamics n some other stuff.

#8 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted December 18 2013 - 12:40 PM

Vanguard Initiate reporting in. Love the mech, great for holding down the AA and fast enough to get where you need it.
[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#9 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted December 23 2013 - 01:54 PM

Would it be too powerful with an actual ability instead of turret mode_

#10 Highchu

Highchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 23 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostPoopSlinger, on December 23 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Would it be too powerful with an actual ability instead of turret mode_

I think the Vanguard still has the best "Turret Mode" of all the C classes, but it still feels like only half an ability. If they decided to tac on another full ability on top of turret mode others might feel it to be too much. Its highly unlikely they will ever just decide to drop turret mode and give them all new abilities  though. Otherwise there would be no point of those giant plate shields.

#11 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 03:07 AM

yup, the C-class ability is a critical design flaw that the devs won't revisit on account of the art asset changes that would probably be necessary
(and there's probably an amount of ego involved as well; after all the reason we don't like some other designs in this game is because we're all apparently doing it wrong :rolleyes: )
instead we've seen a parade of tweaks to turret mode that do nothing to address its core failing: there's almost nothing that you can do in turret mode that you'd not be better off accomplishing being stood up and mobile
(the Vanguard turret mode is the best one but even that is super-situational, not to mention suicidal in higher tier matches)

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#12 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted December 24 2013 - 03:41 AM

it's amazing, i'm quite surprised there is no nerf vanguard topics

- lok'tar ogar -

#13 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 04:52 AM

Cs aren't popular
+
turret mode isn't popular
(even Vanguard)
+
all forms of turret aren't adequate, let alone OP, in higher tier games
=
no calls for nerfing
(which didn't stop ADH nerfing all turrets anyway, on account of them being super-OP in that special secret way of playing the game that only the devs seem to know about)

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#14 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted December 25 2013 - 09:01 AM

It is arguably one of the best C-classes.
Maneuverability of a B-class but with more HP. Absolutely fantastic weapon combos. Great turret mode stats.

The keys to being a successful vanguard pilot are understanding these points.

1. Knowing when you are biting off more than you can chew.
2. Knowing when it is a good idea to go turret mode and when it is not. If you never use its turret mode you should really reconsider.
3. Proper heat management. You are on the frontline, overheat in the middle of a fight and you are most likely dead.
4. Understanding how other mechs play, especially in CQC.
5. Knowing when to hang back and when to push in.

It is by no means a beginners mech. When played properly it is devastating.

#15 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 12:54 PM

It played well for me when I went through it.  Surprisingly, I liked it with the Vulcan and with turret mode.  Like it's been said, using turret mode is all about knowing when and when not to use it.  I also feel (could be wrong) like it is the "lightest weight" of all the C's - jumps higher and is more agile.

#16 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 01:24 PM

Never got around to it... only C Class I didn't play(I retired before I got to the vanguard)

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users