HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Raider, why can't I use this right_

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fpsnoobs

Fpsnoobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 11:25 PM

So after saving up 12k credits, I decided to buy raider, cause it looked cool and I really liked how the secondary can change modes
So far to be honest, I'm really disappointed, I almost never get any kills with it and always contribute pretty little to the team
There was that one time I get an awesome flank and managed to kill 4 people in a row but I feel I could've done that in almost any mech

whenever I get into 1v1 situation, I'd usually land a few shots from shotgun and miss like maybe 1 in 4_ Yet as soon as I miss any more then that or miss 1 secondary I'm dead, against almost any mech. I also bought the bolt hoping it'll be better but to no avail, most of the time I can't even get the second charge off.

I'm pretty good with rocketeer and berserker so I don't think my aim is the problem (or is it_) like I miss with tow quite a lot more then with the cosair and most of the time I still get the kill, I just wait for the heat lock also

It's crazy because when I usually fight a raider, if we both see each other at the same time, I usually get ripped, land like 2 tows along with never missing with machine gun and still lose or they'd get away.

What am I doing wrong_

#2 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 11:46 PM

1.  The Corsair's shotgun mode is weird because it still has travel time.  You have to lead targets by a lot more than you would expect.

2.  The best way to use a charging weapon is to charge it, pop out of hiding, and then fire your one charged shot, followed by uncharged shots as fast as you can.  Charging up is for popping out of cover or doing surprise attacks, don't do it while you're in the open.

3.  Blitz can be great for chasing down a kill, but it's also your best way to retreat.  The duration and cooldown will often prevent you from doing both.  Choose carefully.

#3 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted February 01 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostFpsnoobs, on January 31 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

So after saving up 12k credits, I decided to buy raider, cause it looked cool and I really liked how the secondary can change modes
So far to be honest, I'm really disappointed, I almost never get any kills with it and always contribute pretty little to the team
There was that one time I get an awesome flank and managed to kill 4 people in a row but I feel I could've done that in almost any mech

whenever I get into 1v1 situation, I'd usually land a few shots from shotgun and miss like maybe 1 in 4_ Yet as soon as I miss any more then that or miss 1 secondary I'm dead, against almost any mech. I also bought the bolt hoping it'll be better but to no avail, most of the time I can't even get the second charge off.

I'm pretty good with rocketeer and berserker so I don't think my aim is the problem (or is it_) like I miss with tow quite a lot more then with the cosair and most of the time I still get the kill, I just wait for the heat lock also

It's crazy because when I usually fight a raider, if we both see each other at the same time, I usually get ripped, land like 2 tows along with never missing with machine gun and still lose or they'd get away.

What am I doing wrong_

The Raider is a good choice but can be difficult to pilot at first.  You want to be aware of how you play it as what works with the Berzerker may not work as well with the Raider.  Never go airborne with the Raider except to get on top on structures.  Use cover to chip away at the enemy and watch for opportunities to blitz in on a weakened opponent, take him out and get back to cover quickly. The ability to fire while blitzing is very useful in closing on low health opponents. However, always watch your fuel as blitzing into a battle or out of harm's way can turn out badly if you run out of fuel at the wrong time.

You may want to start with the ReFlak and as you get more comfortable you can switch back to the Bolt. However, spamming the ReFlak will cause heat problems so watch your aim.  When you use the Bolt don't worry about fully charging your shots in CQC but make every shot count.

While the Raider is best suited for mid- and CQ combat it can be effective at whittling opponents down with the Grenade launcher and ReFlak. Practice until you have a good feel for the drop in Grenade Launcher mode. Take advantage of the strong AoE in that mode.  Use the MIRV in CQC but make sure you're already in that mode before engaging--don't switch modes while fighting as the time to switch may be enough to get you killed. However, You can switch mode while boosting or repairing.

Don't get discouraged.  Keep playing the Raider until you get comfortable with it and it will pay off for you.  Good luck!

Edited by caduceus26, February 01 2014 - 10:10 AM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#4 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 01 2014 - 09:18 AM

Your best tactic in low-level play is Alpha strike, then circle or trade shots while facing but moving to an oblique (facing right while moving left), allowing you to lead; if you can alpha and get the opponent to flee in a straight line, you can run him down shooting his back.

Stick with it: but the Raider will become a bit of a glass cannon in the new release, with health down at 450; more like an a-class, so I suspect some adjustment in playstyle is due for the Raider.
Posted Image

#5 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on February 01 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

Your best tactic in low-level play is Alpha strike, then circle or trade shots while facing but moving to an oblique (facing right while moving left), allowing you to lead; if you can alpha and get the opponent to flee in a straight line, you can run him down shooting his back.

Stick with it: but the Raider will become a bit of a glass cannon in the new release, with health down at 450; more like an a-class, so I suspect some adjustment in playstyle is due for the Raider.
Can I read where this is posted please_ I never heard about this.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#6 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostLightangel112, on February 01 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

https://community.pl...e-to-kill-poll/

Watch this:  http://twitch.tv/the...hecockpit  (the 1/29 episode), if you have an hour to spare.

Edit:  I think this gets posted formally on Monday (a developer's update post, probably from Zamboni Chaos)

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, February 01 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

#7 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 11:45 AM

Mech armor and dodge timers after the next patch:
A:  300-ish armor, 1 second dodge cooldowns.
B:  500-ish (raider at 450), 1.2 second dodge cooldowns.
C:  700-ish (brawler at 750), 1.4 second dodge cooldowns.

