HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Another Predator video!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:56 PM

I happen to be using the breacher more often than my eoc mines, practising on sniping charged breacher shots to pick off targets than laying traps; of course this is one of my preferred playstyles compared to other predator pilots. At least this is better than my previous run(front line). Peek a boo tactics and a radar scrambler work well with this mech. It has become of my favourite mechs to pilot since it requires more skill and strategy than any other mech which makes it a joy to become good in piloting it.

Edited by 86, April 18 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#2 Cannonstar

Cannonstar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:51 AM

Decent predator gameplay and good job with the breacher! It seems like you got the hang of it, but I got a few things to nitpick...

1. Not spotting targets
From what I've seen, your 'q' key doesn't get used. Predator has the unique advantage that it can see more on the battlefield when cloaked than other mechs. Every time I see a target hiding behind a wall or approaching from afar, I always call them out. It helps your teammates to focus their attack vector. In the video, you were just solo'ing and doing your own thing instead of supporting your team. It's not a bad thing and it's totally fine to solo if that's how you roll. However if you want to be a significant threat on the battlefield, you need to be a teamplayer and play to Predator's strengths to help support your team fight better.

2. Not leading your shots
You usually shoot at where the enemy is, not where they will be. You can shave off few milliseconds if you learn to lead your shots instead of waiting for them to stand still in your crosshair.

3. Taking the first shot
I cringe everytime you take the first shot while cloaked with your teammates around you because sometimes you had the perfect opportunity to ghost for a few more seconds to let your teammate lure away an enemy mech from their group, then you could get behind it and ambush him from behind without losing your cloak.

just my $0.02.

#3 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 01:56 PM

Not bad, but you still have a long way to goes my friend, I'll add you and see if we can have a game or two ;)

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#4 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 03:51 PM

FYI, i have a ping of about 4-20 in this server(south Asia), yeah so there is almost no need for me to 'lead' my shots unless ping is higher than say '100'...when playing on Oceania Servers, i DO lead my shots only when ping over there is roughly between 150-170 ping.

When you're experiencing pings between 4-20...everything is awesome. :D

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted February 25 2014 - 05:14 PM

Nice job 86, way to show how to play Pred.

But yeah, try to spot targets and don't take the first shot when you're with your team unless you're absolutely sure you can finish the guy before he runs off.  Also, the uncharged Breacher shotgun mode is very handy, and it can reach pretty far (at least short to medium range) since it's spread is less than most shotguns.  Try to use it! :)

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 25 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#6 Invect

Invect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 09:24 PM

I've got a bit of a question here: can players hear your footsteps while you're in Stalker Mode_

#7 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hey Lightangel, received your friend request...i mainly play at South/North asia servers rather than US servers(Pings over 200 there...god) And @Invect Nope, when you are in stalker mode, no one will notice that they will come towards you. But do take note on a couple things that you might still be able to give away your prescence when u:

Walk over/knock stuff over.(Example those occasional gas tanks and steel containers and other destructible objects you would find in prosk,wreckage, facility and bunker) So DONT WALK OVER THEM.

ALWAYS avoid LINE OF SIGHT with the enemy; You may be cloaked but people can still spot you immediately:(a cloacked pred looks like a faint shimmering figure). One of the best tactics is to shoot and dodge immediately behind cover to wait for the cloak to return and look for another ambush opportunity.

Edited by 86, February 25 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#8 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 07:48 AM

In stalker mode, your footsteps are fainter. Hardly audible from my own experience.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#9 L4r90

L4r90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:21 AM

Decent gameplay... I maxed my Pred a week ago and during that time I've learned a few things you HAVE to consider while picking this mech;

- spot targets! your teammates benefit greatly from this/ if you have a pred in your team and he marks a wall you'll have to keep in mind that the enemy is behind that thing!

