HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Berserker: My thoughts on it during this patch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 05:46 PM

So all the mechs armor points have been sliced to almost half, tuning removed to level the playing field...or so it seems to me... as a pilot who mains the berserker most of the time nowadays thanks to this patch, Taking down B and C mechs can be SHOCKINGLY easy if you know how to "dance" around their attacks. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: (My zerkers equipped with an air compressor). There was a match which i teamed up with a trio of Berzerkers and a duo of scouts(makes 4 zerkers and 2 scouts in a 6 mech team) vs a team comprising of 2 a mechs like us, and the other 4 were the slower B/C mechs.

Halfway throughout the match it seems the ones piloting the B mechs get themselves thrown around and ripped most of the time...It was as if we were deliberatly targeting them to cash in some free points...until they decided to "If you cant beat them, join them" and start to play their A mechs against us...I feel that thanks to this patch it seems the B-mechs and C-mechs have pretty much lost their  "Shine" and it now becomes a "dodge and spray" game dominated by A-mechs...Maybe there has to be a difference in skill...rather than the  "B-mech that just got nerfed" that determined the outcome.

I have wanted to purchase that raider....or maybe hold back that HC for the incinerator when it comes out in the next patch. But it seems that may not happen. :unsure: What are your thoughts on this_

#2 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 07:01 PM

I don't know. Against a competent C class a A class usually doesn't stand that much of a chance. However, this statement is not cut and dried. It depends on the terrain and setting of the engagement. In most areas in Bazaar the chances of a A class are dependent on if it can get a good first strike, like with a detonator, fully charged weapon if capable, and secondary. Now if you are on a map like Origin or even Up Town, though up town at times favors the C class more, the A class can really do a lot better. Considering the lessened dodge timer it can dodge back and forth behind a pillar easily.

I could go on, but the point I am making is that the A class can't dominate completely ever time and on ever map. The maps are different and made for different combinations of mechs.

On the note with the Raider. I find that I can't play the it as I used to. Face hugging is out. Against a C class, except a Rocketeer perhaps, it will have a tough fight. It seems to be a constant theme about a need for a really good first strike. I don't think it is possible to one shot a C class, except with traps set by a Pred, so it is essential to either disable it's functions or to hit him so hard he can be taken down in seconds. yet, if you use the Raider against an A class that is a different story. As long as you don't miss you should be just fine.

Just a couple of my thoughts.

#3 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 09 2014 - 08:21 PM

View Post86, on February 09 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

So all the mechs armor points have been sliced to almost half, tuning removed to level the playing field...or so it seems to me... as a pilot who mains the berserker most of the time nowadays thanks to this patch, Taking down B and C mechs can be SHOCKINGLY easy if you know how to "dance" around their attacks. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: (My zerkers equipped with an air compressor). There was a match which i teamed up with a trio of Berzerkers and a duo of scouts(makes 4 zerkers and 2 scouts in a 6 mech team) vs a team comprising of 2 a mechs like us, and the other 4 were the slower B/C mechs.

Halfway throughout the match it seems the ones piloting the B mechs get themselves thrown around and ripped most of the time...It was as if we were deliberatly targeting them to cash in some free points...until they decided to "If you cant beat them, join them" and start to play their A mechs against us...I feel that thanks to this patch it seems the B-mechs and C-mechs have pretty much lost their  "Shine" and it now becomes a "dodge and spray" game dominated by A-mechs...Maybe there has to be a difference in skill...rather than the  "B-mech that just got nerfed" that determined the outcome.

I have wanted to purchase that raider....or maybe hold back that HC for the incinerator when it comes out in the next patch. But it seems that may not happen. :unsure: What are your thoughts on this_

There are definitely some areas of the more open maps that favor a fast flying mech, although once you get into games with tougher, smarter opponents you will find mechs like the Brawler kicking your teeth in. So I'm just not sure the generalization here applies to all game types or maps. I would say some mechs are not worth using for instance; on a Last Eco TDM, a Reaper or Rocketeer (Edit: or a Zerk lol!) are going to be way more effective than a Raider or a Scout.

As far as the Raider goes: It got nerfed pretty hard but it is still my favorite to use. ECO Raider can be very effective if used right. I have a whole forum dedicated to Raider post-steam check it out if you get the time.

View PostDesert_Fox2, on February 09 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

On the note with the Raider. I find that I can't play the it as I used to. Face hugging is out. Against a C class, except a Rocketeer perhaps, it will have a tough fight. It seems to be a constant theme about a need for a really good first strike. I don't think it is possible to one shot a C class, except with traps set by a Pred, so it is essential to either disable it's functions or to hit him so hard he can be taken down in seconds. yet, if you use the Raider against an A class that is a different story. As long as you don't miss you should be just fine.

Just a couple of my thoughts.

You can still take C's handily I just recommend not switching to the MIRV to do it. The KLA will eat em up as they are a pretty big target. A's can be tricky especially up close. Overall i think this mech just lacks a solid role on the battle field. A defensive assassin as breadeffect put it.

Great posts guys!

Edited by LoC_TR, February 09 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#4 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 09:11 PM

Some map surrondings could restrict a mechs movements;

For example:
The windy tunnels that take you to the top floors of Origin(if you choose not to jump pad all the way up to the AA site)

The  "book rack" alleys at wreckage(inside the wrecked ship)

Any B or C mech can really set up the perfect opportunity to lure that annoying *insert any A mech's name* to those areas and force their movements to be either restricted to flying up and down, while u unleash your hellfires at the perfect moment when he does a dodge and realised "Oh fuzzy bunny, this dude trapped me in this alley, i cant strafe out of his explosive ordinance!!! HELLLP!!!"  Or if the opponent has better situational awareness avoid dodging, but you will still have the advantage. There is no way an A mech could take on a head on attack from a c mech without "dancing" around it for awhile.

Edited by 86, February 09 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#5 CeruleanSky

CeruleanSky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 08:11 AM

I find Air Dodging much more forgiving now. If my fuel ends and my target is still up then I can just dodge like a "normal" mech.

#6 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 11:23 AM

OP your team just had better team work...

Try 1v1 against a good B or C, it is hard due to the lower HP.  

Against a bruiser, you get tagged with hellfire then vulcan, and they have +200 HP over you... makes minced meat metal out of you pretty quick.  And if you get a few stray bullets coming your way, it's even faster to go down if you are flying around.

#7 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 13 2014 - 07:53 AM

View Postmittens800, on February 12 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

OP your team just had better team work...

Try 1v1 against a good B or C, it is hard due to the lower HP.  

Against a bruiser, you get tagged with hellfire then vulcan, and they have +200 HP over you... makes minced meat metal out of you pretty quick.  And if you get a few stray bullets coming your way, it's even faster to go down if you are flying around.

If anything can clear out Zerkers fast it's a Bruiser or nother Zerker with a Vulcan, been on both sides of both.
Bruiser tanks with its abillity, Vulcan Zerker does the same or more damage with more accuracy.

Vulcan mechs in general are a problem for Zerkers, but the Bruiser especially since it has hellfires.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users