Full changelog on Monday.

#8 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostWarlordZ, on February 01 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

If this is true(Which I hope it isn't) then we are going to get a lot of hating on the forums because on Eco and Bazaar Hellfires will be having a field day against A classes.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#9 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 06:36 AM

View PostBazookagofer, on February 01 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

If this is true(Which I hope it isn't) then we are going to get a lot of hating on the forums because on Eco and Bazaar Hellfires will be having a field day against A classes.

They're reducing missile count and impact, IIRC.  Pretty much dropping weapons values across the board - even the Raider MIRV loses traces.  Nerfing the GL 'into the ground', reducing the TOW slightly.  

Give [HWK]Van a listen on the twitch Cockpit show, if you can't wait for Monday (I couldn't).
Posted Image

#10 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted February 02 2014 - 09:51 AM

It is true.

Edited by caduceus26, February 02 2014 - 09:52 AM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#11 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 02:16 PM

It very much is, but they're also changing all of the weapons.  Hellfires in particular are being nerfed.  Also, dodging won't consume fuel anymore.

#12 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted February 02 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on February 01 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Watch this:  http://twitch.tv/the...hecockpit  (the 1/29 episode), if you have an hour to spare.

Edit:  I think this gets posted formally on Monday (a developer's update post, probably from Zamboni Chaos)

My internet says that link was taken down. : |
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#13 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostWasabi_Wei, on February 02 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on February 01 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Watch this:  http://twitch.tv/the...hecockpit 1/29 episode), if you have an hour to spare.

My internet says that link was taken down. : |

Looks like ADH's forum picked up too much to enclose in the /URL tags.

Try this:

http://twitch.tv/the...hecockpit
Posted Image

#14 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted February 02 2014 - 08:02 PM

That works. Thanks!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#15 JaeBrawler

JaeBrawler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 05:57 PM

Just bought him tonight. Didn't even know bout the update, until I launched the game earlier.

I was sooo disappointed, after loving the bruiser and before the rocketeer. First match was a let down, hated the slow fire rate. But decided to stick with it a couple more matches before i go back to Bruiser.

Maaaan, think I love this thing now, lol after the 2nd match I was like hmm okay, I can work with it. 3rd match I was getting kills elft and right. That grenade thing doesn't lock but damn it does so much dmg, ppl run from one direct hit, Lol and I get to chase em down and still keep firing lmao

The heating thing keeps him in check, so im guessing i have to invest in heat cooling with this guy_

What are some good internals that suits Raider best_

#16 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:22 PM

Jae,

The tuning is being removed from us soon, if not immediately, and the mechs will be tuned/locked for tuning by HWK.  

Raider is getting health reduced to 455, and the shotguns (both primary and secondary) are getting adjustments, as part of an overall game balance adjustment.

Manage your heat a bit better - shoot the ReFlak when you are on-target, use the KLA Corsair when you can hit with it; consumables (such as the Extinguisher) are soon to be Co-Op mode only (not in a player-vs-player game).

Happy Raiding!
Posted Image

#17 thebloodgod0

thebloodgod0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 11:33 AM

the best 2 play-styles (siege mode) for the Raider are Hit-and-Run and Peek-a-boo
-Raider has massive burst damage so its good for damaging the enemy and let your teammates finish him off (work best with the EOC), but make sure to get a direct/close hit on the target, you don't have to shoot the Corsair rightaway, just make him an easy kill for your near by teammates. Combining with the Advance Armor Fusor, you can contribute to your team by standing on the AA with 2-digit health and getting kills/assists just by shooting down at the enemy and then hide (No self-repair much here).
-The Corsair has awesome AoE so in corner game, you can even finish off a full health B class with only 100ish health left (Again,work best with EOC). Also remember to watch your radar ALL THE TIME. As a piss poor accuracy player, shooting the ground where the enemy will be in about 1 sec seems to be quite effective. Don't forget to hide after your shots and use your radar to your enemies in check, make sure you don't get flanked by some other dudes or the same one you just shot at because you don't see him. So the less you see your enemy directly the higher your chance at not taking ANY damage from him.
-Raider's Blitz can be used to hunt down weak enemies and run away, these 2 things are the most basic, something every decent Raider pilots know. But in a 1vs1 fight, Blitz can give you a huge advantage and turn the table even in open area, makes you feel even more of a dancer than an A mech cause you can shoot while dancing at the same time (swing your swag).
-Raider's Blitz can also help your team take the AA in about 1 minute. If you see 2 teams fighting intensively for the AA, go Blitz (suicidal siege players :P) disrupt the enemy and maybe even kill one of them, but don't forget to critically damage the others. C mech with a tech behind him are the priority targets. If your team is smart enough, they will push in and take the aa. And ask a medic to help you if you do have one, he can keep alive even after the blitz since you'll be shot at by 2-4 guys at the same and there won't be any need to heal anyone else but you (you'll be the only one getting shot at here).

#18 JaeBrawler

JaeBrawler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. I like Raider so far now that I played a couple more matches with it. Was just so different from the start after coming off of Bruiser and Rocketeer, even Fred.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users