- try to flank as often as possible. while it may seem like a decent mech in 1v1 scenarios, you have to deal with the fact that your DPS is quite low and that's keeping in mind that every shot's on target

- I personally use the Breacher only on maps where I know that I'll be close to my targets (iE Origin, Prosk) but stick to the EOC in all other maps since the burst is higher and can be used to surpress enemies around corners... while you set your other EOC pucks to trap them^^

- stay out of line of sight in general! even more so when there's a Bruiser or Roketeer on the enemy team since their Missiles can lock onto you even while in Stalker-mode

- also try playing around with your items. i saw you use the scanner once in the vid i think and besides that only when you where in a pinch. I like to take Holograms MKII and place one or two decoys where the enemy expects me to be at, while I myself flank then while they are busy shooting at them

- also: HUNT down other Preds and Infiltrators... you are the only one who can stalk them effectively xD

#10 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 12:40 PM

Oh that is a grand joy for me! Hunting down other would be predators!!!

Love it! Think you can out pred me, no , boom!! Rarely do I find a challenger.

Edited by Lightangel112, February 26 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#11 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 01:47 AM

That was a scrambler XD to fuzzy bunny up the enemies radars, since im aware of the fact that firing or boosting would put my position on the radar, the radar scrambler prevents the enemy from pinpointing exactly where am I.

Edited by 86, February 27 2014 - 01:48 AM.

#12 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 01:56 AM

Yeah radar scrambler works really well for predator.
I can sniper/flank someone then go back into hiding.
Problem is that scanner counters that too easily imo.

#13 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 11:35 PM

I prefer to use scanners over scramblers because I think scramblers can make the enemy more alert. If they suspect nothing you can easily come behind them, even when they try to repair.

#14 TheOccult

TheOccult

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 01:06 PM

View PostCannonstar, on February 25 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Decent predator gameplay and good job with the breacher! It seems like you got the hang of it, but I got a few things to nitpick...

1. Not spotting targets
From what I've seen, your 'q' key doesn't get used. Predator has the unique advantage that it can see more on the battlefield when cloaked than other mechs. Every time I see a target hiding behind a wall or approaching from afar, I always call them out. It helps your teammates to focus their attack vector. In the video, you were just solo'ing and doing your own thing instead of supporting your team. It's not a bad thing and it's totally fine to solo if that's how you roll. However if you want to be a significant threat on the battlefield, you need to be a teamplayer and play to Predator's strengths to help support your team fight better.

2. Not leading your shots
You usually shoot at where the enemy is, not where they will be. You can shave off few milliseconds if you learn to lead your shots instead of waiting for them to stand still in your crosshair.

3. Taking the first shot
I cringe everytime you take the first shot while cloaked with your teammates around you because sometimes you had the perfect opportunity to ghost for a few more seconds to let your teammate lure away an enemy mech from their group, then you could get behind it and ambush him from behind without losing your cloak.

just my $0.02.

Hey only been playing Hawken for about 3 weeks now, appreciate that info. Had no idea how to convey the info I see as the Predator or even what the "Q" key did. Thanks.

If it's worth anything, I try to play the flanks and ambush in the middle of firefights. As a newbie the only general tip I can give is to be aware of where your team is. As a flank ambusher you can easily become isolated and then you're useless because you can't take a whole team down by yourself. or even worse you become an easy kill. You want to support the team in fights, cause chaos and hit & run.

#15 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted March 08 2014 - 03:31 AM

Not bad ,but predator dont sems to do very good in TDM u need to play Siege For a Good Score in Predator

Posted Image

#16 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 12:11 PM

going to bump this thread for the benefit of potential pilots starting their first few hours in a predator. :)

#17 Fuerety

Fuerety

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostAboveTheSky, on March 08 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Not bad ,but predator dont sems to do very good in TDM u need to play Siege For a Good Score in Predator

I beg to differ, going against a team that likes to stay together, a predator can quickly change the fate of losing or winning. The predator can flank them, while they fight your team and tear them up with the EOC mines. I've gotten plenty of quadruple kills this way and even more double and triples doing this.  Especially when you EMP them.  There's been many times, I joined a match half done, down by 10.  And I changed the fate of the game and came out MVP on my team/match.  Other times, I've joined a match and we were losing due to the enemy team having a tech.  I'll target the tech and help my team significantly from losing 1vs2 battles due to that tech.

#18 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 18 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostAboveTheSky, on March 08 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

COUGH
I was stomping in it yesterday a few matches.
(you were there)

And when I joined my clannies I did really good as well.

Posted Image

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users